Transfer Portal

I first noticed Jane when my daughter played against her two years in a row. Then this past year, I had her on my fantasy team, so I watched a lot of their games. She is a strong, classy player, not dirty, not cheap. She is athletic and just plays the game the right way.

I first noticed Jane when my daughter played against her two years in a row. Then this past year, I had her on my fantasy team, so I watched a lot of their games. She is a strong, classy player, not dirty, not cheap. She is athletic and just plays the game the right way.
Wonder if the Gophers coaches have made contact with Asinde? Whichita State is a basketball school, and appears to have a decent team.

After losing the Cavinder Twins to retirement from basketball with one year eligibility left and Dentiny Harden to the WNBA draft, Miami just picked up guard Lenyah Hylton from Arizona who didn't play much her freshman year but was the #85 overall prospect (ESPN) last year.

With Miami, NIL is certainly a factor.

Miami also picked up from the transfer portal guard Ally Stedman of Pepperdine who a season ago made the conference All-Freshmen team and then this year averaged 15.6 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.1 assists while earning WCC Honorable Mention.

Miami also picked up a third guard Jaida Patrick of Columbia who was 2nd Team All Ivy league, averaging 12.5 points per game and 4.8 rebounds.

Buzz is growing that LSU could land forward Aneesah Morrow and guard Hailey Van Lith.

Morrow:
1682595295784.png

Van Lith:
1682595334044.png

The defending champion LSU also has the #1 recruiting class coming in.

After losing the Cavinder Twins to retirement from basketball with one year eligibility left and Dentiny Harden to the WNBA draft, Miami just picked up guard Lenyah Hylton from Arizona who didn't play much her freshman year but was the #85 overall prospect (ESPN) last year.

With Miami, NIL is certainly a factor.

Miami also picked up from the transfer portal guard Ally Stedman of Pepperdine who a season ago made the conference All-Freshmen team and then this year averaged 15.6 points, 3.3 rebounds, and 2.1 assists while earning WCC Honorable Mention.

Miami also picked up a third guard Jaida Patrick of Columbia who was 2nd Team All Ivy league, averaging 12.5 points per game and 4.8 rebounds.

Columbia to Miami U? Seems like Ivy League academics would take precedence here. From Ivy League to school with questionable academic reputation. She must think she is WNBA material. Otherwise get your IL degree!

Columbia to Miami U? Seems like Ivy League academics would take precedence here. From Ivy League to school with questionable academic reputation. She must think she is WNBA material. Otherwise get your IL degree!

The University of Miami is a great school -- where did you get the idea that it's questionable?

Miami is a very good school.

Like last year, it looks like the Gophers can't land transfer portal players. Last year it was so bad the team had to sign walk-on players to fill enough roster spots to get by. I hope this year is not that bad again.

The problem was that most the team left via the transfer portal lasts year leaving only 3 returning veterans, 2 who barely ever played due to injuries. Potential new transfer players surely looked at that, a team with just 3 players, and then went elsewhere.

The one position the team urgently needs now is another post/center player. The team lost Micheaux and Oberg (a transfer portal center from last year who wasn't very good). Sure, Czinano or Holloway could play there if needed but both are 6' 0".

Losing out on wing/shooting guard players is unfortunate but not as "must" since the team could play some of the young players with no experience. The team has enough players there; we just don't know what they can do. I think the system Coach P runs needs decent players there, shooting from the perimeter and strong defenders.

For point guard behind Battle, the team lost Borowicz. It would be nice to have a veteran ball handler there and as maybe as a sixth man role. Sure, Braun and others could bring the ball up if needed. I don't think freshmen should be thrown into that role too soon.

It definitely looks like this team needs to be good at recruiting locally to bring in talent. Unfortunately all the top 2024's from Minnesota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, North Dakota, and Michigan have already declared their schools and none picked Minnesota. Illinois has a couple uncommitted players.

This team is crippled as far as attracting talent.

If it wasn't for GG following Coach P to Minnesota, the Gophers would have not a single ranked player coming in this year. Sure, the others coming in look promising. We just don't know what to expect or how long until they are ready.

The promise of the Fab Four masks a team that looks crippled to me.

Once they start winning then that will correct. Gophers are not going to be another 4 conference win team next season like they were this year.

To help in that cause, it would help a lot if they could get two good players from the transfer portal that could help. Not walk-ons.

OK, one. Hopefully one. At this point I would say getting one good player would be progress. Next year should be better.

Well this post didn't add anything new. Just saying it hasn't been a good transfer portal season for the second year in a row now. The sooner this team creates distance from the 4 win conference season and most the team leaving last season, the better.

The transfer portal so far has been a zero.
Not high on Czinano at post or guard, and Holloway is a TBD. This team needs to land some veteran player's from the TP to weather the storm this season. Czinano is the only player left over from 21 recruit class.

Jane Asinde just entered the Portal, out of Wichita State. She is a 6’1” F, a Senior, with one year of eligibility left. She would be a fantastic pick up - she plays with Confidence and Class.

She moves well. I'm going to guess she's more of a power forward playing post. You'ld give up some high-percentage low post scoring and gain a more dynamic offense because she can move well. More towards small ball or positionless basketball end of the spectrums.

This team has to get an experienced post player in the portal for rotation minutes as urgent like alarm bells going off. The Gophers play in the Big Ten.

I don't mean to diss Zie but she hasn't proven she's a rotation player. She didn't do much at Stony Brook and then she's coming from Western Nebraska Community College in the Region IX Division.

Between handing out scholarships to community college players and walk-ons....

Look at the rosters for the other Big Ten teams.

Those good starters for the Gophers are going to be squandered if depth falls off a cliff.

She is a grad transfer and thus has an Ivy degree under her belt. Also, she went to Duke for two years prior to Columbia, so she definitely has her academic priorities straight!

The Ivy League doesn’t allow student-athletes to be enrolled in a graduate program (one of their many antiquated rules IMO), so even if she wanted to stay, she couldn’t.

Other Ivy players who did the same include Katie Benzan (Harvard —> Maryland), Abby Meyers (Princeton —> Maryland), and LBK (Cornell —> UMN).

On a related note, Coach P should ABSOLUTELY be going after Columbia grad xfer Kaitlyn Davis. 6’0” forward who recorded the program’s first triple-double this past season.

Last edited:

She moves well. I'm going to guess she's more of a power forward playing post. You'ld give up some high-percentage low post scoring and gain a more dynamic offense because she can move well. More towards small ball or positionless basketball end of the spectrums.

This team has to get an experienced post player in the portal for rotation minutes as urgent like alarm bells going off. The Gophers play in the Big Ten.

I don't mean to diss Zie but she hasn't proven she's a rotation player. She didn't do much at Stony Brook and then she's coming from Western Nebraska Community College in the Region IX Division.

Between handing out scholarships to community college players and walk-ons....

Look at the rosters for the other Big Ten teams.

Those good starters for the Gophers are going to be squandered if depth falls off a cliff.
I agree about Zie, although she led the national JCs in field go percentage and she has played against mature players, I don't think I ever heard any positive steam from summer workouts before she blew her achilles tendon last year. On the other hand, Hart has limited game experience but she has a ton of experience practicing against some of the best competition. Hart was highly ranked coming out of HS like Oberg (40th and 38th overall respectively) but I hope it translates better at Minnesota given the higher level of competition she practiced against. I am optimistic about Hart but time will tell especially considering I was optimistic about Oberg.

I never understood the transfer of Öberg. I watched both her and Hart when they were in AAU and high school, and I would definitely rank Hart well above Oberg as far as skills. I was not impressed by Oberg’s mobility, or rather the lack thereof, for her position. Given that they just finished postseason workouts for this year, maybe she got feedback from the new coaches, and this is why she’s in the portal.

Miami is a very good school.
I’m sure it is, but it’s not Ivy League. Assuming this player’s academic progress was fine at Columbia, I’m just saying that to transfer to Miami isn’t the best move academically. Athletically it may make sense, but Ivy League grads have it made.

I never understood the transfer of Öberg. I watched both her and Hart when they were in AAU and high school, and I would definitely rank Hart well above Oberg as far as skills. I was not impressed by Oberg’s mobility, or rather the lack thereof, for her position. Given that they just finished postseason workouts for this year, maybe she got feedback from the new coaches, and this is why she’s in the portal.
She announced she was leaving at end of season. Oberg participated in Senior day at the U. Believe she is looking to play as a grad transfer and one more year of school.

She announced she was leaving at end of season. Oberg participated in Senior day at the U. Believe she is looking to play as a grad transfer and one more year of school.
I am guessing the transfer announcement was only delayed because she had to decide if she really wants to continue playing and grad school or just get a job. It was probably pretty clear to her she wasn't going to play enough to stick around here for grad school.

I always thought Oberg had good footwork and nice touch, good passer but just a bit slow.

Not high on Czinano at post or guard, and Holloway is a TBD. This team needs to land some veteran player's from the TP to weather the storm this season. Czinano is the only player left over from 21 recruit class.
I though she would get a couple good players out of WV

I though she would get a couple good players out of WV
imho I'm not shocked at all B1G and big 12 basketball are a bit different in style.. like what players fit in the conference.. plus we have 3 cornerstone players so it's not like the cupboards are empty here.. we truly only need a backup PG/Post from the portal..

imho I'm not shocked at all B1G and big 12 basketball are a bit different in style.. like what players fit in the conference.. plus we have 3 cornerstone players so it's not like the cupboards are empty here.. we truly only need a backup PG/Post from the portal..
We need a veteran PG from the transfer portal. One that can lead the team, has a pass first mentality, and not turn the ball over in bunches. Something this team has not had for several years now. and hopefully a tall PG.

We need a veteran PG from the transfer portal. One that can lead the team, has a pass first mentality, and not turn the ball over in bunches. Something this team has not had for several years now. and hopefully a tall PG.

Yes, true. I believe Amaya Battle is that player. She has the keys to the car until her college basketball career is done. I think the combination of what she learned from Lindsay Whalen and then the proven systems-coaching of the new coaches is everything Battle needs to be that point guard girl. Battle owns that position.

But who dribbles and passes when Battle is not on the court? Who brings the ball up court.

One thing Borowicz did exceptionally well was dribbling. She could fly through traffic, stop on a dime... She's done with basketball now. I have no idea how well the other guards can do that. I'm guessing Kennedy Klick may be able to. The others look more like off ball guards. Ajok Madol is a mystery player. She may be more than expected or not. She seems to be a wing but how would any of us know if she can run the point.

Anyway, if there's not someone when Battle is not on the court the team could be in trouble. Having 7 off dribble guards/wings/small forwards and only 1 point guard could be a problem.

Does anyone actually know?

Yes, true. I believe Amaya Battle is that player. She has the keys to the car until her college basketball career is done. I think the combination of what she learned from Lindsay Whalen and then the proven systems-coaching of the new coaches is everything Battle needs to be that point guard girl. Battle owns that position.

But who dribbles and passes when Battle is not on the court? Who brings the ball up court.

One thing Borowicz did exceptionally well was dribbling. She could fly through traffic, stop on a dime... She's done with basketball now. I have no idea how well the other guards can do that. I'm guessing Kennedy Klick may be able to. The others look more like off ball guards. Ajok Madol is a mystery player. She may be more than expected or not. She seems to be a wing but how would any of us know if she can run the point.

Anyway, if there's not someone when Battle is not on the court the team could be in trouble. Having 7 off dribble guards/wings/small forwards and only 1 point guard could be a problem.

Does anyone actually know?
No player has "the keys to the car until their career is over" - unless your CC.
Positive that Coach P will continue to upgrade the lineup with transfers and new recruits. Players will need to compete for a position. You see that already happening. The old regime is gone.

No player has "the keys to the car until their career is over" - unless your CC.
Positive that Coach P will continue to upgrade the lineup with transfers and new recruits. Players will need to compete for a position. You see that already happening. The old regime is gone.
I agree. While Battle showed promise as a freshman, the fact remains that she had almost as many turnovers as assists. She's going to have to show more focus and protect the ball better before she's given "the keys to the car".

Into the transfer portal is forward/center Sierra Morrow from Miami (OH) in the Mid-American Conference. She's from Minneapolis, MN.

I have no idea how her game would perform in the Big Ten. I believe she would be a senior. Has moved up the ranks from community college where she was named Defensive Player of the Year and Conference Player of the Year. Then went to Bradley. Then played for Miami (Ohio) Redhawks where it looks like she plateau'ed.

Attachments

• 1682819034993.png
    1682819034993.png
    550.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Top Bottom