Top 25 Most Disappointing College Football Teams (#13. Minnesota)

I admit, the losses to Purdue and Illinois were disappointing and being blown out by PSU wasn't too fun but the Gophers can still redeem the season with a strong finish down the stretch, especially if they can take out Iowa and Wisconsin. If they can do that it would knock them off the list for me.

I would put Iowa ahead of the Gophers on this list as their offense has been historically bad - there is no way they can be happy with their season. The biggest surprise for me on this list was Purdue - I think they have done a little better than expected and would not put them on this list at all.

I admit, the losses to Purdue and Illinois were disappointing and being blown out by PSU wasn't too fun but the Gophers can still redeem the season with a strong finish down the stretch, especially if they can take out Iowa and Wisconsin. If they can do that it would knock them off the list for me.

I would put Iowa ahead of the Gophers on this list as their offense has been historically bad - there is no way they can be happy with their season. The biggest surprise for me on this list was Purdue - I think they have done a little better than expected and would not put them on this list at all.

When it comes to the Gophers on this list, it depends upon whose expectations are being used. For the strong Gopher fans (like the ones who post here), the team probably deserves to be somewhere on this list. My guess is that the majority here hoped for a win total in the range of 9 or 10 regular season wins (while 9 is still possible, it's tough to win 5 straight games if you're not a really good team). As I recall, consensus preseason media expectations for the Gophers were about 7.5 (7 or 8 wins). The team definitely is on pace for that. They have strong chance at 7 and a pretty decent chance for 8.

I agree that Iowa clearly should be ranked ahead of us on this list. They had 10 wins last season and now they have to get an even split in their last four games simply to be bowl eligible.

When it comes to the Gophers on this list, it depends upon whose expectations are being used. For the strong Gopher fans (like the ones who post here), the team probably deserves to be somewhere on this list. My guess is that the majority here hoped for a win total in the range of 9 or 10 regular season wins (while 9 is still possible, it's tough to win 5 straight games if you're not a really good team).
PJ would definitely put us on this list.

He was very clear he was disappointed and at fault for going 8-4 last year.

He was also very clear that he thought this team was going to be better. And the schedule was more favorable.

PJ would definitely put us on this list.

He was very clear he was disappointed and at fault for going 8-4 last year.

He was also very clear that he thought this team was going to be better. And the schedule was more favorable.

But, if you're creating a national list, I don't think you have the ability to create that list with the expectations of each team's coaches and fans. Those statements you cite are encouraging public statements. We don't know what he and the coaches may have thought privately.

But, if you're creating a national list, I don't think you have the ability to create that list with the expectations of each team's coaches and fans. Those statements you cite are encouraging public statements. We don't know what he and the coaches may have thought privately.
Also depends on what the baseline is. After the MSU game, there was a lot of chatter that it was our division to lose (not just Gopher fans saying this), to have have seen that hope largely evaporate jn a matter of weeks was pretty disappointing.

That wasn't swingman's point.

Also depends on what the baseline is. After the MSU game, there was a lot of chatter that it was our division to lose (not just Gopher fans saying this), to have have seen that hope largely evaporate jn a matter of weeks was pretty disappointing.
Very true.

That wasn't swingman's point.

Well, if his point wasn't about this list, then his point was kind of irrelevant. We already know what people think on this board so why beat a dead horse?

Well, it's never a good idea to form season expectations after your best game or your worst game.

Well, if his point wasn't about this list, then his point was kind of irrelevant. We already know what people think on this board so why beat a dead horse?
He posted if Fleck was making the list, he would put himself on it. Pretty clear to me.

Bleed—please stop posting garbage from big game boomer. It’s nonsense.
While I agree and don't like seeing it, Bleed is obligated to do this. Nadine has arrangements with other media and so Bleed is supposed to keep posting any relevant content that can be found. It also keeps up traffic on this board, as every time there is a BFB post, people reply to it.

While I agree and don't like seeing it, Bleed is obligated to do this. Nadine has arrangements with other media and so Bleed is supposed to keep posting any relevant content that can be found. It also keeps up traffic on this board, as every time there is a BFB post, people reply to it.
I hope GH is getting paid for those clicks.

We weren’t even ranked pre-season and still have a chance for a 9-3, 6-3 season before the bowl game and maybe 10 wins. Not to mention wins over our two biggest rivals. This scenario would be a highly successful season.

We need to wait and see.

He posted if Fleck was making the list, he would put himself on it. Pretty clear to me.

But this post isn't about Fleck's list or the list of anyone who posts here.

Texas A&M would be number one on the list for me.

The Gophers seem in about the right spot to me...they definitely should be on the list. The coach of the team had higher expectations...how could not achieving them be anything but disappointing? You can argue degrees of disappointment or where on the list but not if we belong on the list.

Iowa should definitely be below us....nobody thought this would be one of their better teams.
Nobody also thought their offense would be that bad!

The idea something shouldn't be posted on a message board that has 25 entries by supper time on day one is pretty self absorbed.

I would argue that if we win out finishing 10-3 with wins over both Iowa and Wisconsin it would be Fleck’s best season here just ahead of 2019 winning 11 but losing to both rivals.

Honestly, Miami is what I expected! One super booster and a superstar coaching hire can't make up for the fact that 99% of South Florida couldn't care less about the program!

On the bright side.....the fact that we're 5-3 right now.....and are considered a disappointment goes to show how much the bar has moved over the past decade.
We're 2-3 rn, IMO. With a home loss and blowout loss.

I'm disappointed.

Isn’t this list based on how things stand right now? Right now. Disappointing. Win the West…

Top Bottom