Transfer Portal 2024

W
If Woodson were to come to MN would Olivia Olson opt to reopen her recruiting to possibly come to MN as well?
I have no idea if she is interested in MN. She did well in the Big10 tournament. She might be looking to move up to a better program.

If I am not an athlete I can transfer to different colleges at anytime, so why can't I if I am an athlete? Maybe something in life has changed,
You are partly right that non-athletes can transfer at any time. However, non-athletes are very constrained because they would lose scholarship monies and they would lose time towards graduation. Many schools allocate most of their scholarship monies to incoming freshmen and not much to transfer students or upperclassmen. If students do not get a good scholarship package as a freshman, they won’t get much more as an upperclassman with improved academics. Secondly, often some of a student’s courses or credits will not transfer to another college. Furthermore, they may be out of sequence at the new school because they do not have the right prerequisites for courses or key courses are not offered every semester. Thus, most students cannot transfer because they would lose time and money. As an academic, I would be shocked to see the strings that athletic departments can pull for athletes who are transferring one or more times. I can envision things like “let’s count Weightlifting for Algebra because they involve numbers.” Or, Fitness for Philosophy because they both have the “f” sound. Or, waving the Speech requirement because athletes do interviews and know trash talking.

That’s two key contributors from Michigan?

I thought they were on the upswing. We can only assume something must be wrong in the locker room. 😂🤔
Down 4 decent to key contributors , Phelia plus

Taylor Woodson, 6’0, F, Fr. (1.9 ppg)

Taylor Williams, 6’2, F, Sr. (4.3 ppg)

Cameron Williams, 6’3, F, Sr. (7.5 ppg, 4.6 rpg)

As Michigan's team seems to be falling apart, consider this quote from Olivia regarding her decision to pick Michigan:

“Everyone loves each other there”​

Here is a link to the article: https://www.startribune.com/olivia-...ol-recruiting-benilde-st-margarets/600206133/

Maybe those things aren't true any more, but that doesn't mean she will ask for her release.
She has to be asking questions.

I jested before because every program has transfers. But this many in a place they are likely getting paid points to something not right internally.

This transfer portal is already stressing me out. I want a couple players but holy moly a lot of girls are entering the portal!

This transfer portal is already stressing me out. I want a couple players but holy moly a lot of girls are entering the portal!
Just keeps getting crazier. What is wrong in Michigan? Be interesting too see how aggressive Iowa gets now in the portal. Maybe some of these recent players are seeking Iowa, SC, UConn, etc. Ugh. If the game is going to grow more other people need to continue taking new teams to new success.

Just keeps getting crazier. What is wrong in Michigan? Be interesting too see how aggressive Iowa gets now in the portal. Maybe some of these recent players are seeking Iowa, SC, UConn, etc. Ugh. If the game is going to grow more other people need to continue taking new teams to new success.
Been reading that Iowa can't be too aggressive in the portal because they have only 1 open scholarship for next year.

"Michigan star Laila Phelia has entered the transfer portal... was Michigan’s leading scorer at 16.8 points per game.... Before the season, she told MLive she wanted to use NIL to create long-term business connections for herself and get more involved with community service projects. She’d partnered with Stadium and Main, an nonprofit NIL collective, to achieve those goals."

Wild guess that NIL is a major factor. Players must have someone telling them what they could get. We don't know but a guess.

And we don't know if someone's NIL has been capped because they need it for someone else.

We don't know.

Yeah they are targeting 1 top PG
Olsen for sure

Michigan has been ransacked! If Olson left too, Michigan would be hit with the worst pillaging since the Vikings, the real ones.

Maybe it's the other way. Maybe they had to save their NIL for Olson. Maybe she the soon to rule queen stays and others had to go?

Michigan has been ransacked! If Olson left too, Michigan would be hit with the worst pillaging since the Vikings, the real ones.

Maybe it's the other way. Maybe they had to save their NIL for Olson. Maybe she the soon to rule queen stays and others had to go?
The 5-member recruiting class is larger than their current team of four.

Hard to imagine the cash would be so attractive that she would be the only high level player left on the roster. I’m guessing the defections at Michigan are not just about money.

The girl from Villanova for one Iowa is targeting

The 5-member recruiting class is larger than their current team of four.

Yea, a top.10 recruiting class is coming in. How can they afford all that? Olson alone has worth. I wonder if she's gone after one year. Have to.pay up..

I posted this on another thread as well. There is a lot of talk currently on social media about collectives, which can go after players during the season and not have to let the player’s current coach know they are talking to them. This talk is used in reference to Iriafen at Stanford, but also saying that it is happening all over the country.

I posted this on another thread as well. There is a lot of talk currently on social media about collectives, which can go after players during the season and not have to let the player’s current coach know they are talking to them. This talk is used in reference to Iriafen at Stanford, but also saying that it is happening all over the country.
We used to hear that rules needed to be in place to help high school athletes keep some peace in their lives during the recruiting process. It now appears that something has to be in place to stop the "legal" tampering. There isn't an industry in this country that would tolerate that. The sport needs to establish some rules for all of this that are in the athletes best interests, or go to a straight contract system that protects the interests of both schools and athletes.

I'm not sure what needs to happen to stop the insanity, but something does.

I wanted to dismiss the NIL talk for Olson, but I just found this old quote from her in a Strib article from 2021 about her discussing a lawn care business she started:

"And that goes for Liv's Lawns, a lawn care business she has set up. "I love making money," she said simply. "So I'll do whatever.""

Top Bottom