Tom Oates: 1959 UW-Minnesota game a Border Battle to remember

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Oates:

The winner-take-all Big Ten Conference football game between Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium needs no introduction.

The 13th-ranked Badgers and ninth-ranked Gophers will determine which team wins the West Division and gets to play Ohio State in next week's Big Ten championship game.

But while this showdown is as good as it gets in a rivalry that began in 1890, there was a time when season-ending games between UW and Minnesota had great meaning almost every season. During the 1950s and early 1960s, something was usually on the line for one or both teams and no game at old Memorial Stadium epitomized that stretch more than the 1959 contest.

The Badgers went into the final game that season ranked ninth with a 6-2 record and needed a win to secure at least a share of the Big Ten title. Minnesota had a 2-7 record, but had enough young talent that it won the national championship the following season.

Go Gophers!!

per Oates:

The winner-take-all Big Ten Conference football game between Minnesota and the University of Wisconsin Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium needs no introduction.

The 13th-ranked Badgers and ninth-ranked Gophers will determine which team wins the West Division and gets to play Ohio State in next week's Big Ten championship game.

But while this showdown is as good as it gets in a rivalry that began in 1890, there was a time when season-ending games between UW and Minnesota had great meaning almost every season. During the 1950s and early 1960s, something was usually on the line for one or both teams and no game at old Memorial Stadium epitomized that stretch more than the 1959 contest.

The Badgers went into the final game that season ranked ninth with a 6-2 record and needed a win to secure at least a share of the Big Ten title. Minnesota had a 2-7 record, but had enough young talent that it won the national championship the following season.

Go Gophers!!

I was at the game in Memorial Stadium. I was a seventh grader at the time.

On the first play, Minnesota QB Sandy Stephens hit an uncovered WR, Tom Hall, for a long touchdown. If memory serves me correctly, it was an eighty-yard touchdown. Both were sophomores.

Wisconsin's QB was Dale Hackbart. He later had a starring role with the Vikings as a defensive back.

Go Gophers!!

I was at the game in Memorial Stadium. I was a seventh grader at the time.

On the first play, Minnesota QB Sandy Stephens hit an uncovered WR, Tom Hall, for a long touchdown. If memory serves me correctly, it was an eighty-yard touchdown. Both were sophomores.

Wisconsin's QB was Dale Hackbart. He later had a starring role with the Vikings as a defensive back.

Go Gophers!!

Good stuff! Thanks DL65!

Go Gophers!!

Sorry to correct DL, but that was the 1961 game when Stephens hit an uncovered Tom Hall.
I was at the 59 and 61 games. The Gophs lost a low scoring game in 59.

Doc Gopher - I stand corrected, you're right! I misspoke, it was Arlie Bomstad who was the receiver who scored on the pass from Stephens.

Tom Hall got in on the scoring, however, by kicking the extra point.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom