Tom Powers: 'Better than a year ago' not good enough for Gophers football

The perception the local media continues to perpetuate is borderline funny, if so many general sports fans didn't read and believe it.
Powers probably can't name 5 players off the team right now. He probably hasn't been to one practice or even a game in the past 10 years.
His "writing" is just spewing his opinion up and adding a headline that will catch the eye.
People who go to games or watch them will know whether things are getting better or not after this season, regardless of the box score.

In the mind of scribes like Powers, there is no story. The Gophers have been crap and most everyone picks more of the same for this coming season. The sad thing is that most of the public have very litle interest in Gopher football.

But if Coach Kill can replicate what he has done in the past, then guys like Powers may even care and actually spend some time with the program. And all of a sudden the bandwagon geeks will show up and act like they have been there all along.

Many people here rip on Sid but he puts in his time and has done it for decades.

What will happen if we dominate the four non-conference games? What will happen if we don't?

; 0 )

Ah, another worthwhile quote from Chance of Being There. What will his next brilliant comment be?

As much as Brewster slit his own throat, the 1-11 season was far more on Mason than it was on Brewster imo.

Mason did a fantastic job of getting us relevant, but his heart wasn't in it by the end. There were no more MB3's, no Maroney's, no Gary Russel's, no Eslinger's, no Setterstrom's left when Brewster took over. Those Mason teams were behind us & the future did not look promising. That's why Mason had to scramble to find 7 (?) Jucos to play defense the next season. Once the coaching change happened all but 1 decomitted, leaving us with the worst talent on defense that I have ever seen on a Gopher roster. Then, to make matters worse 4 Mason recruits got busted for sexual assault & kicked off the team including our Captain/best player in DJ, plus 2 more projected starters in Massey/Daniels. Then another Mason recruit on defense Robert McField turned out to be wanted for bank robbery. Not saying Brewster was great, just that Buddy Ryan couldn't have made that defense work & imo Brew should have gotten something of a free pass that season.

So, in my mind it was Brewster trying to get us back to mediocre & he seemed to do that for a couple years before slipping backward the final year. The reason Brew was fired had far less to do with his coaching than it did with Brew the person & his inability to get along with Maturi et al. My .02

costa rico guy: I sure wish I was allowed to talk about that the way you are allowed to talk about that. Go figure. It is ok for some people to bring up that subject over and over. But, say, coata rico guy: are you even allowed to hijack a thread about Power's column to write about a tired old subject the way you just did. How impressive...

; 0 )

I think that "better than a year ago" is good enough, but we have to actually be better than a year ago. In my opinion, a fourth consecutive (third under Kill) 2-6 B1G season is not going to be an improvement, even if it comes accompanied with whining about the difficult schedule.

At home, we have an Iowa team that failed to make a bowl game last year, a sanction riddled PSU team, and a Wisconsin team faced with the uncertainty of a new coach. We also have an improving Indiana team with a Maginot line-like defense on the road. If we can't either win three of those games, or win two of them and pull off a big upset in one of our other four, I will be getting antsy.

Top Bottom