Transfer Portal

View attachment 25070

No update (at least publicly) on Hottinger yet but last night we got an update on Wilke. Final five...and Gophers are going against HEAVY HITTERS to get her services. If I'm a betting man, my money on Stanford or Marquette
I'll take the underdog Gophers. North Tartan influence and the NCAA streak and staff stability of Coach P.

Just two weeks have passed since ESPN's initial women's college basketball transfer rankings for the 2023-24 season, and already so much has changed. More than 1,000 players are in the transfer portal.

Gophers appear to have interest in transfer portal player Lauren Ware formerly of Arizona based on following on Twitter. She was viewed as one of the better players around and mentioned in this forum.

Her prior injuries may make other teams view her situation with caution. She'd be a great pickup for a team that has starter depth. Kind of sad for her to see the injury issues.

1681562930390.png

Last edited:

Also cross Ware off the list.. she has informed the Gophers not interested in coming here I've heard.

We saw that Maty Wilke had Marquette in her final 5 list. I wonder how the Hottinger commitment impacts her thoughts on Marquette?

Here was an interesting turn of events.

Gilbert put her name in the portal earlier this month but has withdrawn it and will remain with the Wildcats.

Gilbert, the 31st-ranked prospect in the class of 2022 per ESPN’s HoopGurlz, averaged 4.9 points in 10.6 minutes per game as a freshman this past season. She will compete with and possibly play alongside incoming freshman point guard Jada Williams.

With Gilbert returning, Williams and classmate Breya Cunningham joining the program and three portal additions so far (Isis Beh, West Virginia; Courtney Blakely, Middle Tennessee State; Salimatou Kourouma, Little Rock), Adia Barnes’ roster for the 2023-24 season currently sits at 10 players.

This actually surprises me. I would want her or Kramer. Probably not both.

Is her sister still committed to South Dakota? There may be some family connection.
Lehigh WBB grad transfer Mackenzie Kramer committedt to Clemson

We saw that Maty Wilke had Marquette in her final 5 list. I wonder how the Hottinger commitment impacts her thoughts on Marquette?
Utah would be the most likely a landing spot for Wilke.

Wilke wanted to be on a winner and in the NCAA tournament . Utah has been very good

Well that sux, I was looking forward to seeing WIlke in a Gopher jersey. On to hoping for Hottinger or perhaps Ware, if they feel she can get healthy

Well that sux, I was looking forward to seeing WIlke in a Gopher jersey. On to hoping for Hottinger or perhaps Ware, if they feel she can get healthy

Hottinger committed to Marquette and Ware isn't coming here.

Dawn Plitzuweit's first season must show or produce positive results.

It is so far! All her coaches followed her along with GG. At least wait a couple weeks until the portal closes before any exasperation because candidates went elsewhere. We will get the right fit.
She's already accomplished a lot with the GG commitment and has her entire coaches with her. She will make a big splash with transfers and recruits with a solid first season.

Gopher Portal Update:

So far roughly five players had been mentioned around the Gophers in Portal season and I wanted to break down more so which ones were actually misses for the Staff compared to just fleeting interest.

Went after hard/visited:

-Frannie Hottinger
-Maty Wilke

Took at visit but staff knew long shot:

-Lexi Donarski

Little mutual interest/did not visit

-Lauren Ware
-Kenzie Kramer

So of these five, I would really only say two were "misses" or ones they tried hard for this portal season.

Now I do know there was a Portal Recruit here this weekend but have not been able to confirm who it was. I would also like to end any wild theories that Morrow or Van Lith is looking at the Gophers. Just no.

Personally (with no knowledge from players/staff/other) looking at the roster my educated guess would looking to add a backup PG and a backup Center from the Portal.

One possibility for a back up center would be Ila Lane, 6’4, from UCSB. Local connection is that the UCSB coach is from Willmar Minnesota.

One possibility for a back up center would be Ila Lane, 6’4, from UCSB. Local connection is that the UCSB coach is from Willmar Minnesota.
Seem like a good option.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4595216/ila-lane

Another reason she might want to go to the U is that it has a program she is interested in "Career aspirations are to become a speech pathologist"

https://www.ucsbgauchos.com/sports/w-baskbl/2019-20/bios/lane_ila_7agl?view=bio

Why Maty Wilke chose Utah.

According to the 5-foot-10 guard, Utah was one of the final schools she considered choosing before initially deciding to play for UW and then-coach Jonathan Tsipis. An inability to take official visits due to the COVID-19 pandemic greatly impacted that recruitment process.

Wilke finally got the chance to visit Salt Lake City last weekend and after also visiting the Golden Gophers and Golden Eagles after entering the transfer portal March 29, there was no second-guessing where she wanted to be.

“Actually going to see it in person this time around, I kind of just fell in love with everything about it,” Wilke said.
“The city, the mountains and just the people are really why I kind of chose to go there. Obviously it’s far from home, so knowing I’m going to be taken care of, I’m going to be pushed and I’m going to be a better basketball player, as well as a person, that was what stood out to me.”

It also helped having the comfort of playing for a familiar face in coach Lynne Roberts that has Wilke opting for a new shade of red.

“I love coach Roberts there … and it’s not like one coach was better than the other, it’s just a different style and a whole different vibe,” Wilke said.
Roberts has led the Utes since 2015 and helped turn them into one of the top teams in the Pac-12 Conference. Utah won a share of the league regular-season title for the first time this year at 15-13, finishing with a 27-5 record and a Sweet 16 appearance in the NCAA Tournament

Note: Just reposting what I posted on Tuesday now that its official.

Celeste Taylor from Duke committed to Ohio State during her visit last weekend and made it public today. That is a massive addition for a program that's looking to get over the hump and reach the Final Four.

ACC DPOY, Duke's leading scorer this season, Naismith DPOY Finalist (top 4 defensive player in the nation), and projected late 1st rd pick had she declared for the 2023 WNBA draft.

Her and Jacy Sheldon are going to wreak absolute havoc in that press. Going to make it a living hell for other teams in terms of ball security. I can easily see this team forcing close to 20 T/Os a game next season.

Top Bottom