Top Gun: Maverick

Thinking of taking the kids. Do you need to have seen the original to see the new one?
Not at all, IMO. There won't be an emotional reaction to Iceman/Kilmer returning, but that's about it.

I suggest seeing it on the biggest screen you can find in your area.

Not at all, IMO. There won't be an emotional reaction to Iceman/Kilmer returning, but that's about it.

I suggest seeing it on the biggest screen you can find in your area.
Agreed. It's helpful but not necessary, except for Ice Man.

Saw the movie. It lived up to the hype.

It's marvelous. It's a movie you could watch over and over.

I’d watch the fight scenes again - saw it on IMAX - first time with that type of venue - cost me $25.50

Agreed. It's helpful but not necessary, except for Ice Man.
Not seeing the original Top Gun, in some ways it could enhance the enjoyment of Maverick, as it essentially follows the same plot outline as the first one.

The only detractor for complete newbies is not having the nostalgia aspect. A kid wouldn't have any of that anyway.

Last edited:

Something I found interesting was that there were 2 actors who portrayed the same real life aviator John Glenn in other films.

Ed Harris in The Right Stuff.
Glen Powell in Hidden Figures. He played Hangman.

So, essentially this movie is to reawaken oldsters feeling of yesteryear like Forrest Gump. I’ll say it, the original top gun is formulaic and has ham handed acting. Enjoy the trip of nostalgia but remember nostalgia is the habit of the lonely. So long, oldster loners.

So, essentially this movie is to reawaken oldsters feeling of yesteryear like Forrest Gump. I’ll say it, the original top gun is formulaic and has ham handed acting. Enjoy the trip of nostalgia but remember nostalgia is the habit of the lonely. So long, oldster loners.
No, it's really not a nostalgia trip like a lot of other movies. It stands on its own.

And listening/commenting on KFAN makes you what? ________
Please be specific

This one has Hamm acting. Former star of Mad Men.

While there is a nostalgia element, it doesn't beat the audience over the head with it. If it was purely nostalgia, it wouldn't be getting 4star reviews and 98% approval on Rotten Tomatoes. It's not a film stuck in the 80s.

I was just as skeptical as anyone, but was convinced otherwise and thought it was pretty good.

Breakfast Club part 2. Goonies part 2. I’ll be honest I might go see the goonies part 2.

Saw Maverick over the weekend. Watched Top Gun for the first time in decades the night before to reacquaint myself with the story. Would agree with those who feel familiarity with the original would enhance the Maverick experience, but it's certainly not required. The original is available right now with either a Paramount+ or Amazon Prime subscription for anyone interested in seeing it first.

Maverick is a fun summer movie. Yes, I could guess 85-90% of the story before walking into the theater, but the plot moved along and the flight scenes are well done. My favorite aspect of the movie was that they elected to make it look and feel like the original even though technology has advanced so much over the last 35 years. Lots of familiar details, right down to the yellow glow of the exterior shots as if the sun is always setting in San Diego.

Thinking of taking the kids. Do you need to have seen the original to see the new one?

I think it would help but not required.

Fun movie like the first.

When do we get dazed and confused 2?
It sort of already happened. Director Richard Linklater called "Everybody Wants Some!!" the spiritual sequel to "Dazed and Confused", it was even tagged in the trailer. I thought it was pretty good, and fans of his work should like it.

For Top Gun Maverick fans, the actor Glen Powell who played Hangman, is in the movie as one of the upperclassmen on the baseball team (Finn).

It sort of already happened. Director Richard Linklater called "Everybody Wants Some!!" the spiritual sequel to "Dazed and Confused", it was even tagged in the trailer. I thought it was pretty good, and fans of his work should like it.

For Top Gun Maverick fans, the actor Glen Powell who played Hangman, is in the movie as one of the upperclassmen on the baseball team (Finn).

Never heard of it, I'll have to check that out.

Late to the party but finally saw Maverick last night. Enjoyed it a lot. Very predictable but still very well done. It’s one of those movies it will be hard to turn off when it randomly shows up on TV.

Sort of thumbs down on this movie -- guess I know too much about the military to buy into the plot line. With a fixed target we wouldn't take it out using jets - drones would be much better. Even if we used fighter jets, with tight maneuvering and high climb rate, we'd use the F22 vs the F18, or at least the F35. They should have picked a plot line where the target req'd a pilot...

Don't care for Cruise. (Can't act and he's a nut.) Shoot 'em up war movies bore me. Special effects bore me. Big summer blockbuster movies generally aren't my thing.

Had not been in a theatre since the start of the pandemic.

I saw it in June and loved every second of it. Every damn second. I'd see it again without hesitation.

Great movie.

Sort of thumbs down on this movie -- guess I know too much about the military to buy into the plot line. With a fixed target we wouldn't take it out using jets - drones would be much better. Even if we used fighter jets, with tight maneuvering and high climb rate, we'd use the F22 vs the F18, or at least the F35. They should have picked a plot line where the target req'd a pilot...
Not claiming to know much about any of this but wasn't the target protected by defense missiles that would have easily taken out anything from the air?

Not claiming to know much about any of this but wasn't the target protected by defense missiles that would have easily taken out anything from the air?
A drone is far more agile than a fighter. The whole deal of flying in low under the sensor field makes little sense, but if it did, a drone could do it faster and with more precision. But hey, the movie really wasn't meant to be an accurate rep of the Navy, just meant to be a fun adventure.

A drone is far more agile than a fighter. The whole deal of flying in low under the sensor field makes little sense, but if it did, a drone could do it faster and with more precision. But hey, the movie really wasn't meant to be an accurate rep of the Navy, just meant to be a fun adventure.
Ah yes, didn't think about the fact that a drone could potentially fly that same path. Good point.

Had avoided this thread for spoilers, but you all did a great job. Saw it tonight. $5 was the right price.

Thumbs up for how well the flight scenes were done, and to the actors for actually putting in the effort in the real jets.

Meh to the rest of it. The cheesy dialog and formulaic plot was just too much to take at times.

The new Top Gun was awesome. Better than the original. Tom Cruise is one of the last real movie stars. It was just a great movie. No little agendas to push on the audience. It’s a film that will hold it’s value for a long time

Top Bottom