Top 100 NIL Deals

I believe this what on3 thinks they’d be worth. None of it is rooted in fact. It’s just an algorithm they made up and seem to be the first to do so.

From the website:
While the algorithm includes deal data, it does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals athletes have completed to date, nor does it set an athlete’s NIL valuation for their entire career. The On3 NIL Valuation calculates the optimized NIL opportunity for athletes relative to the overall NIL market and projects out to as long as 12 months into the future.

Not sure how accurate this is but here is a link for the top 100 in NIL deals: Look who is at #59 https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/college/football/ Might be a reason a lot of these guys stay in school. A bunch of them may make more money in college than they will afterwards ????
Given the importance of offensive linemen and OT's in particular, it's interesting that an offensive lineman doesn't show up on that list until #38. That seems like a market inefficiency which someone out there might want to exploit.

There’s no way a lot of these guys are getting the expected value listed. I’ve been involved in NIL deals in my role at my company and outside of a few true outliers, most of these guys are earning a fraction of this.

Mo’s Gushers deal is likely more beneficial to him to have a General Mills brand associated to him than the actual deal itself. It lends credibility that other brands may want the halo effect of.

Go Gophers!!

There’s no way a lot of these guys are getting the expected value listed. I’ve been involved in NIL deals in my role at my company and outside of a few true outliers, most of these guys are earning a fraction of this.

Mo’s Gushers deal is likely more beneficial to him to have a General Mills brand associated to him than the actual deal itself. It lends credibility that other brands may want the halo effect of.

Go Gophers!!
Very interesting. It's good to hear from someone in the actual know!

I believe most of the dollar amounts thrown around are total garbage. Would love to see actual contracts in public record but won’t hold my breath.

Maybe I’m wrong.

Go Gophers!!
Can you explain why these estimates are off then? I'm not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious how all this works and how these estimates are made.

Can you explain why these estimates are off then? I'm not saying you're wrong, just genuinely curious how all this works and how these estimates are made.

The estimates are based on the perceived value of an athletes combined social following, the engagement they get from the followings, but most of the deals these guys are getting are much lower than the “potential value” listed. Of course there are some college athletes like Suni Lee, Paige, Caleb Williams, etc who are earning an incredible amount, but Fan HQ isn’t paying Tanner Morgan and Mo Ibrahim more than a few thousand dollars for an autograph signing, General Mills is likely paying Mo in the low 5 figures for the Gushers deal, which is likely not a national distribution deal.

Go Gophers!!

The estimates are based on the perceived value of an athletes combined social following, the engagement they get from the followings, but most of the deals these guys are getting are much lower than the “potential value” listed. Of course there are some college athletes like Suni Lee, Paige, Caleb Williams, etc who are earning an incredible amount, but Fan HQ isn’t paying Tanner Morgan and Mo Ibrahim more than a few thousand dollars for an autograph signing, General Mills is likely paying Mo in the low 5 figures for the Gushers deal, which is likely not a national distribution deal.

Go Gophers!!
Suni is leaving college of course but what kind of money was she getting?

And #51 is not getting $517k from Fairmont State. It's just a valuation.

I believe most of the dollar amounts thrown around are total garbage. Would love to see actual contracts in public record but won’t hold my breath.

Maybe I’m wrong.
Why do they need to be on public record? I am fine with college kids' financials being private

This report should convince individuals that college sports is a business for both the institution and for the athlete as well. Colleges are willing to promote NIL to attract players who will bring prestige, by winning, while the athlete keeps their options open by looking for their best potential NIL $ yearly.

Didn’t see the list. Does it show that the tackle from southeast Polk (in Iowa) turned down $1 million (according to Des Moines Register)?

Shows how far behind we are with only Mo on the list. We need to work on matching tOSU.

Why do they need to be on public record? I am fine with college kids' financials being private

I didn’t say they need to be public record, I said I’d love to have access to them. Just saying the opaque market leads to a lot of rumor and innuendo that could sway players and fan perceptions and decisions on visits and attention given to certain schools. This article in the OP to me seems misleading, for example, but I suppose that’s arguable. Some sponsors want to publicize their deals as part of their marketing efforts and halo effect, others don’t as they probably aren’t legit to begin with (but the NCAA isn’t enforcing anything so…)

Shows how far behind we are with only Mo on the list. We need to work on matching tOSU.
Do you think #1 we will match OSU? #2 if we do match OSU will we be able to attract the athletes from the pool now attracted by OSU, Michigan, Georgia, Penn State?

Smells like BS. On3 was founded in 2021 by a former Rivals and 247 honcho. Dismissing their murky NIL valuation smoke and mirrors what is their angle - memberships for fans and players?

How Accurate is On3’s NIL Valuation Algorithm?

The algorithm-driven On3 NIL Valuation comes from 27 years of data and science innovation in college sports publishing. From the architects of the three major high school and college databases, the valuation was developed with the assistance of multiple machine learning engineers. From the creators of a science-backed rating system of high school athletes, the evaluation also was born following the creation of On3’s Recruiting Prediction Machine, which is an algorithm and machine learning-based product to predict where athletes will attend college. Since the RPM was released in December 2021, it has a greater than 86% success rate.

On top of the experienced staff who created the On3 NIL Valuation, On3 has over 250 reporters and 30 years of connections with coaches, agents, media brands and administrators to get an unprecedented look behind the curtain of the current environment of college sports. Combined with a team of data scientists, engineers and developers who are experienced professionals in the space.

And with a dedicated NIL staff, which is the largest in the nation, which keeps tabs on the pulse of NIL in college athletes. The On3 NIL Deal Tracker has already tracked nearly 4,000 individual brand deals to date.

How are Collectives Factored into the On3 NIL Valuation?

On3 has created a roster management algorithm, which takes data from collectives, tiers the athletes based on their performance and calculates their respective roster value at the school they are currently attending. A college sports media company with more than 250 reporters, including a dedicated national team following all things NIL, On3 has spent considerable time accumulating collectives’ data and monitoring trends in the space to create an understanding of the current state of a collective.

Can I Report the Total Value of my NIL Deals?

Yes.

Should I use the On3 NIL Valuation to Inform my Decision About Picking a School or Entering the Transfer Portal?

On3 aims to empower the athlete to make the best NIL decision for their future. One of the most controversial and misunderstood concepts in the NIL Era is an athlete’s value. The On3 NIL Valuation fills that need. With the On3 Athlete Network, student-athletes will be able to see their roster and brand value. That information will be used as athletes and network talk to coaches and collectives about recruiting and the Transfer Portal.

Through the comparative tool in the On3 Athlete Network software, athletes can see the change in their evaluation and roster value based off of the school they attend.

Do Fans See my Roster Value and Brand Value?

No, fans do not have access to private On3 Athlete Network data.

well, however much value you place on the list:

Here are the B1G schools mentioned with # of players on the list:

OSU - 9
Mich - 4
Ill - 3
PSU - 2
and 1 each for MN, MSU, Mary, Neb, Purd, and NW.

schools not on the list: WI, IA, Ind & Rutg.

Given the importance of offensive linemen and OT's in particular, it's interesting that an offensive lineman doesn't show up on that list until #38. That seems like a market inefficiency which someone out there might want to exploit.
College football Moneyball.

Top Bottom