Top 50 Men's College Head Basketball Coaches

Consensus is LaMont Paris should be on the list.
Mark Pope is way too high at #23
Fran at #37 arguably shouldn't be on the list.
Dana Altman at #43 way too far down the list
Richard Pitino some chatter to make the list resurrecting the 300 Net Lobos to the Mountain West Tournament Title and NCAA appearance in year 3
Danny Sprinkle should be on the list
John Calipari ridiculously low at #18
Two former Gopher coaching candidates at #15 and 16
Penny Hardaway, Niko Medved not on the list.

Last edited:

TJ Otzelberger is on the list. How does the AD miss a quality coach in adjoining state?

Yeah but this list is just taking into account winning and fielding successful teams. Smart people like me and Easy Pilgrim, know that has little, if any, bearing on how good a coach is.
So true, Kundla couldn't win at Minnesota and it surly had nothing to do with coaching.

Yeah but this list is just taking into account winning and fielding successful teams. Smart people like me and Easy Pilgrim, know that has little, if any, bearing on how good a coach is.
So true, Kundla couldn't win at Minnesota and it surly had nothing to do with coaching.
Yeah it's such bad luck that every FB coach we've hired in the last 60 years...and every BB coach in the last 40 years...just happened to be stupid.

GopherHole should be hired on as an advisory committee next time.

It is odd how embrace the suck is acceptable in some leadership roles.
The other side thinks we're odd for caring so much about if a college kid can put a ball through a hoop well or not.

Even I think it's odd to pay college kids $500K and have them transfer every year.

The other side thinks we're odd for caring so much about if a college kid can put a ball through a hoop well or not.

Even I think it's odd to pay college kids $500K and have them transfer every year.
What else am I supposed to do other than to overly invest in some 18-22 year old kids playing a sport who I don’t know and let it decide how happy my existence is?!

Yeah it's such bad luck that every FB coach we've hired in the last 60 years...and every BB coach in the last 40 years...just happened to be stupid.

GopherHole should be hired on as an advisory committee next time.
Well that’s not exactly true is it? Some in either sport have experienced success. Just because your guy hasn’t, shouldn’t cast a dispersion on the rest.

Well that’s not exactly true is it? Some in either sport have experienced success. Just because your guy hasn’t, shouldn’t cast a dispersion on the rest.
I like Fleck. He's doing the best he can under the circumstances...and he had 1 big year. But I'm certainly not expecting anything this year.

But other than that...who has experienced success? No one had a better season than Ben would have next year if we kept our team.

What else am I supposed to do other than to overly invest in some 18-22 year old kids playing a sport who I don’t know and let it decide how happy my existence is?!
Until loopholes are closed these guys are writing off the money.

I like Fleck. He's doing the best he can under the circumstances...and he had 1 big year. But I'm certainly not expecting anything this year.

But other than that...who has experienced success? No one had a better season than Ben would have next year if we kept our team.
Clem, Tubby, Glen Mason and Jerry Kill all had far more success and were far better coaches at the U than Ben Johnson. It's not close. Even Pitino and Monson weren't this inept.

Ben against Tim Brewster or Jim Wacker is a closer call.

Clem, Tubby, Glen Mason and Jerry Kill all had far more success and were far better coaches at the U than Ben Johnson. It's not close. Even Pitino and Monson weren't this inept.

Ben against Tim Brewster or Jim Wacker is a closer call.
I think Ben's team next year would have been better than anything since Clem. Who disagrees?

And don't just claim ignorance. Anyone who's honest and not delusional knows we would have been very good.

Yes, we became a farm-team and Christie went pro. But Ben gave it a good try.

And other than Fleck's 1 big year...I think Ben's team next year would have done better than any of our football teams since the 1960's. What team was better?? Name one.

I guess it all depends on “success”

If it’s trips to the postseason? It’s every coach in football and basketball who isn’t Johnson. And I know that you think it’s unfair but that is how so many people judge success. There is just such a small percentage of fans that judge success based on how much Easy Pilgrim likes a coach. I am not saying it’s fair but it seems like most people care about winning and losing.

I guess it all depends on “success”

If it’s trips to the postseason? It’s every coach in football and basketball who isn’t Johnson. And I know that you think it’s unfair but that is how so many people judge success. There is just such a small percentage of fans that judge success based on how much Easy Pilgrim likes a coach. I am not saying it’s fair but it seems like most people care about winning and losing.
I can never win an argument in here...that's for sure.

The media pumps out propaganda non-stop about how it's still all about coaching. I can't compete with that.

Like I said, I was looking forward to next year with our starting lineup all returning.

Christie getting drafted is bad luck...but replacing 1 guy might be possible.

Officially becoming a farm-team is upsetting to me. But okay, I'm about done soon...and I certainly won't be watching any games. Probably a blessing in disguise. You guys can fire the coach and see where that gets you.

Like I said, I was looking forward to next year with our starting lineup all returning.

Officially becoming a farm-team is upsetting to me. But okay, I'm about done soon...and I certainly won't be watching any games. Probably a blessing in disguise. You guys can fire the coach and see where that gets you.
Thank you for your permission

I think Ben's team next year would have been better than anything since Clem. Who disagrees?
I do. This team went 9-11 and finished 10th. They lost 5 of their last 6 regular season games. Stop pretending they were just overloaded with amazing talent.

If everyone returned they had a decent chance to be an NCAA team based on improvement from Christie/Payne. Best team since Clem? No. Tubby had multiple teams better. Pitino's 2016-17 team was better.

But the what-ifs are irrelevant. They haven't had zero transfers in many years. They were never going to bring everyone back in the era we are now in. No one does. The team we have is the one the coach assembled.

At one point I was too, but it’s not happening. It’s a new team you need to learn to let things go, dude.

I do. This team went 9-11 and finished 10th. They lost 5 of their last 6 regular season games. Stop pretending they were just overloaded with amazing talent.

If everyone returned they had a decent chance to be an NCAA team based on improvement from Christie/Payne. Best team since Clem? No. Tubby had multiple teams better. Pitino's 2016-17 team was better.

But the what-ifs are irrelevant. They haven't had zero transfers in many years. They were never going to bring everyone back in the era we are now in. No one does. The team we have is the one the coach assembled.
I think you underestimate. Garcia, Hawkins, & Mitchell could have improved too if we kept everyone together.

Tubby certainly never had a team as good. Pitino had 1 pretty good team...and one very good team that we derailed ourselves.

At one point I was too, but it’s not happening. It’s a new team you need to learn to let things go, dude.
Yeah I will soon. But after such a dramatic implosion...where we've officially become a farm-team...I don't feel like being happy with it just yet.

I think you underestimate. Garcia, Hawkins, & Mitchell could have improved too if we kept everyone together.

Tubby certainly never had a team as good. Pitino had 1 pretty good team...and one very good team that we derailed ourselves.
Until you have something new to talk about just stop posting. It’s the same complaint in multiple threads

Top Bottom