Tour of Spain (La Vuelta) - Bicycling

Full Speed Ahead

Reaction score
If you're at all into bike racing, you should check out the Tour of Spain right now. Pretty exciting stuff happening with Sepp Kuss. For those of you who don't watch, Sepp Kuss is an American who is the premier support guy in the world of cycling, he's the main person who helps others win the big races, what they call a "domestic". He's the guy who gets the water bottles and feed bags from the support cars and carries them to his teammates, and rides in critical stages of the races to the front so his teammates can ride easily in his draft saving their energy for the last steep climb or sprint. This particular race it worked out so that Sepp's in the lead, and instead of his two main teammates turning the favor and supporting him, yesterday they tried to crush him. It didn't work. Sepp's still in the lead.This was done after years of Sepp giving everything up in terms of personal wins to help those teammates win. The race is coming down to the final stage - here's to you Sepp, hang on to the jersey (and next year, try to get on a new team...) !!!

If you're at all into bike racing, you should check out the Tour of Spain right now. Pretty exciting stuff happening with Sepp Kuss. For those of you who don't watch, Sepp Kuss is an American who is the premier support guy in the world of cycling, he's the main person who helps others win the big races, what they call a "domestic". He's the guy who gets the water bottles and feed bags from the support cars and carries them to his teammates, and rides in critical stages of the races to the front so his teammates can ride easily in his draft saving their energy for the last steep climb or sprint. This particular race it worked out so that Sepp's in the lead, and instead of his two main teammates turning the favor and supporting him, yesterday they tried to crush him. It didn't work. Sepp's still in the lead.This was done after years of Sepp giving everything up in terms of personal wins to help those teammates win. The race is coming down to the final stage - here's to you Sepp, hang on to the jersey (and next year, try to get on a new team...) !!!

To their credit, Sepp's team Jumbo Visma did change course yesterday and support him to the finish line, specifically Roglic and Jonas V. If you listen to Armstrong's podcast, The Move, they lay out a fairly compelling case that the events of the stage the other day, where it looked like Roglic and Jonas V attacked Kuss, actually made sense but some of the things that they anticipated to happen with those attacks (like UAE's response) just did not happen. It was an interesting theory, who knows if that's what actually happened.

No doubt, Kuss is the ultimate domestique and is appreciated by his teammates; he's one of the most popular guys in cycling and he's rightfully going to win the red jersey in this year's Vuelta. A huge thing for American cycling, if only more people were watching.

It's been a fun tour to watch. The cycling events are the only reason I have Peacock and other than a few glitches it's been great watching La Vuelta and the Tour de France; the only gripe is there is often a fairly lengthy "dead period" where you can't access that day's race at all, like from the end of the broadcast to about 6-7 hours later, depending on the day.

As far as getting his own team, I'm pretty sure Kuss has one more year on his contract with Jumbo. The Jumbo dominance was cool for a while, a relief after watching Ineos dominate, but it's time for another team to step up!

Had to listen to the final few episodes of The Move podcast, discussing not just La Vuelta recap but also possible movements of riders with certain teams.

Decent speculation of the group that Primos Roglic could be on a different team next year despite having a year (I think?) left on his contract; speculation would be that he could be bought out by Ineos Grenadiers. Despite Ineos having some of the deepest pockets of any team in cycling, they don't currently have a TRUE contender for winning any of the top 3 Grand Tours; the Giro, The Tour and La Vuelta. They've got some strong young riders, some guys that could contend for the podium, but certainly not win it all.

That would be pretty amazing actually, as Primos is arguably one of the top 3 grand tour riders in the world right now with Jonas V and Pogacar.

Lots of rumors about what went down in the team bus with Jumbo during some of those last several mountain stages, whether they wanted to support Sepp Kuss to stay in the red jersey or let Primos and/or Jonas V try to overtake him.

The latest rumor was that Jonas V was on board with keeping Kuss in the red jersey with almost a week left and it was some of the team members, like Primos, that disagreed. Interesting. Puts Jonas V in a much better light and makes Roglic look like the bad guy here.

I guess there are rumors out there about Ineos buying the Soudal Quickstep team but that sounds less and less likely.

It would be nice to see the Jumbo team broken up a little bit before next season. They are just too strong, and I guess they've picked up at least one more really strong rider. It would be nice to see another team making a run.

Had to listen to the final few episodes of The Move podcast, discussing not just La Vuelta recap but also possible movements of riders with certain teams.

Decent speculation of the group that Primos Roglic could be on a different team next year despite having a year (I think?) left on his contract; speculation would be that he could be bought out by Ineos Grenadiers. Despite Ineos having some of the deepest pockets of any team in cycling, they don't currently have a TRUE contender for winning any of the top 3 Grand Tours; the Giro, The Tour and La Vuelta. They've got some strong young riders, some guys that could contend for the podium, but certainly not win it all.

That would be pretty amazing actually, as Primos is arguably one of the top 3 grand tour riders in the world right now with Jonas V and Pogacar.

Lots of rumors about what went down in the team bus with Jumbo during some of those last several mountain stages, whether they wanted to support Sepp Kuss to stay in the red jersey or let Primos and/or Jonas V try to overtake him.

The latest rumor was that Jonas V was on board with keeping Kuss in the red jersey with almost a week left and it was some of the team members, like Primos, that disagreed. Interesting. Puts Jonas V in a much better light and makes Roglic look like the bad guy here.

I guess there are rumors out there about Ineos buying the Soudal Quickstep team but that sounds less and less likely.

It would be nice to see the Jumbo team broken up a little bit before next season. They are just too strong, and I guess they've picked up at least one more really strong rider. It would be nice to see another team making a run.
I sent your post to a buddy who lives and breathes this stuff. His response:

Ya, internal team politics. Primos is a really good rider, a champion of several grand tours. And champions like to win.

The biggest issue is, if Primos wants to race Tour, he’ll need to go to another team. Jonas has shown he can win the Tour, so there’s no way they’ll put Primos on the Tour squad. Sepp will go b/c he can ride in support of Jonas without feeling like he needs to win.

And with Sepp showing he can win the Vuelta, it’s down to the Giro for Primos… which he won this year. I think Primos wanted to win the Vuelta this year b/c it would be his 4th GC win, tying the record for most GC wins at the Vuelta

We’ll see what happens in the next couple months

I sent your post to a buddy who lives and breathes this stuff. His response:

Ya, internal team politics. Primos is a really good rider, a champion of several grand tours. And champions like to win.

The biggest issue is, if Primos wants to race Tour, he’ll need to go to another team. Jonas has shown he can win the Tour, so there’s no way they’ll put Primos on the Tour squad. Sepp will go b/c he can ride in support of Jonas without feeling like he needs to win.

And with Sepp showing he can win the Vuelta, it’s down to the Giro for Primos… which he won this year. I think Primos wanted to win the Vuelta this year b/c it would be his 4th GC win, tying the record for most GC wins at the Vuelta

We’ll see what happens in the next couple months

If all 3 of them stay, I don't think anything changes next year; Primos will be the lead horse for the Giro and probably the Vuelta with Kuss riding in support. Not sure if Kuss races all three grand tours again next year, that was almost super human. It was a little bit of an outlier how Kuss ended up red after Stage 8, Jumba certainly didn't plan it that way. But he earned the red jersey and he kept it. Kuss will definitely be riding the Tour de France in support of Jonas V, above all else.

Like I said, I'm all for some riders shuffling teams, evening things out a little bit. If Roglic somehow made it onto Ineos and wanted to race the Tour next summer, I could see rooting for Roglic in that scenario.

I'm a huge Trek guy, all my bikes are Trek (except my TT/Tri bike) but it seems the Lidl-Trek team is mostly content gearing up for the sprint stages in the grand tours with riders like Mads Pedersen. It would be cool if they were more relevant on the grand stage but I'm content with them just making phenomenal bikes

And Roglic is leaving Jumbo-Visma

I like this!

And even more smoke, like billowing smoke, that Visma and Soudal are going to merge before too long. That would continue to shake things up even more. Sounds like it's virtually a done deal

Primos leaving Visma could mean, in the event of a Visma-Soudal merger, that Remco Evenepoel stays with that team rather than trying to find a new team. A newly formed Visma-Soudal team with Jonas V, Evenepoel, and Sepp Kuss flying up the grand tour mountain stages could be frightening

That merger would also open up availability for a WorldTour team license, the one vacated by Soudal. It sounds like that would more than likely be bought by Israel Premier Tech, although there would be others vying for that license as well.

Pretty cool breakdown of the current situation here, shamefully I'll cut and paste most of it:

>>The world of professional cycling was thrown into disarray last week with reports that a merger between two of the sport’s top teams, Jumbo-Visma and Soudal Quick-Step, is imminent and will be in place before the 2024 season, and that Jumbo-Visma star Primož Roglič will announce his intention to move to a new team for the 2024 in the coming days, with Ineos, Israel – Premier Tech, Lidl-Trek, Bahrain Victorious and Movistar rumored as the leading potential landing spots. Spencer Martin gives us his breakdown on the big merger story.

Due to the fact Jumbo-Visma is coming off the most successful season by any team in modern cycling, has a collection of the sport’s best riders in Wout van Aert, Jonas Vingegaard, and Primož Roglič (plus recent Vuelta winner Sepp Kuss), and the Belgian Soudal-QuickStep team has the young superstar Remco Evenepoel, and has been a rival of the Dutch Jumbo-Visma teams throughout the years, this was extremely shocking news, and is shaping up one of the biggest bombshells in a long while.

• Adding more layers to the chaos, rumors emerge and later shot down, that Amazon has signed on to sponsor the newly combined Jumbo-Visma/Soudal-QuickStep for the 2024 season (newer reporting suggests Amazon will simply be paying Jumbo €15 million for exclusive footage to air on their Prime Video service).
The barrage of news has been confusing and disorienting for even the most plugged-in viewers, so let’s take a step back to review how and why this rumored merger would happen and where it could leave some of the sport’s biggest stars.

Why Would This Happen?

Jumbo-Visma’s potential reasons for merging

• It may be jarring to see Jumbo-Visma, the sport’s most successful team (potentially in the history of the sport), coming off an absurdly strong season where they swept every grand tour with different riders and put three riders on the Vuelta podium, merging with Soudal-QuickStep, a clunky program in transition that houses one of Jumbo’s biggest rivals in Remco Evenepoel.
    • But, if we look past the sporting success, Jumbo-Visma’s foundations aren’t as solid as expected. Jumbo, the team’s title sponsor (and founding member), is stepping back from the title sponsorship role at the end of 2023, likely due to multiple issues at the company, and it isn’t clear if Visma, their secondary sponsor, will continue after this season.
      • While reports have suggested Jumbo will continue to be involved with the team in some capacity going forward, it appears to be in a reduced financial role, with Dutch cycling insider Raymond Kerckhoffs speculating that they will spread their remaining commitment over the next three years (working out to roughly €8.3 million per year).
        • In short, Jumbo-Visma needs cash and needs it fast.
Soudal-QuickStep’s potential reasons for merging

• Meanwhile, Soudal-QuickStep, which has title sponsor Soudal locked down until 2027, has a superstar young rider, Remco Evenepoel, but a fast-aging and declining core of riders, and a 68-year-old general manager in Patrick Lefevere, who, for years, has held the program together with sheer force of will and personal relationship with sponsors, but will soon be looking to take a step back from the day-to-day operations.
    • This leaves team majority owner Zdeněk Bakala facing the prospect of being forced to either take on the role of finding sponsors after Lefevere steps away, fund the team himself, or shut the program down to avoid consistently personally spending $30-$40 million per year servicing Evenepoel’s grand tour ambitions.
  • In short, the easiest path forward for Soudal-QuickStep is to find a strong program to merge with that has a grand tour infrastructure in place and a younger manager willing to take on the responsibility of running the team day-to-day at a world-class level.
    • The fact that they could get all of this, plus the sport’s top grand tour talent in Jonas Vingegaard and a Belgian superstar in Wout van Aert, must make the prospect of a merger incredibly appealing.
For example, with Primož Roglič already looking to leave the team after the Vuelta a España to assume a leadership role for next year’s Tour de France on a new team, he will have certainly bolted for the door upon hearing the news that he could be teammates with Remco Evenepoel in 2024.
  • With Movistar, Ineos, Lidl-Trek, and Israel-Premier Tech all currently vying for Roglič’s services for next year, Jumbo is asking for, and will likely get, the total amount of the two years remaining on his contract (which, at a conservative estimate would be €2.5 million per year), as compensation for him leaving.
    • Considering Ineos currently only has, by my count, 16 riders under contract for 2024, is in dire need of a legitimate Tour de France contender, has plenty of room to bring on a contender plus any preferred domestiques, and has by far the biggest budget in the sport, it is reasonable to assume Roglič (or Evenepoel) will land there.

The whole story is here, a decent read for anyone interested in grand tour cycling events.

PEZ Cycling; Deep Dive On Jumbo-Visma and Soudal Quickstep merger

Roglic looking to sign with Bora-Hansgrohe

Roglic appears all but set to be with Bora for next year, which I think is a good thing. Good for him, probably good for cycling.

Also appears now that the mega-merger between Jumbo-Visma and Soudal is NOT going to happen. Interesting. Probably also a good thing for cycling.

The grand tours will be pretty entertaining next year, especially the Tour de France. Can't wait to watch all of them

Top Bottom