Top MN high school RB Emmett Johnson Interview

Can’t hurt to recruit the top RB statewide. Look at this year - see the need of Coach Mason’s par and a spare.

I watched him play against So St Paul. He is quick with the capacity to shift and squeeze through holes. He often turned what looked like a no yardage play into a 10 yard gain. However, SSPs Dodd was faster from point to point. Johnson is a very impressive running back.

I can remember a running back named Marion Barber III that ran a lot like Emmit Johnson in high school. Quicker than fast, could break tackles, squeeze through creases and make people miss. He wasn't highly recruited, even was going to be a safety. Coach Mason and staff offered him late. This Emmitt Johbson reminds me a lot of the guy we call MBIII. Some guys are just Hunch guys. Wish coach Burns would watch him live, he would see what I mean here.

I can remember a running back named Marion Barber III that ran a lot like Emmit Johnson in high school. Quicker than fast, could break tackles, squeeze through creases and make people miss. He wasn't highly recruited, even was going to be a safety. Coach Mason and staff offered him late. This Emmitt Johbson reminds me a lot of the guy we call MBIII. Some guys are just Hunch guys. Wish coach Burns would watch him live, he would see what I mean here.
I agree. Emmit Johnson may come back to haunt the Gophers if he ends up with a Big Ten West rival.

Looks like his best offer so far is Central Michigan.

Yeah he looks impressive, not sure there is room for another rb though. But then again if Potts can’t return and with Williamson retiring, adding more than one might be a good idea. Too me his high school tape looks just as good as Evan Hull’s from Maple Grove who is having a nice career already at NW and is the starter. Hull didn’t have many offers either yet has put up pretty gaudy yards per carry so far.

With the transfer rules I would think that he could start with the Gophers as a walk on. If he is good as advertised, then he'll get a scholarship. If he finds that the Gophers is not where he belongs, then he could transfer out.

So now we have a guy who has one offer, Central Michigan. If the Gophers don't offer him and he does well, will he trash the Gopher program and not other programs for not offering him? Kind of reminds me of the Nebraska guy. It gets to be a crap shoot with some of these guys.

Haven't heard much about him. Wondering if he will get offered.

Gophers need to offer this kid! At least a PWO....

He has the right attitude and would be a great addition to the team.

He’s a super senior-in high school. He was a senior last year too. It’s like Bucko playing back in HS

He’s a super senior-in high school. He was a senior last year too. It’s like Bucko playing back in HS
He wasn't a SR last year. He was an All State junior (you can find the articles from last football season referring to him as a JR). He was a FR at Holy Angels in the 2018-2019 basketball season. You can find old highlights of him playing basketball and appropriately date stamped (titled FR highlights in May of 2019).

If he repeated an earlier grade, it would seem to fall into the same category as Craig McDonald who was ineligible to play his SR season in MN. I'm not entirely sure how those rules work. But he was not a SR last year.

With the transfer rules I would think that he could start with the Gophers as a walk on. If he is good as advertised, then he'll get a scholarship. If he finds that the Gophers is not where he belongs, then he could transfer out.

So now we have a guy who has one offer, Central Michigan. If the Gophers don't offer him and he does well, will he trash the Gopher program and not other programs for not offering him? Kind of reminds me of the Nebraska guy. It gets to be a crap shoot with some of these guys.
I thought Johnson had about 8 offers.
Northern Iowa, South Dakota, South Dakota State, Western Kentucky, etc...

I would think a Gopher offer is imminent.

I don't think he would rip the Gophers, doesn't seem like that type of kid. I just think he is a typical Minnesota guy. Good athlete but all get a late start on developing at football here, partially because of the weather. Not saying he is as good as MBIII but his style reminds me of him at Wayzata.

He wasn't a SR last year. He was an All State junior (you can find the articles from last football season referring to him as a JR). He was a FR at Holy Angels in the 2018-2019 basketball season. You can find old highlights of him playing basketball and appropriately date stamped (titled FR highlights in May of 2019).

If he repeated an earlier grade, it would seem to fall into the same category as Craig McDonald who was ineligible to play his SR season in MN. I'm not entirely sure how those rules work. But he was not a SR last year.
Yeah, a person can check the Holy Angels roster on Max Preps as far back as 2018 and see that he was added to the roster that year as a freshman.

I don't think he would rip the Gophers, doesn't seem like that type of kid. I just think he is a typical Minnesota guy. Good athlete but all get a late start on developing at football here, partially because of the weather. Not saying he is as good as MBIII but his style reminds me of him at Wayzata.
Honestly, I think it's more strange when the guys who got an offer (Benhart) have a chip on their shoulder than the ones who didn't. The ones who didn't are essentially saying that they were interested in playing for their home team and they have a chip because that opportunity was never offered. I get why that kid would have a chip.

Top Bottom