Too toxic & immature

Rick Mons

The former MN Snowman
Reaction score
too many immature posts and too toxic an atmosphere to warrant more than tomorrow's PPD. I'll do the "Predict the Score" results etc tomorrow.

Just an idea, but some boards make posters wait until they achieve a certain post count before they can start new threads. I have always thought that was a bad idea, but am beginning to reconsider my opinion on the top after seeing what is happening on both boards here. I have no problem with a negative opinion on the state of Gopher Basketball (or Football), but I'd like to know the person starting the top actually is a Gopher fan.

The loss today sucked, but it exemplified why you can't lose a game like Michigan State at home. Even really good teams some times get blown out on the road, it's now happened to the Gophers twice. If the Gophers simply would have beat Indiana and Michigan State, we'd still be having a disappointing season, but we probably would be on the good side of the bubble.

Just an idea, but some boards make posters wait until they achieve a certain post count before they can start new threads. I have always thought that was a bad idea, but am beginning to reconsider my opinion on the top after seeing what is happening on both boards here.

I agree with your idea... but it makes new posters like me seem irrelevant... I don't like starting rumors (unlike some newbies on GH), but I guess there's no way to pick out who's like that without implementing some rule like that.

Unfortunately you just have to wait a couple days to visit. This board is dead after a nice win but the crazies come out in the masses after any type of loss.

Quarantine the toxic GHers

I agree that there are too many toxic threads from non-Gopher fans. Time to just put the board in quarantine until they go away. Most of us do have other lives.

too many immature posts and too toxic an atmosphere to warrant more than tomorrow's PPD. I'll do the "Predict the Score" results etc tomorrow.

I don't blame you, rick. Yesterday's threads were absolutely the worst that I have ever seen here. Bitch and moan and pi$$ and groan and yell and holler and argue and most other things were even ""quite"" negative.

so where does this put Friend of Tubby and his race baiting? 4,000 posts???

I don't blame you, rick. Yesterday's threads were absolutely the worst that I have ever seen here. Bitch and moan and pi$$ and groan and yell and holler and argue and most other things were even ""quite"" negative.

I feel the problem is that some people take losses like these personally. They seem to consider these set backs personal insults, and if something goes wrong there has to be someone to blame.

My feeling is simply that I don't play the games. I just watch them. There is no reason for me too react to losses with anger. Disappointment perhap, but not anger. I'm old enough to realize that I won't always get my way. In fact, when it comes to major Gophers sports I will likely be settling for a lot less than perfection.

I feel the problem is that some people take losses like these personally. They seem to consider these set backs personal insults, and if something goes wrong there has to be someone to blame.

My feeling is simply that I don't play the games. I just watch them. There is no reason for me too react to losses with anger. Disappointment perhap, but not anger. I'm old enough to realize that I won't always get my way. In fact, when it comes to major Gophers sports I will likely be settling for a lot less than perfection.

fiji..the whole point of my post which you responded to was that I just do NOT believe that coming on this board and acting like spoiled brats solves any useful purpose except cause more and more bickering. That is why I did not reply to any of the childish bitching and moaning yesterday.

So in the meantime, why can't everyone realize that the world is not perfect, the meaning of life is not what life deals one, the true meaning of life is how we react to what life deals us.

Let's grow up...Period.

Dr.Don

BTW, if you think that you are the only one settling for less than perfection, join the crowd...perfection does not exist except in the minds of unrealistic jerks.

Its wise not to get too upset over what you can neither influence nor control.

But if you're a very immature person it's so easy to make an ass out of yourself by thinking that you CAN influence and control, especially on a chat page -- good post Roy.

I've been a participant on this board for some 15+ years dating back near to Jason's original and beautiful creation. I find it nearly impossible to want to take part lately and I get very little enjoyment from visiting this board now days. There are so many wonderful contributors here but they are drowned out by a sea of immature posters and trolls. Never been a fan of the "pay" sites but GH might want to consider it...I would certainly enroll to get back to reading thought-out posts amongst fellow Gopher fans that can agree/disagree in a respectful fashion.

I've been a participant on this board for some 15+ years dating back near to Jason's original and beautiful creation. I find it nearly impossible to want to take part lately and I get very little enjoyment from visiting this board now days. There are so many wonderful contributors here but they are drowned out by a sea of immature posters and trolls. Never been a fan of the "pay" sites but GH might want to consider it...I would certainly enroll to get back to reading thought-out posts amongst fellow Gopher fans that can agree/disagree in a respectful fashion.

But even pay sites have this problem now. I just do not know what the solution is. Wish we would see more of u on here though Slim...

Just an idea, but some boards make posters wait until they achieve a certain post count before they can start new threads. I have always thought that was a bad idea, but am beginning to reconsider my opinion on the top after seeing what is happening on both boards here. I have no problem with a negative opinion on the state of Gopher Basketball (or Football), but I'd like to know the person starting the top actually is a Gopher fan.

The loss today sucked, but it exemplified why you can't lose a game like Michigan State at home. Even really good teams some times get blown out on the road, it's now happened to the Gophers twice. If the Gophers simply would have beat Indiana and Michigan State, we'd still be having a disappointing season, but we probably would be on the good side of the bubble.

(I also posted this on another thread with a similar topic)
I agree. I am new but I agree completely. We need to stop frivolous imposters before they get a hold of the room and drive all the real minds of Gopher Hole out. What do we do? How do we stop the evil? I have a few suggestions:

- Start a task force that investigates this issue (I offer my services to lead this task force)
- Get a SS # in order for people to sign up
- Get a credit card # that matches the name (beware: some might have fake credit cards with aliases)
- Make people use their real name - It's anonymity that drives this foolishness
- Checking IP addresses will never work - I use an IP randomizer so "people" cannot tell who I am
- Anyone who is interested in becoming a Gopher Hole member has to purchase a security token that has revolving passcodes that must be entered to sign in.

Monsy, hold your head up man. You are letting the board get a hold of you both physically and psychologically. Don't fight it, just go with it then take the board back when they are least expecting it with some of your ol' stlye posts. You are a survivor Monsy, a real survivor.

"You can take the posts away from Monsy, but you can never take Monsy away from the posts"

(I also posted this on another thread with a similar topic)
I agree. I am new but I agree completely. We need to stop frivolous imposters before they get a hold of the room and drive all the real minds of Gopher Hole out. What do we do? How do we stop the evil? I have a few suggestions:

- Start a task force that investigates this issue (I offer my services to lead this task force)
- Get a SS # in order for people to sign up
- Get a credit card # that matches the name (beware: some might have fake credit cards with aliases)
- Make people use their real name - It's anonymity that drives this foolishness
- Checking IP addresses will never work - I use an IP randomizer so "people" cannot tell who I am
- Anyone who is interested in becoming a Gopher Hole member has to purchase a security token that has revolving passcodes that must be entered to sign in.

Are you not the same poster for his first ever post said, "Royce is at the game. I'm not sure he is playing our even in uniform. I will try to confirm."

This site

Slim Tubby, 15+ years, for real? I don't even think I had discovered the internet in 1995. I think I found the Gopherhole in 2001.

The "good old days" always become more fondly remembered as time goes on. Loon and Wren and flafann and co. were pretty annoying too.

Are you not the same poster for his first ever post said, "Royce is at the game. I'm not sure he is playing our even in uniform. I will try to confirm."

Yes, and what is your point?

Slim Tubby, 15+ years, for real? I don't even think I had discovered the internet in 1995. I think I found the Gopherhole in 2001.

The "good old days" always become more fondly remembered as time goes on. Loon and Wren and flafann and co. were pretty annoying too.

Websites were just startup to pop up in pre-'95. People were using Mosaic and then Netscape. Then they discovered that the corporate security team could track what sites they went to.

Before that, it was all Gopher and newsgroups.

Top Bottom