Tommy West nailed this one

Hooligan119th

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLk06dQlyAE

I never knew who the heck the HC for Memphis was before this. Just seen a bit on him on ESPN and his firing. I went on to youtube to see his whole speech and it got me thinking about our program here in good ol' MN. I think this guy nailed this speech and I think Brewster would say a lot of the same things if he was let go after this year.

I don't need to go into it at all cause we all know who the negative people are on this board that are calling for Brew's head and we all know what the papers say about coach and the program.

Tommy West, you nailed it. I'm behind ya Brew and I'll see ya at the game this weekend!!!

Go Gophers!!!!

Good speech. I think sometimes Twin City reporters have some goofy idea that they are reporting on politics in Washington DC. Somehow they seem to think that if they fail to print and highlight anything that's negative they are somehow failing their fifth column duties. The same things with us fans. This is a program that has come a long way and has a long way to go. Some of the crap we read in these columns and forums cannot but help turn off potential recruits.

This doesn't mean we need to sugar coat anything but at all times we need to recognize the goal and acknowledge the improvement at the same time we ask those difficult questions that should be asked. It's a fine line but we need to try a little harder. As to phat Pat and a few others, I suppose it'll never happen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLk06dQlyAE

I never knew who the heck the HC for Memphis was before this. Just seen a bit on him on ESPN and his firing. I went on to youtube to see his whole speech and it got me thinking about our program here in good ol' MN. I think this guy nailed this speech and I think Brewster would say a lot of the same things if he was let go after this year.

I don't need to go into it at all cause we all know who the negative people are on this board that are calling for Brew's head and we all know what the papers say about coach and the program.

Tommy West, you nailed it. I'm behind ya Brew and I'll see ya at the game this weekend!!!

Go Gophers!!!!

shoot! you beat me to it! i was just going to post this video as well. thanks for doing it. i like what he said and that he wasn't afraid to say it on camera directly to the memphis media.

now when you look at the entire history of the memphis and minnesota football programs, minnesota is obviously a far more successful program. but, i have a feeling that a lot of what he said (especially during the second half of the video) is something that just about every gophers football coach since murray warmath has wanted to say to the many "i think i should be in new york" d-bags in the minneapolis/st. paul media and to some of the people out there who try and call themselves "fans" of the program in public, but in reality are really nothing more than negative, glass is always half-empty fuch heads that are hell-bent on running it into the ground every chance they get.

good for you tommy west!

go gophers! go coach brew & staff!

Every part of that speech is what Brew is fighting here in this state. Is he in-experienced, yes but we knew that coming in that isn't his fault. Now it is being reported that the local media is trying to drum up some big issue involving the football or basketball team. I love my state, I love my Gopher's but sometimes I just can't take some people. Always trying to find the negative.

Every part of that speech is what Brew is fighting here in this state. Is he in-experienced, yes but we knew that coming in that isn't his fault. Now it is being reported that the local media is trying to drum up some big issue involving the football or basketball team. I love my state, I love my Gopher's but sometimes I just can't take some people. Always trying to find the negative.

are you just referring to the coverage of the last week here? or are you referring to something "new" that they are trying to drum up to move some more dead trees? just wanted to clarify. thanks

The best part of that video to me is the awkward dude at the end (AD?) who walks up to the podium looking flabbergasted. I'm guessing he's the guy West wants to step up and put something into the program.

Coach West is right on. Nice to see someone say that. Makes you appreciate the endless optimism of Brewster and wonder if it would last 9 years if he were still here then.

are you just referring to the coverage of the last week here? or are you referring to something "new" that they are trying to drum up to move some more dead trees? just wanted to clarify. thanks

Rumors have it to be something totally new... Unfortunately

It's a conspiracy I tell you. I heard the media is even beginning to use unmarked squad cars to do their dirty work, that is when they are not hiding behind grassy knolls.

GopherGod- Did you move back from San Antonio?? Glad to see your still my biggest fan!

Man. If Royce is the guy folks here were right; Royce White MUST have mental issues. At the very least he's a kleptomaniac.

West was an assistant for Sparky Woods at South Carolina when I was a grad student there. He said what needed saying without sounding like a jerk - I hope that he gets another chance.

I think the Memphis coach was right on when it comes to fans - it's fair to ask "what can the fans do to support the kids on the field?". (How about not booing the kids for starters). Fans always want it both ways - we want to bitch when things don't go well and we want to believe that we're part of why they win when they do. So for a coach to reach out to the community to ask how fans can support the team is a great and fair question.

But I believe in the clip he also asked the same question of the media. I'm sorry but it is not the media's job to "support" the local teams. We might want it to be, but it just isn't. It's their job to report on what's happening, give us the facts (stats, scores, etc.) and then write about things from an interesting perspective. That might mean a story about how the athletes volunteer their time in the community, it might mean a story questioning the current coach, or it might mean investigative reporting about team members in trouble with the law.

The media has no responsibility to be a "fan" of the local teams. It's their job to write whatever they they want (or what they think will sell) and it's our job to either pay attention or not....or react or not....or write comments or letters to the editor or not. We can wish the local media acted like a fan - but they don't and they never will. Nor will they in Memphis.

I think the Memphis coach was right on when it comes to fans - it's fair to ask "what can the fans do to support the kids on the field?". (How about not booing the kids for starters). Fans always want it both ways - we want to bitch when things don't go well and we want to believe that we're part of why they win when they do. So for a coach to reach out to the community to ask how fans can support the team is a great and fair question.

Very well said, you are spot on. I will never understand why people boo high school or college kids (yes I've heard fans boo at a high school game). Sure I get just as frustrated as the next person when we don't play well. But booing does absolutely nothing but hurt the team and program.

Can anyone honestly say that when our fans boo that it encourages our players to play better? I know it would have pissed me off even more if it happened when I played college ball. It looks bad to recruits even if they are watching the game on tv. It looks bad to the casual fan who may be at his/her first Gopher game.

Again, I understand the frustration as I'm right there with everyone. But fans really do play a big role in games. We saw that in the Michigan State game.

Thanks for the link. Very well said by coach West, in a nut shell we the people (fans) can either be part of the solution or part of the problem. I will continue to support coach Brewster and hopefully be part of the solution.

This is an issue no doubt, for the University of Minnesota program. Obviously specifically the football program as of late. I can't believe the incredible amounts of bitterness toward Brewster sometimes, in only his third year of coaching here. You can dislike the bravado he sometimes emits, or the fact that the product on the field can be genuinely frustrating at times. That's all valid. But when a guy pours as much effort into this program as Brewster has the last three years, I think people are doing him an incredible disservice to just jump on him because the results aren't what we want them to be immediately (and yes, less than 3 years in is pretty much immediately in the college FB world). He is trying to break through all the negative vibes this program was swamped with the last so many years, and there are people out there who are making it darn near impossible for him to do. It is not easy AT ALL to turn a program around in those circumstances.

Top Bottom