Transfer Portal Question

Gophergrandpa

Reaction score
If a player enters the transfer portal before his team’s bowl game, can he still play in the bowl game? Is it a decision for the team’s coaches, or is there a uniform rule? A lot of schools are seeing starters in the portal, not just depth players. Could be some depleted rosters if transfer portal entries and nfl opt-outs cannot play.

If a player enters the transfer portal before his team’s bowl game, can he still play in the bowl game? Is it a decision for the team’s coaches, or is there a uniform rule? A lot of schools are seeing starters in the portal, not just depth players. Could be some depleted rosters if transfer portal entries and nfl opt-outs cannot play.
"...if transfer portal entries and nfl opt-outs cannot play." Or choose not to.

I don't know the "rules."

But, if a player announces that he wants to leave, I don't see any situation where the coaches would want that player to be part of the bowl game prep.

if you know that Joe Blow is leaving, you want to get a younger player at that position as much work as possible to help prepare that player to replace Joe Blow.

and, what if Joe Blow blows out his knee in the bowl game - then he's hosed and his new team is hosed.

Teams have the 85-scholarship limit plus walk-ons. So if you have 100 players, and (let's say) 15 go portal or opt-out, you still have 85 players available for the bowl game.

if you don't have enough depth to cope with that, then you have other problems. The Gophers had over 30 players miss the Nebraska game with covid issues in 2020, and they still won.

I have another….

If a player declares for the portal and doesn’t get picked up by anyone he felt that is good enough for him by the portal deadline 1/15/2023, then does he still get to stay with the original team?

Telling a girlfriend you want to break up and then found no one better so now you want to get back together!

🤔

Or is it more like when you declares for the portal then that equates to you quit the team. Once you quit, no more coming back! But I’ve seen couple of tweet from players that declared for portal and then backed out and tweeted they changed their minds and will stay….(i.e. this Colorado player this week)

I have another….

If a player declares for the portal and doesn’t get picked up by anyone he felt that is good enough for him by the portal deadline 1/15/2023, then does he still get to stay with the original team?

Telling a girlfriend you want to break up and then found no one better so now you want to get back together!

🤔

Or is it more like when you declares for the portal then that equates to you quit the team. Once you quit, no more coming back! But I’ve seen couple of tweet from players that declared for portal and then backed out and tweeted they changed their minds and will stay….(i.e. this Colorado player this week)
My understanding is that it's neither of the two scenarios you set out. When a player enters the portal, the current school may, but does not have to, cancel their aid immediately. If a player decides he wants to come back, the original school may, but does not have to, take him back.

My understanding is that it's neither of the two scenarios you set out. When a player enters the portal, the current school may, but does not have to, cancel their aid immediately. If a player decides he wants to come back, the original school may, but does not have to, take him back.
This is my understanding as well. Player can leave the portal, but school is not obligated to take them back. I think if they are in the portal, they cannot participate in the sport while in the portal.

Top Bottom