Top Gun: Maverick

TruthSeeker

Reaction score
I haven't seen a movie in theaters since the pandemic began. That streak ends with this movie.

It looks phenomenal. The reviews are coming in with extremely high praise.

Who else is going?

I haven't seen a movie in theaters since the pandemic began. That streak ends with this movie.

It looks phenomenal. The reviews are coming in with extremely high praise.

Who else is going?
same for me, i'll take the plunge into the Danger Zone and pregame with the original.

What's the best scene from the first movie?

1. Bar scene where Maverick and Goose sing to Charlie
2. Opening 4 minutes with just the anthem, sights, and sounds of F-14s
3. Volleyball
4. Maverick and the Top Gun students in class when they meet their instructor
5. Deck of carrier after aerial combat
6. Maverick and Goose piano singalong with their babes

Ok... I just rewatched Top Gun for the first time since I saw it in the theater way back when.

Hot take: it is still one of my least favorite films of all time!

Ok... I just rewatched Top Gun for the first time since I saw it in the theater way back when.

Like it or not, Tom Cruise is the closest thing we have today to an "old-fashioned" movie star. He makes big-budget traditional movies, and he basically plays "Tom Cruise" in every movie. when he has tried to step outside of that formula ("Interview with the Vampire") it often doesn't work.

the original Top Gun is a little corny and cliched in spots, but it's entertaining. and that's all it's meant to be. so you enjoy it on that level, or not.

BTW - saw the first teaser for the next "Mission Impossible" movie. looks like another stunt fest. apparently Cruise actually jumped a motorcycle off a cliff and parachuted to the ground. the guy is in great shape for his age.

I have not seen it since going to it in the theater as well, my memory was being unimpressed. I was just in my teens at the time, but as best as I can recall "over the top cheesy" is what has stuck with me.

While maybe not on my least favorite films of all time list, looking at Cruise's IMDB page there were no fewer than 23 movies I liked better. Ranks just above Losin' It.

Like it or not, Tom Cruise is the closest thing we have today to an "old-fashioned" movie star. He makes big-budget traditional movies, and he basically plays "Tom Cruise" in every movie. when he has tried to step outside of that formula ("Interview with the Vampire") it often doesn't work.

the original Top Gun is a little corny and cliched in spots, but it's entertaining. and that's all it's meant to be. so you enjoy it on that level, or not.

BTW - saw the first teaser for the next "Mission Impossible" movie. looks like another stunt fest. apparently Cruise actually jumped a motorcycle off a cliff and parachuted to the ground. the guy is in great shape for his age.
I think Cruise is a sometimes great actor.

1986-1988 was a weird time for him (IMO). He made two movies I hated; Top Gun and Cocktail while starring in The Color of Money and Rain Man.

He then had a great run into the early 2000's.

He hasn't done much I've liked in a long time (Mission movies don't do much for me).

I think Cruise is a sometimes great actor.

1986-1988 was a weird time for him (IMO). He made two movies I hated; Top Gun and Cocktail while starring in The Color of Money and Rain Man.

He then had a great run into the early 2000's.

He hasn't done much I've liked in a long time (Mission movies don't do much for me).
If you have not already, I would highly suggest watching Edge of Tomorrow. Both Cruise and the movie itself are fantastic, IMO.

Once you see it .... you can't un-see it.

tom-cruise-front-teeth-alignment.jpg

I can't wait to miss this.
I actually am on the verge of walking this back.

- Ann Hornaday (Wash Post Critic) raved about it on the Tony Kornheiser podcast, and I generally respect her opinions and reviews. Going in, she sounded as skeptical as I was, but said it was really solid, not a campy cartoon like the original.

- Jennifer Connelly. Enough said.

I actually am on the verge of walking this back.

- Ann Hornaday (Wash Post Critic) raved about it on the Tony Kornheiser podcast, and I generally respect her opinions and reviews. Going in, she sounded as skeptical as I was, but said it was really solid, not a campy cartoon like the original.

- Jennifer Connelly. Enough said.
Tom might be a tad crazy, but he does nothing but make good movies these days. He puts in the work. Doesn't surprise me maverick is good

Tom might be a tad crazy, but he does nothing but make good movies these days. He puts in the work. Doesn't surprise me maverick is good
I agree on Cruise. Any reluctance I had previously with investing my time to this sequel, I attribute to Jerry Bruckheimer, not Tom.

Saw the movie. It lived up to the hype.

It's marvelous. It's a movie you could watch over and over.

We just came back from it. Really well done. Better than the original IMO.

I did wind up seeing it. Despite it being completely predictable, I liked it because it was so well crafted.

Thinking of taking the kids. Do you need to have seen the original to see the new one?

Top Bottom