Transfer DB Tyler Bride from Georgia Southern Commits to Gophers!!

definitely would be a take to me. would add another veteran guy as well who has played a lot of football.

PJ putting on a clinic on how to patch a roster hole.

PJ who should we look at to fill these spots?

PJ:

7zw2jzv.gif

I wouldn't be suprised if PJ asked the compliance office if retired NFL players were an option ...

I want him and I also want Markevious Brown. Anyone know if we have room for both or would take both?

I want him and I also want Markevious Brown. Anyone know if we have room for both or would take both?

We do not. There is one spot left now. Bride technically hasn't been offered yet, but would be shocked if that doesn't take place this weekend.

Not sure anyone knows what is going on with Brown. He was supposed to visit Wiscy this week, but doesn't appear he did. No signs of another visit yet.

We do not. There is one spot left now. Bride technically hasn't been offered yet, but would be shocked if that doesn't take place this weekend.

Not sure anyone knows what is going on with Brown. He was supposed to visit Wiscy this week, but doesn't appear he did. No signs of another visit yet.
When you say one spot, do you mean one db spot left or total scholarships? Based on my count here we have 3 scholarships open: https://gopherhole.com/boards/threads/current-2023-scholarship-outlook.108478/

Now, we do have two past walk-ons that got scholarships, but I don't explicitly count them as my impression is that it is technically a year to year thing that has to be renewed. Since we don't see news on renewals it's hard to tell. If both did get renewed then we indeed only have one scholarship spot left overall.

When you say one spot, do you mean one db spot left or total scholarships? Based on my count here we have 3 scholarships open: https://gopherhole.com/boards/threads/current-2023-scholarship-outlook.108478/

Now, we do have two past walk-ons that got scholarships, but I don't explicitly count them as my impression is that it is technically a year to year thing that has to be renewed. Since we don't see news on renewals it's hard to tell. If both did get renewed then we indeed only have one scholarship spot left overall.

Everything I've read said this is the last spot we are filling as far as transfers.

Everything I've read said this is the last spot we are filling as far as transfers.
Surprised no OL, guess there wasn't an interesting enough guy (Filiaga level) that they wanted to take over the guys we have.

just stop and think for a moment about how much D1 sports have changed in the last couple of years. with freedom to transfer, the portal and NIL, it's a very different situation.

not that long ago, if you had injuries, or a couple of recruits at the same position just didn't pan out, your only choice was to try and find some JUCO or throw some true FR to the wolves.

now, you go to the Portal store and say, 'give me two CB and a LB please', and everything is ducky.
or if you have a sugar daddy, you go out and buy a couple of players on the open market.

not saying it's bad - just different.

Surprised no OL, guess there wasn't an interesting enough guy (Filiaga level) that they wanted to take over the guys we have.

From what I understand, our spots were limited and they felt LB and DBs were the high priority. Good OLs in the portal also seem to be in very high demand.

I think coaches decided to go with what we have in OL and backfill on the defense’s back seven.
Probably a good strategy considering that for the most part, the 3 yard and a cloud of dust days in the big 10 are over. Two more teams in our own division are about to start putting the ball in the air a lot more.

Probably a good strategy considering that for the most part, the 3 yard and a cloud of dust days in the big 10 are over. Two more teams in our own division are about to start putting the ball in the air a lot more.
The change to no-huddle, more offensive plays, more passing, and spread offenses with gaps for running backs in the West will stress defenses who will need to rotate fresh players in.
So more capable players will be needed to stop first downs so control the clock coaches can get on offense.

Just watched a bit of Bride playing against James Madison last year and came away pretty impressed. He had a really nice goal line interception to keep his team from going down 14-0. He kind of reminds me of Coney Durr, not a big guy, but seems eager to be physical and looks like a sound tackler. I think I saw he graded pretty highly in that regard per PFF.

Top Bottom