Transfer Portal

I wonder if the Gophers are considering/talking to transfer player Maddie Nolan of Michigan with one year of eligibility left. She's a Midwest, Big Ten player.

Too many good players to keep track of in the portal.

Again, if the Gophers can retain what they have, that's a big win.

I don't envy these coaches in the new NIL era. The fans look at the portal and say look at all this talent, but I think we are starting to see how important fit is with these players. Your have to be willing to have those tough conversations and manage expectations of what you're offering and how they still need to earn their spot. Because in the end it could we even worse to make those promises to a star player and you find out they aren't a good fit and you end up with this disgruntled player disrupting the team chemistry.

I don't envy these coaches in the new NIL era. The fans look at the portal and say look at all this talent, but I think we are starting to see how important fit is with these players. Your have to be willing to have those tough conversations and manage expectations of what you're offering and how they still need to earn their spot. Because in the end it could we even worse to make those promises to a star player and you find out they aren't a good fit and you end up with this disgruntled player disrupting the team chemistry.
"...disrupting the team chemistry." Especially, for those who chose your team because you gave her/him the most money. Now try and coach her/him.

"...disrupting the team chemistry." Especially, for those who chose your team because you gave her/him the most money. Now try and coach her/him.
I'm waiting for the day that 3 guys who each ponied up 25k for their guy's NIL, pounding on the coaches door every day wondering why my guy isn't being featured as much as the other guy. If we though parents could be disruptive, just wait until 3 business competitors with 25k invested want their guy to be the face of the team as opposed to have invested all that money on a guy coming off the bench.

I think someone posted they had heard the Gopher walk-ons were not returning. Maria is in the transfer portal.

Iowa reported halting season ticket sales after swamped with thousands of requests. Observers say that Iowa's success will fuel financial support for the transfer portal.

Lesson: Winning creates winning.

Here is another item: The overwhelming majority of women college basketball athletes do not make the headline numbers. Women's basketball more most players does not take shocking dollar amounts. This is a sport to make inroads for less money than other sports.

Right now women's basketball is a value buy for sponsorship and so forth. Get in now while the price is at a discount.

6' 3" post forward Ioanna Chatzileonti of Kansas is in the portal. She's originally from Greece. I think she will be a senior.

This season she underperformed expectations a bit.

More than 900 in the transfer portal, according to the Athletic.

Wilson was the #99 prospect per ESPN.

Last edited:

Exactly. Look @ MD who lost 5 players including superstar Angel Reese and big time scorers Ashley Owusu and Mimi Collins. They were back to the Elite 8.
Sometimes you add by subtraction. Not all players fit the coaching scheme or personalities don't match with current players.

Gophers have anyone visit? Anyone have the Gophers on their final list? Thanks.

Like half of Stanford will end up in portal

Can Dawn P sell Minnesota as a place to play the foil to Caitlin Clark at a big Iowa rival? lol

I wonder where she will sign.

We thank Hailey for her contributions to this program, this school and this community,” Louisville coach Jeff Walz said Saturday. “She has done everything we have asked of her over the past three years, and we wish her the very best in her final collegiate season and beyond.”

Van Lith, a junior, per game produced 19.7 points, 4.5 rebounds, 3.2 assists and 1.5 steals. Van Lith was the only player from a Power 5 conference who averaged at least 19 points, 4 rebounds and 3 assists per game.

Last edited:

I'm waiting for the day that 3 guys who each ponied up 25k for their guy's NIL, pounding on the coaches door every day wondering why my guy isn't being featured as much as the other guy. If we though parents could be disruptive, just wait until 3 business competitors with 25k invested want their guy to be the face of the team as opposed to have invested all that money on a guy coming off the bench.
I read an article that very thing will be happening - not if, but when.

Last edited:

Van Lith is signed with Adidas. I assume she will go to an Adidas school.

Louisville Cardinals
Indiana Hoosiers
Miami Hurricanes
Mississippi State Bulldogs
Arizona State University
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Kansas Jayhawks
North Carolina State Wolfpack
Washington Huskies
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Texas A&M Aggies

1680966260095.png

PROJECTION: Van Lith could end up with Indiana. Top Indiana guard Grace Berger is entering the WNBA draft. Indiana has clout to bring in a marquee player like Van Lith.

1680967652576.png

Note that Louisville was an Adidas school.

Van Lith is signed with Adidas. I assume she will go to an Adidas school.

Louisville Cardinals
Indiana Hoosiers
Miami Hurricanes
Mississippi State Bulldogs
Arizona State University
Nebraska Cornhuskers
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Kansas Jayhawks
North Carolina State Wolfpack
Washington Huskies
Rutgers Scarlet Knights
Texas A&M Aggies

View attachment 25016

PROJECTION: Van Lith could end up with Indiana. Top Indiana guard Grace Berger is entering the WNBA draft. Indiana has clout to bring in a marquee player like Van Lith.

View attachment 25019

Note that Louisville was an Adidas school.

Guessing Indiana. Pre-season Top 10. For her it's an inside track to the Final Four, ton-o-Adidas $$$, and she probably wants to mess with Clark as a bonus. Hell, with her, it might a lot about Clark. Between her dad and her they've been a self-promoting business since HS (IMHO).

I'll just dislike Indiana even more than I do know. ;)

I would guess that Hailey Van Lith would be heading to Washington. As they are an Adidas program, and she is already sponsored by Adidas, that would be a good fit. (Although, she’s a big enough name that she could change sponsorships pretty easily.) Especially since she’s from there, and just had a fantastic experience playing in front of her “home crowd” during the tournament. The “do not contact” is probably because she talked to her current coach, before announcing this decision. Then she called the Washington coach. Is it that difficult to think that a player made her decision without being illegally contacted by a coach?

That was a fast refill. Fred Chmiel the new coach of Bowling Green.

Some had mentioned Chmiel for the Gophers job. He was an assistant at South Carolina and briefly an assistant at Minnesota for Stollings.

This NIL and portal system has become all about maximizing pay in college, not about being a team and supporting student athletes. This will turn coaches into Mercenary's for hire too and lead to more cheating, and pressure to win at all cost. Creating skeezers like Jon Ruiz, agents, and who knows what other underworld money, and sports betting , gambling schemes and shadyness will become involved. NCAA grants waivers like free agency. Wish that there was a uniform NIL contract and scale system for all to follow for schools. It is better than it was for players but this system is turning out to be what MLB baseball system is in pro ball but worse, Super power franchises and Never winners, with few exceptions. Sports is big business but this is going to get out of hand fast.

Last edited:

One person's top portal players list:

Aneesah Morrow, DePaul

Hailey Van Lith, Louisville

Kiki Jefferson, James Madison

Te-Hina Paopao, Oregon

Lauren Betts, Stanford

Taina Mair, Boston College

Lexi Donarski, Iowa State

Frannie Hottinger, Lehigh

Kennedy Fauntleroy, Georgetown

Shayeann Day-Wilson, Duke

Lauren Park-Lane, Seton Hall

Kayla Padilla, Penn

Kaitlyn Davis, Columbia

Ashley Owusu, Virginia Tech

Heavy suggestive buzz about Hailey Van Lith headed to LSU. Wow.

Angel Reese has been liking posts all morning about Haley Van Lith including this:

That follows a mysterious happy face signal Tweet Reese made.

Plus Van Lith's final two choices entering college were coach Jeff Walz at Louisville and coach Kim Mulkey when she was at Baylor. She chose Louisville.

Last edited:

I read somewhere last week that Hottinger was visiting MN on Friday. Has there been any update on her situation?

Hottinger to Minnesota sounds great! (y)

Top Bottom