Tom Powers: U's propaganda puts an unhappy spin on a feel-good story

That's quite a take. This is not "a once every 5 year thing". It's far more frequent than you think.

Let's go back just one year, same week as this year's five night hospital stay. Coaching Northern Illinois... after their home opener, he winds up in the hospital for four nights. Even though some in this thread now want to believe he is Mr. open and forthright, spilling out everything as of late, you really don't think he was having seizures last year at this time when he missed the majority of a week during the season? I'll bet the house (it's not that much, really - my LTV is ridiculously high) that he was.

2005 - in the hospital for six nights
2006 - seizure on a Sunday after the taping of TV show - in the hospital for four nights
2010 - in the hospital four nights, I'll put money where my mouth is that he was having seizures
2011 - in the hospital five nights

Call me kookie, but I come to the understanding that, at a minimum, in four of the last seven seasons head coach Kill has missed a week during the football season because of his "routine & not unhealthy" seizures.

Killer Quotes:
"[doctors believe the seizures are caused by] fatigue and lack of sleep"
"I'm not going to have somebody tell me I can't do something."

Fair enough. But my quote was taken out of context. The concern was Coach having another PUBLIC seizure. And as far as I'm aware, he last had a public seizure in 2005 at SIU.

One of things not mentioned in any stories is that Kill was injured physically more by being held down than the seizure itself. This is a fact. Who knows what else that did to him physically. The EMTs made a mistake in protocal, and that has been corrected. Let's see how this pans out over the next week or so. The seizures have a cause which can be corrected by medication.

The physical toll was multifacted. Being held down during a seizure and being 50 years old are two of them. Kill may be perfectly fine in a couple of weeks. Let's not bury Caesar yet.

There's also a Federal law called HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) that does not allow medical information on an individual to be released without that individual's permission. The U cannot release any information about Kill without his permission. NONE.Maybe a crackerjack reporter like Powers would know that.

+1 This! I had the same thoughts as I was reading his "article". As someone else stated, he should head to Target field.

Ok. It's been discussed. My point is the doom-and-gloomers here seem to know and understand that Coach is not ok and are setting out a path to recovery. All without any diagnosis or understanding outside of what has been reported by Mr. Powers and other media interviews. To me, and probably to a few others, those 'discussions' aren't doing anyone any good. It's pretty obvious that if Coach does go down with something for an extended period of time that the continuity of his coordinators would step in and the team wouldn't miss a beat when it comes down to preparation and execution for their games on Saturday. This last week proved that to be true.

Then, if we have continuity and the coordinators can do the job without coach Kill, then we are 1 employee too many, which I think you would agree, we are not 1 employee too many. So, either we have 1 too many, or there will be a deficit of preparation in some area when he is not available to coach. And there remains the rub.

Then, if we have continuity and the coordinators can do the job without coach Kill, then we are 1 employee too many, which I think you would agree, we are not 1 employee too many. So, either we have 1 too many, or there will be a deficit of preparation in some area when he is not available to coach. And there remains the rub.

It's not that black and white, Oldy. I'm talking about having the continuity to operate as normal in an event of Coach Kill not being able to be with the program for a set amount of time. Which means that ultimately he'll rejoin the team. Meanwhile, the coordinators and Coach Kill have all said that there's enough continuity in place that the team wouldn't miss a beat preparation. That's not to say the team wouldn't miss the ol' ball coach.

It's not that black and white, Oldy. I'm talking about having the continuity to operate as normal in an event of Coach Kill not being able to be with the program for a set amount of time. Which means that ultimately he'll rejoin the team. Meanwhile, the coordinators and Coach Kill have all said that there's enough continuity in place that the team wouldn't miss a beat preparation. That's not to say the team wouldn't miss the ol' ball coach.

I am not living in a black and white world... fully chromatic. I can admire the pluck of the coaches who say they can pull the extra weight of preparation. Maybe they can for the short term. My point is there will be things they cut out in order to prepare for things they would not otherwise do or are even aware that they should do. I'm not sure Lime and Clay, too very earthy guys, have been vetted for the head coach job.

Oookay:

I've worked with many people who have seizure disorders over the last five years. I have seen countless seizures. I've been with a person when they experienced his/her first seizure. I had to participate in the subsequent visits to doctors regarding the subsequent diagnosis of a seizure disorder. I am not a doctor, and I wouldn't call myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I know more about seizures than I ever would have expected. I will give my two cents, a lot of which is anecdotal, some of which is straight from doctors. I do not want it taken as complete fact - but it is probably a lot more accurate than what is being tossed around by casual observers. Anyone who knows more about a particular area, feel free to correct me or add to what I am saying.

What is a seizure?

Physiologically, it is my understanding that it is basically the neurons in the brain misfiring. It can be localized to a certain area in the brain, or it can occur throughout. The location and the breadth of the misfiring can cause different types of seizures. There are many types of seizures, and I could only name some of the most general types.

The seizure type that Jerry appeared to have (and he may have other types) was a grandmal or general tonic clonic seizure. This is characterized by rapid, uncontrolled, seemingly random convulsions.

What causes a seizure?
I don't know, and I do not think they are all that well understood in general. I'm sure there are some who could shed light on this.

What contributes to a seizure?
There are many things that could contribute. Some of the things that are known "triggers" for people I have worked with, or been told:
Medications - for example, I have seen an anti-psychotic that likely lowered the threshhold for a seizure.
Other chemicals - I have seen caffeine and chocolate as known "triggers" for seizure activity.
Flashing Lights - hence why video games or strobe lights are not recommended for people with seizures.
Fatigue - can't add too much here.
Temperature - I've known several people whose trigger is heat. I'm not sure if cold weather could be a factor.

I'm going to interject with an opinion here - three things on this list could be a concern for Jerry. The first is he is on medications due to other conditions. I do not know if they can contribute to seizure activity or not. However, this is something he and his doctors need to figure out. The other two are fatigue and temperature. Combining all three - Jerry has worked under these conditions for many years. His seizures, to our knowledge, have been fairly well controlled. Therefore, I do not think they are main contributing factors to his current condition. They *probably* need to find a new mix of anti-seizure medications, as for whatever reason, they have become less effective at controlling the condition. Could something else be going on? Sure, but let Jerry and his doctors determine that. If there is a new contributing factor, they will find and treat it, and we can readdress that issue if that occurs.

Some have stated that they do not believe his seizure disorder has been well controlled. Based on my experience, I disagree. Having several years between seizure activity is well controlled. Obvioiusly, at the current time it is not. Getting his seizures under control will likely require trial and error of different seizure meds, doses, and combinations of the meds.

What happens before a seizure?
This will vary from person to person. For some, it can come on unexpectedly. For others, there will be some indications before the seizure occurs. Jerry took a knee before his seizure started on the field. Consciously or not, he knew the seizure was coming. This is good, as it will likely keep him from falling from a full up-right position, which could lead to a head injury.

What do you do during a seizure?
Basically, you want to maintain a safe environment while the individual is seizing. People and objects should be cleared away, so that the seizing individual does not hurt themselves during convulsions (here I am speaking of a grand mal or tonic clonic seizure, which we have seen Jerry exhibit). You may place a pillow or something soft under the individual's head to try to prevent the individual from hitting his/her head. This needs to be done with care, and probably isn't recommended in all situations. Or maybe I learned an antiquated method.

Sometimes, a medication or treatment will be used to help stop the seizure. I know I've seen diazepam used to stop seizures. The medications used to stop a seizure can induce sleepiness, which in and of itself, or in conjunction with the post-seizure daze, may make them

What happens after a seizure?
For all individuals I've seen after a grand mal or clonic tonic seizure, there is usually a period where they are very dazed. Many people will sleep for several minutes or hours after the seizure. Often, the individual will not remember what happened immediately before the seizure, and will be hazy about what happened after they have "come to" after the seizure. This period of being dazed/hazy will vary based on the individual, length, type, and severity of the seizure.

Is a seizure life threatening?
Usually, no. The seizure will run its course, and the person will likely resume normal activity within a few hours, or maybe after a good night's rest. I would have to defer to someone else to define when a seizure would be life thretening.

What limitations are placed on people with seizure disorders?
This will vary situation to situation. Some possible restrictions would be avoiding known triggers, changing medications, staying away from (or finding a way to do it safely) bodies of water, avoiding operation of heavy machinery, avoiding heights, etc.

Purely my opinion...
I've witnessed countless seizures from numerous people. That said, a football field is probably one of the safest places, in my opinion, to have a seizure. Why? You're in an open field. Grass and turf is softer than almost any other surface we encounter in our daily lives. Save the initial fall - which could be experienced anytime an individual is standing - it is as safe as any other area to have a seizure. Anyting that happened to be around him at the time could easily be moved, and there would be plenty of people to help move whatever was near Jerry. Some of the common triggers to seizures are a part of Jerry's job, namely fatigue and heat. However, he has been coaching for a long time, and the seizures have been controlled despite this. That tells me they probably are not the main cause, and can, for now, largely be discarded. His medications are his own business - and would be inherent to anything else he does in life. Save the period of time where he may be sleepy/tired/fatigued/hazy after the seizure, in no way should the condition impair his ability to fulfill his duties. As an adult, he has the right to manage the risks in accordance with his other goals and aspirations, which is at least partially to be a successful head coach.

Until the seizures are back under control, it will affect his ability to perform, albeit I believe it will be of much less impact than others are making it sound. Already, the seizures seem to be under more control than they were a week and a half ago. Given that, I fully support his wishes to continue as the active head coach of our football team, and I believe the University ought to as well. And I'm not an HR guru - but the University is probably under legal obligation to make reasonable accomodations regarding his seizure condition.

To those who think it will impact recruiting: I disagree. Let other coaches say what they want, let them try to put the seizure disorder in a negative light. More often than not, I am guessing, when Jerry sets the record straight with the recruits, they will come out: a.) respecting Jerry more; b.) having less trust in the coaches who tried to paint Jerry in a negative light with the condition. With these factors, I would say it could even help recruiting.

I'm not submitting this as a paper or source for seizures, and it is basically a free-thought response to this thread and other media outlets. I apologize if something isn't clear, or there are any typos. I'll clarify as needed.

Thank you, hya. Great post!

It seems obvious that the single overriding factor in the initial grand mal episode this time was his forgetfulness/unwillingness to stay hydrated. Someone made a great point (earlier in this thread, I believe) that he maybe doesn't drink as much water as he should during a game because he's afraid that he may have to step away for a moment to use the bathroom. It would fit right in with his "coach hard" mantra. It's either that, or he just gets so into the game that he forgets to take care of himself. Either way, he needs to take a step back and realize that if you don't do everything reasonable to protect your health, you have nothing. The program will get along much better with him stepping away from the action for a moment or two than it will with him gone for days at a time. It's pretty hard to be a good coach/mentor/role model when you're incapacitated and/or dead.

My spin on this whole event is my spin on life:

"You can fear the future, or you can prepare for it".

If anything, this event was a mental bonding moment for me. I bonded with family and friends, I bonded with the fans around me, and I bonded with Coach Kill. Look how this guy has bonded with the students. Was it shocking? Yes. Was it bad thing? Yes and No. I think this was mostly a unifying moment for Gopherdom.

And I'm not an HR guru - but the University is probably under legal obligation to make reasonable accomodations regarding his seizure condition.

As an HR guru, the key word is reasonable in reasonable accommodation. If he falls in the hallway and hits his head on a corner of a table, that is not reasonable. In one fell swoop, the accommodation is gone and the U's liability kicks in. I don't think every place he can have the seizure on the U property is going to be turf. There will be places that if he has the seizure he could get very injured. My mother passed out, not seizure related, while she was standing in her kitchen and hit a squared corner of the counter just above her eye. Not only was she concussed, but she was bleeding profusely. The opportunity for liability is real for the University with Jerry Kill. Substantial injuries can occur due to seizure. The U can reasonably accommodate most seizure susceptible employees. Although, in some positions, they can and I am sure do deny employment based on the individuals circumstance and the U's physical infrastructure at the place where the employee would work. Although the U would most likely keep Jerry Kill, it would be rather easy in these hard financial times to just say, "sorry Jerry, we can't afford to accommodate this condition as it puts an unreasonable financial burden on updating the facilities to accommodate the potential that you could seize and fall in any of our stairwells where you work. For example, to accommodate JK's condition, the U might require that he not ever take stairs and use elevators instead. If an elevator does not exist at the Bierman building, then installing one might be an unreasonable burden to the U. They could even dismiss him on grounds that they could not continue to accommodate him for fear that he would fall down the stairs. Reasonable accommodation is a two way street as far as the law is concerned. The employer has rights as well as the employee. There is no legal requirement to accommodate the disabled. The accommodation is a reasonable attempt to review the facts and make a determination that is both fair to the employer as well as the employee.

You don't understand what an accomodation is. Accomodations are things that an employer does to make it possible for employees to work there, for example, wheelchair accessible bathrooms. Telling Kill that he can't take stairs would not be an accomodation.

Top Bottom