Top incoming freshman

Weisbrod

Banned
Reaction score
Here is a list of the top-rated seniors who signed with Big 10 schools. Rankings are based on the Scout.com Top 100:

No. 32 Royce White, MINNESOTA
No. 34 Rodney Williams, MINNESOTA
No. 41 Maurice Creek, INDIANA
No. 42 DJ Richardson, ILLINOIS
No. 47 Christian Watford, INDIANA
No. 50 Jordan Hulls, INDIANA
No. 57 Brandon Paul, ILLINOIS
No. 73 Derrick Nix, MICHIGAN STATE
No. 77 Derek Elston, INDIANA
No. 96 Matt Vogrich, MICHIGAN

Purdue, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Northwestern and Iowa did not sign a player in the Top 100.

Objectively, which class would you rather have, Minnesota's or Indiana's?

If we're judging it only on the top 100 players, I would probably take the IU class. I love Royce White, but after seeing Rodney play 2-3 times this year, I think he is over-rated at no. 34. I tend to think his ranking is more realistic on rivals.com (no. 100).

You have to evaluate the two classes somewhat differently. Indiana is in full rebuilding mode under a new coach while trying to recover from an ugly scandal. They have also lost a pair of players after a rough first year in Malik Story and Nick Williams, so that's another thing Crean has to overcome. Therefore, Indiana is selling itself based on it's established tradition and history, the personal energy and excitement of their coach and fans and the opportunity for immediate playing time at the Big Ten level.

The Gophers on the other hand recruited this class fully knowing that virtually all the key players from the year before would return. Therefore, Tubby's adding more quality depth and the opportunity to possibly play right away without it being a sure thing because of the returning guys. Therefore, for me, the issue is one of playing right away versus tweaking the overall look of the roster.

And for somebody that is tweaking their roster a bit heading into next year, I really like what Tubby has done. Adding White and Williams as in-staters is huge while getting Mbakwe was a real coup imo. Cobbs meanwhile won't be counted on from the outset the way some of Indiana's freshmen will be.

Indiana's guys will be thrown into the fire from the start and will be counted on as the team's top contributors. That makes their transition likely to be tougher, but it can also be enticing for top recruits to go to a program that allows them to play a lot right away. It's a matter of what perspective you come at it from. And taking this into account, I'd much rather be where we are than where Indiana is right now.

I don't think there is any question that top to bottom the IU class is better...but would they be better for us????? I don't think so. Now time will tell over the next two years...but if Trevor can be the load inside for us that we need NOW and the returning 8 can be improved from last year...I think we have a real shot and being better next year and alot better in two years.

If Trevor doesn't play as advertised (see last years jucos) then IU's class would be much better for 3-4 years from now.

Uh, I'm not sure I can answer that question objectively - as I have no idea how big my font has to be in order to do that.

Top Bottom