TOMMIES beat St Francis by 36 and hold them under 48 pts!!

Reusse was talking about this a little bit with 'Randball' on a Strib podcast.

He said this Rhode kid from Wisconsin is really good - called him a "Big Ten level player."

St. Thomas is very well-coached and they seem to have some good athletes. we'll see how their season winds up, but they could very well be competitive in the Summit.

Reusse says that down the road, St. Thomas would like to get in the Big East some day for everything except Football, but that would require a lot of money to improve facilities.

Er

He said this Rhode kid from Wisconsin is really good - called him a "Big Ten level player."

St. Thomas is very well-coached and they seem to have some good athletes. we'll see how their season winds up, but they could very well be competitive in the Summit.

Reusse says that down the road, St. Thomas would like to get in the Big East some day for everything except Football, but that would require a lot of money to improve facilities.
We got stuck with lame Ben while ST got the best guy.

"TOMMIES beat St Francis by 36 and hold them under 48 pts!!"​

That sounds like a great thread for the off topic board.

Dump football and try to become like Gonzaga

My guess is the Gophers will get St Thomas on their schedule yearly in the future. It makes little sense right now as the program is trying to get established under Johnson.

Surprised that I haven't seen any comments on here yet, or really in the StarTrib about the Tommies and how they demolished St Francis...by more than the Gophs.

I get that our team is injured (Battle & Carrington), but the Tommies were also down a starter Bjorklund (one of their few guys over 6'6"). *I don't count Fox and Ihnen as real difference makers for these reasons:
-ihnen has essentially showed nothing in the 2 years he played except that he is tall and not Konate
-Fox has never played a D1 game - so hard to really project him as a key cog

The Tommies destroyed St Francis. If you haven't seen them play, check them out. With modern basketball it is hard to find a comparison as so few teams play true team basketball...but if one is to compare them to a modern team...it would be the Golden State Warriors (as Miller is an incredible 3pt shooter and the team in general shoots extremely high 3pt %) or the 2016 San Antonio Spurs - I say this purely on how they move the ball. They have an open shot but pass it for an even better open shot...and this happens multiple times on each possession.

Other reason to check them out, they have some young talent: Rohde, Lee, Blue (these guys are all stud freshmen) - give them two years and they will be scary.

They may win the Summit league this year (worst case is 3 years from now) - yet the Gophs won't play them.

Side note - they play Creighton while we play Western Michigan to open the season...maybe we should start scheduling better teams.

Go Gophs, Roll TOMS!

🤷‍♂️ and don’t care

St. Thomas is at 234 on KenPom, 5th for summit even behind 0-3 NDSU. Minnesota sits at 119, a few spots behind Oral Roberts and two spots ahead of SDSU. Will be interesting to follow as the season goes along.

It wouldn't be a total lose/lose for MN, if we are a bubble team and beat the Summit champs who have a quality loss against Creighton, plus bringing in revenue for the one game at the U

Think they were closer to 300 in the preseason. For whatever its worth, if you filter out the preseason prediction component Torvik has St. Thomas ranked 65th (tops in the Summit) so far this season and the Gophers 130th. Extremely small sample size of course, no Battle, etc. etc. but St. Thomas has looked pretty good

Think they were closer to 300 in the preseason. For whatever its worth, if you filter out the preseason prediction component Torvik has St. Thomas ranked 65th (tops in the Summit) so far this season and the Gophers 130th. Extremely small sample size of course, no Battle, etc. etc. but St. Thomas has looked pretty good
Great point, I knew they were way back there and kinda shooting up the ranks. This is why I like this message board

It's a fun idea, but does anyone remember Winona State?

To be a little fair that was a horrible Gophers team and a really good Winona St team that was in the middle of 2 National Championships in 3 years.

I thought I heard Bjorklund could get another year because he didn’t start playing basketball until his junior which ended up being 8 MIAC games… and he played last year.. there was talk he could get another.. I have no clue if he would want to comeback..

Tommies smart kids and smart coach you can look at them and can see they are smart. So smart.

"TOMMIES beat St Francis by 36 and hold them under 48 pts!!"​

That sounds like a great thread for the off topic board.
Let's review the description of this board.

The Golden Gopher Basketball Forum is where die-hard Gopher basketball fans talk about the program, upcoming games, recruiting, and college basketball.

In case anyone cares.....St. Thomas is getting shit on by the Montana Hill People 43-26 at half.

In case anyone cares.....St. Thomas is getting shit on by the Montana Hill People 43-26 at half.
They should start scheduling teams the quality of the gophers opponents (central Michigan is #303 in KenPom)…plus basketball is a game of runs

Top Bottom