Votes: 42 37.8%
  • David Cobb

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • Damien Wilson

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Other

Votes: 9 8.1%

• Total voters
So many seniors played a major role this year. I hope I am not looking back on this season nostalgically like the 1999 or 2003 season from a talent perspective.
I gotta go with Damien Wilson. To me he was the best linebacker in the B1G and led this defense all season. I can't imagine this year's team being nearly as good defensively without him. He managed to get quicker by losing weight without losing the ability to lay a heavy hit.

This is a good question. I voted Maxx simply because his level of talent is elite. That said, while our pass production from the TE spot may decline next year, our overall pass production will improve.

I'm most concerned about our depth on DL.

This is a good question. I voted Maxx simply because his level of talent is elite. That said, while our pass production from the TE spot may decline next year, our overall pass production will improve.

I'm most concerned about our depth on DL.

Agree, we won't replace Maxx with a te, but his production will be replaced and hopefully improved by other positions and better depth.

I would say Thompson. Lose 3 safeties in Levine, wells and ct. Lots of good depth gone. Have 2 good players back in at and Travis, a juco, and duke, but will be much thinner there and need young guys to step up.

Dline will be fine, Ekpe replaces botti, and we played a ton of young guys. Ends should be great next year.

Wilson. He was a tackling machine, and we often gave up big plays (like the long run to Mizzou) when he was out.

Wilson. He was a tackling machine, and we often gave up big plays (like the long run to Mizzou) when he was out.

True, but we also gave up some big plays when he was in too. Most notably the 86 yard Barrett TD where he was too slow the diagnose the play, too slow to get to him or both. Spying him was his only responsibility and he dropped the ball. Not that he isn't a fantastic player, just playing devils advocate.

True, but we also gave up some big plays when he was in too. Most notably the 86 yard Barrett TD where he was too slow the diagnose the play, too slow to get to him or both. Spying him was his only responsibility and he dropped the ball. Not that he isn't a fantastic player, just playing devils advocate.

Over the course of a season, everyone on defense occasionally contributes with giving up a big play... Wilson had 111 tackles, 10.5 TFL, and 4 sacks. That will be hard to replace.

Over the course of a season, everyone on defense occasionally contributes with giving up a big play... Wilson had 111 tackles, 10.5 TFL, and 4 sacks. That will be hard to replace.

I agree, just trying to make a point.

And he actually had 119 tackles. :D

Agree, we won't replace Maxx with a te, but his production will be replaced and hopefully improved by other positions and better depth.

I would say Thompson. Lose 3 safeties in Levine, wells and ct. Lots of good depth gone. Have 2 good players back in at and Travis, a juco, and duke, but will be much thinner there and need young guys to step up.

Dline will be fine, Ekpe replaces botti, and we played a ton of young guys. Ends should be great next year.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ch-big-ten-team-will-miss-most-in-2015/page/8

While I feel Cobb is the biggest loss, the biggest drop-off in talent will be TE.

Tommy Olson. Need the OL to take a step forward next year

Really? I like what Tommy did this year, but Christenson was starting at Center before he broke his leg.

I feel good about replacing Tommy and Zac. Christenson, Bjorklund, Bush, Bobek, Hayes, and Mayes: that's 6 guys that are upperclassmen (except Mayes) who have a chance to step up. I can't remember the last time we've had so many good options for replacing two good linemen. If Pirsig, Lauer, and Campion all continue to improve, the line should take another step forward.

Really? I like what Tommy did this year, but Christenson was starting at Center before he broke his leg.

I feel good about replacing Tommy and Zac. Christenson, Bjorklund, Bush, Bobek, Hayes, and Mayes: that's 6 guys that are upperclassmen (except Mayes) who have a chance to step up. I can't remember the last time we've had so many good options for replacing two good linemen. If Pirsig, Lauer, and Campion all continue to improve, the line should take another step forward.

Question on the O line, especially since it seems like it maybe would fit out play style, but do we have any guys that are O lineman that could fit the role of a jumbo TE (can run but would be stronger in run support than our TEs) similar to what Stanford does? I adamantly oppose the golden I and feel that running jumbo set would be a more apt power set to use, especially given the number of times we were down by the goal line and got stuffed on run after run up the middle. Anybody have any insight on this?

As far as replacing Cobb and Maxx, I would say the Gophers are in the exact same situation as Billy Beane was as GM of the Oakland A's in an early scene in the movie "Money Ball".

They lost their three best players (Giambi, Johnny Damon, and whoever else) and were trying to figure out how to replace THOSE GUYS. Instead, they focused on replacing the production of those guys. That's exactly where the Gophers are with the loss of Cobb and Maxx.

I think they will replace the production of those guys without THAT much difficulty, whether it's RB-by committee, the RS FR WR's that are coming up, Duke and Gibson, et al. I'm not that concerned. I'm much more concerned about Wilson. I thought he was just plain outstanding this year. They have plenty of candidates to fill that role, by committee or whatever, so we'll see what happens.

Cobb is my vote. Less because of talent, more because of GREAT ball security. It was very sad that he fumbled the last possesion of the ILL game but that is the only turnover I can think of when thinking of Cobb this season. We have talent to be fine at the RB position but I hope the ball security does not become an issue.

He lost 5 fumbles this year. A 500% increase over last year.

Wilson was a great middle linebacker but a big part of his game was anticipation and guessing. Next man up might have fewer tackles for loss but might also allow fewer big gains up the middle. It doesn't take very many 80 yard TD runs to pretty much negate the value of lots of good tackles.

He lost 5 fumbles this year. A 500% increase over last year.

His carries over two years are over 550. His fumbles over that same time span equal 6. That is good ball security though I will admit that it is not HOF worthy. To expect that level of ball security is upheld with a new set of young RBs is not reasonable in my opinon nor is it impossible. But we right now don't know if ball security will be an issue and I can bet my pile of moneybags under the sink that if our RBs lose more than 5 fumbles next year, this message board will be loaded with posts on how simple holding onto the ball is.

I agree, seems like there may be a lack of depth at DT

although I voted Cobb because of his huge heart and ability to take over games, Botticelli was a quite leader. IMHO he was the glue that held together the DL. Hopefully Ekpe can fully recover and continue to improve. We also need Richardson and others to continue to improve.

Cobb had arguably the best season by a RB in Gopher Football history. My vote is on him. Surprised more people don't think the same.

You are not old enough to make that statement. If old film is available, check out Darrell Thompson and get back to me.

You are not old enough to make that statement. If old film is available, check out Darrell Thompson and get back to me.

Maroney his sophomore year to me is the bar that every rb should be measured against. Thompson was great, Maroney to me was breathtaking.

You can make a great case for Thompson, Maroney, and Cobb. If they were all in their prime, I'd probably go with Maroney. I think the most underrated back in the last 30-years was Darkins. He played during some dark years and was somehow still spectacular. I sometimes wonder if he played behind one of Mason's good o-lines if he would be in the discussion of greatest RB ever.

although I voted Cobb because of his huge heart and ability to take over games, Botticelli was a quite leader. IMHO he was the glue that held together the DL. Hopefully Ekpe can fully recover and continue to improve. We also need Richardson and others to continue to improve.

In your post you quoted someone saying "we will lack depth next year for DL", or something along those lines. I am real confused by such a statement. We will be MUCH deeper next year on the DL line than we were this year, in my opinion that is. We have 2 true freshman who got a big chunk of playing time in 2014, that will have the offseason to get bigger ( they were true freshman, and basically were the linchpins on the DL, Richardson of course the main guy), as well as the transfer who came in and gave a lot of solid snaps. In addition we will be getting Ekpe back, and we still have a few other DL who didn't see much action but will be one year older. This scenario is much better than what we had going into this year.

On Botticelli yes he was the leader of the line, but I think his talent can be replaced, maybe not his consistent effort though and leadership, we shall see though. Either way we will have 2 solid DT next year among a few more who can be counted on. After Epke was hurt this year we had only Botticelli and a bunch of no names and even more so TRUE freshman being expected to man the trenches. This year the new comers and the DL performance far surpassed my expectations, next year I don't see why these guys wont continue to progress.

Wilson was a great middle linebacker but a big part of his game was anticipation and guessing. Next man up might have fewer tackles for loss but might also allow fewer big gains up the middle. It doesn't take very many 80 yard TD runs to pretty much negate the value of lots of good tackles.

So you believe that Wilson was the culprit of the big Missouri runs in the Bowl game? I was wondering who was the man reason for that, thought the scheme of our DEf could explain a lot, but what you say could be true. Yeah having a 4 or 5 year gopher to play the middle will be a sight to see. One with talent and who knows the schemes like the back of his hand.

Pretty sure Wilson was out for the long Mizzou TD run

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have the games DVR'd so I can't site specific plays but on more than one occasion on big runs I saw DW5 jump the wrong hole early on replay. Hard to say what the exact scheme and responsibilities were on any individual plays but when your giving up big running gains up the middle it seems likely there is at least some fault at MLB. Opposing coaches may have been game planning specifically to entice an aggressive LB core to commit early in combination with formations that pulled the safeties out of position to help as well.

Top Bottom