Top 5 most overrated albums

Nokomis

Nothing To Say
Reaction score
Ok, now let's do albums! What are your five most overrated albums?

1. Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart. I saw a review that said you need to listen to it six times before you "get it". F--k that. That's just your cognitive biases kicking in and your brain tricking you into liking it. I don't need to listen to Kind of Blue six times to know Miles Davis was a genius.
2. In the Aeroplane Over the Sea - Neutral Milk Hotel. Total s--t.
3. Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys. I don't get it. A handful of ok songs. Nice try, though, trying to out-Beatle The Beatles.
4. White Album - The Beatles. Some truly great songs, including person favorites. But so bloated. Trim the fat, The Beatles.
5. Led Zeppelin 1. I like LZ but don't like this album.

not sure if it fits the overrated label, but "Neon Bible" by Arcade Fire is up there on my list of albums I bought but didn't like.

I read a review in Rolling Stone raving about the album. The reviewer compared the song 'Keep the Car Running' to Springsteen. Bought the album based on the review - I think the reviewer must have been under the influence of some powerful chemicals.

in the end, it's all subjective. as my anecdote points out, just because a reviewer or rock critic raves about something, that doesn't mean that you're going to like it.

And here's a list of overrated albums from this century from 2000-2015

Who cares what Cleveland thinks? Whoever did this article used the argument that an album was overrated because it wasn't as good as the artists BEST album for a lot of those picks.

Also....the answer is every 'The Killers' album....anything that Drake has released....and whichever mumble-rap record people liked.

Who cares what Cleveland thinks? Whoever did this article used the argument that an album was overrated because it wasn't as good as the artists BEST album for a lot of those picks.

Also....the answer is every 'The Killers' album....anything that Drake has released....and whichever mumble-rap record people liked.

They probably feel the same way about you. :drink:

Here's another list:https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/the-20-most-overrated-artists-of-all-time/ss-AA19edvt#image=1

And another:

And 1 more:

I picked two albums from bands I love.

The Who - Tommy. Quadraphenia was superior in every way as a concept album.

Pink Floyd - The Wall. I found it one of my least favorite Floyd albums.

You just don’t have the right dealer.

Agree with you on Tommy. I think The Wall is an example of the sum greater than its parts.

Me neither, but doubt that most people would have heard of, let overrated " In the Aeroplane Over the Sea" by Neutral Milk Hotel.;)

Try this list. Not overrated, just bad:

General public, sure. But ask any bearded, flannel-wearing, hipster drinking a sour at a local craft brewery to name the best album ever, and I guarantee someone says NMH. I would then parlay the bet that they can't name the actual album.

Top Bottom