Too Many Transfers to Overcome

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
This defense is deflated and has no spares. Too many guys transferred and there were not enough quality replacements.

Add to that the loss of some of the position coaches to other conference opponents, Fleck and Rossi really have their work cut out.

I think the recruiting has been consistent from HS recruiting personnel, but the transfers and loss of quality coaches is obvious now.

This defense is deflated and has no spares. Too many guys transferred and there were not enough quality replacements.

Add to that the loss of some of the position coaches to other conference opponents, Fleck and Rossi really have their work cut out.

I think the recruiting has been consistent from HS recruiting personnel, but the transfers and loss of quality coaches is obvious now.
And why did all this happen?

And why did all this happen?
Is it money? Is it playing time? Is it "closer to family"? Or is it realized I committed to playing for a coach who expects me to clap for him when he enters a room, I made a mistake and want to get the hell away from him.

Excuses don’t cut it. Whoever they hired for secondary coach should be fired. We’re power five and Big Ten and you’re telling me we can’t find talent? I’d like to think we’re not Vanderbilt or Wake Forest. Maybe we are?

Is it money? Is it playing time? Is it "closer to family"? Or is it realized I committed to playing for a coach who expects me to clap for him when he enters a room, I made a mistake and want to get the hell away from him.
If you lay out expectations, give consequences, and create an environment where you lead and they follow, you get high APR, lead the country in fewest penalties per game, and win 9+ games three times in five years before you dip into your a five/six win season.

If it happens again next year we revisit things. For now, this is not okay but it's tolerable as long as it's an outlier. We were due. You've seen too much Gopher football to get too pissed about it

Excuses don’t cut it. Whoever they hired for secondary coach should be fired. We’re power five and Big Ten and you’re telling me we can’t find talent? I’d like to think we’re not Vanderbilt or Wake Forest. Maybe we are?
You realize that 10 of the 14 teams in the B1G have same or worst record than we do?

Our secondary coach has been putting guys in the pros and will have Nubin and Walley out there over the next couple, there's something off about this year but I think it's an outlier. Time will tell.

I have another follow up. If those players left and weren’t good enough to cut it here, what are you saying? Too many transfers? Dixon, Ortiz, Anderson, and Trill Carter… not ready for prime time.

You realize that 10 of the 14 teams in the B1G have same or worst record than we do?
Yes. But settling for mediocrity brings you back to Gutekunst, Wacker, and Brewster. So what you want? We shouldn’t have lost to Northwestern or Illinois. Bringing in a back up doesn’t mean regressing to D3 talent.

Dixon and Booker really really hurt. Interesting that they left when it seems like they were destined for big-time roles this year with us.

Our secondary coach has been putting guys in the pros and will have Nubin and Walley out there over the next couple, there's something off about this year but I think it's an outlier. Time will tell.
I’ve got news for you, Nick Monroe has put no one in the pros. I’m pretty sure the secondary coach went to Rutgers to be the D coordinator and joined Kirk in what is Gophers east. Don’t wanna rain in your parade, but the drop off in coaching is definitely present. When your D backs sit and bitch at each other for three weeks in a row, you’ve got a problem.

I’ve got news for you, Nick Monroe has put no one in the pros. I’m pretty sure the secondary coach went to Rutgers to be the D coordinator and joined Kirk in what is Gophers east. Don’t wanna rain in your parade, but the drop off in coaching is definitely present. When your D backs sit and bitch at each other for three weeks in a row, you’ve got a problem.
Been a real noticeable drop off in D back play and communication.

Dixon and Booker really really hurt. Interesting that they left when it seems like they were destined for big-time roles this year with us.
Why did Dixon leave? Do we know??

Dixon transferred to Rutgers, where our old D-backs coach became D-coordinator. I don't recall reason's he said when he left.

That the competition is mostly weak is not an excuse. It's an indictment.

Actually Monroe did help several Syracuse players get into the NFL.

They could have used Braelin Oliver and/or Donald Willis today. Wasn’t Craig McDonald cleared to play? I haven’t seen him out there. Same for Rowan Zolman.

All the guys who left, did so because they thought they were not going to get the playing time they wanted and/or not start in a position they wanted to start in.

Latter I think is mainly Dixon, who was the starting "big Nickle" last year (the position that Jack Henderson plays this year), but he wanted to be a starting safety. But Nubin decided to come back, so he left.

Whatever the reasons are, we look smaller, less athletic and deep across the board. DL seems to be our saving grace at the moment.

Burnsie on JG this morning says the transfers a LB have hit us hard with Cody out, then yesterday without Baronowski.

No conspiracies behind it just the Portal providing the chance to get more playing time or a more desirable position.

Meanwhile, JG put it on the Defensive front as no shows yesterday. Mrs. Billd was certainly yelling in our living room about that fact.

I understand that we have lost some talent, especially on defense, due to the transfer portal, but are we the only school in the Big Ten that has lost players to the portal? Does anyone have a list of all the B1G schools portal guys so we can compare. How are these other schools not having meltdowns like this? Maybe Wisconsin is having the same issues as us.

I understand that we have lost some talent, especially on defense, due to the transfer portal, but are we the only school in the Big Ten that has lost players to the portal? Does anyone have a list of all the B1G schools portal guys so we can compare. How are these other schools not having meltdowns like this? Maybe Wisconsin is having the same issues as us.
I think Burnsie put it as a situation not unique to Minnesota but that we're particularly susceptible to a positional Portal hit with the heavy recruiting reliance on HS prospects and the fact that we're more a developmental program talent wise.

Right now there is no good answer here for us. The Portal has made "the grass looks greener over there" a reality as now you can hop the proverbial fence over to another pasture. No guarantees on the other side of the fence but you know what you have now and are just not happy.

Grandpa expounding on the Good Ole Days is certainly looking truer in some respects.

Well, the way you keep them here is NIL.

We don’t have it.

If you can get $25k here from DA, and $45k from Rutgers (making something up), why not try it? It costs you nothing. No lost eligibility.

NFL doesn’t allow that level of freedom. Nor any other big money sports league in the world, that I’m aware of.

Makes for a crappy product that turns fans off. Broken system

Have you seen the big10 west? Teams outside of Michigan, PSU and OSU are having issues.

I think Burnsie put it as a situation not unique to Minnesota but that we're particularly susceptible to a positional Portal hit with the heavy recruiting reliance on HS prospects and the fact that we're more a developmental program talent wise.

Right now there is no good answer here for us. The Portal has made "the grass looks greener over there" a reality as now you can hop the proverbial fence over to another pasture. No guarantees on the other side of the fence but you know what you have now and are just not happy.

Grandpa expounding on the Good Ole Days is certainly looking truer in some respects.
But we are also the other side of the fence for players on other teams, so we should be able to attract players unhappy with the greenness of their grass.

Have you seen the big10 west? Teams outside of Michigan, PSU and OSU are having issues.
More than we have shown in games again Northwestern, Illinois, and Purdue? Maybe we have lost more to the portal than those teams.

OK, then where are they?

I'm telling you, Minnesota to people not from the upper midwest is Canada.

They don't want to come here. Doesn't matter that we're in the Big Ten and we have BT playing time to offer. They don't want to come here.

That's the uphill battle we've always been fighting, and will never overcome.

UNLESS major college football does the smart thing and makes it like the NFL: draft for high school prospects, if they tell you you have to come to Minnesota, and must stay here a minimum of two years, you have no choice. Collectively bargained, etc.

Hope it happens. But not holding my breath.

Top Bottom