Tom Lemming: Nelson #2 behind GK

Wow, that's pretty impressive.

new epsn rankings have him as the 94th best QB in the land..
I dont think they seperate pro/dual:

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...yer/evaluation?id=129222&_slug_=philip-nelson

They haven't updated his profile since june...

"Nelson may be limited in terms of ideal measurables, but he certainly is an accurate son of a gun and he compensates for his lack of height with an authoritative, quick release and some impressive arm power."

i'm going with lemming...

6'3" is now a height that a qb has to overcome to be successful? What in the name of Doug Flutie is now considered tall enough?

What's that?

I laughed when I read that then started thinking there is a good chance my kids will actually have that reaction when someone mentions a newspaper to them.

It's interesting to see such a wide variety of opinions/rankings of Nelson. Some have him pretty high, some not so much.

To be fair, Lemming's had a chubby for Nelson from the get-go. As far as his height is concerned, that doesn't matter. Mr. Rodgers is 6'2", Brees is lucky to be 6 flat. The Manning boys and Brady are all in the 6'4 range. Nelson measures out just fine.

Anyone know of Lemming's reputation when it comes to recruiting rankings? Like if he is spot-on or so-so? He seems pretty adamant about Nelson's potential.

Anyone know of Lemming's reputation when it comes to recruiting rankings? Like if he is spot-on or so-so? He seems pretty adamant about Nelson's potential.
Lemming though Seantrell Henderson was the best player in the country.
I didn't think Seantrell Henderson was the top player from Minnesota.

Lemming is just another guy with an opinion. I hope he is right about Nelson. I don't know enough to have an informed opinion on Nelson.

6'3" is now a height that a qb has to overcome to be successful? What in the name of Doug Flutie is now considered tall enough?

He is the exact same size as Chandler Harnish of NIU. (6'2" 220 lbs.) Harnish led the nation in rushing yards by a QB and was #27 in passing. Nelson has the size and tools for us to witness something very special over the next 4-5 years.

Lemming though Seantrell Henderson was the best player in the country.
I didn't think Seantrell Henderson was the top player from Minnesota.

Lemming is just another guy with an opinion. I hope he is right about Nelson. I don't know enough to have an informed opinion on Nelson.

Who was better? The only player who has even received playing time is Tarpley, and there isn't a soul in the country that would rank Tarpley anywhere near Henderson (even Mr. and Mrs. Tarpley).

Henderson was a starter (besides the first 2 games) at Miami, and was a FR All American by just about anyone who decides that sort of thing.

Who was better? The only player who has even received playing time is Tarpley, and there isn't a soul in the country that would rank Tarpley anywhere near Henderson (even Mr. and Mrs. Tarpley).

Henderson was a starter (besides the first 2 games) at Miami, and was a FR All American by just about anyone who decides that sort of thing.

Gjere, L. Edwards, Beau Allen, and Billy Turner (possibly others) have all received quite a bit of PT.

Rose has been advancing this "Henderson wasn't even the best player in Minnesota" bit for some time now. It's pretty hilarious.

Gjere, L. Edwards, Beau Allen, and Billy Turner (possibly others) have all received quite a bit of PT.

Rose has been advancing this "Henderson wasn't even the best player in Minnesota" bit for some time now. It's pretty hilarious.

Yeah, Gjere and Edwards have played some. As much as I hope they turn out better than Henderson, I don't think any of them would have ever been mistaken for being one of the best players from their class.

Beau Allen, he's been decent at WI (wish we had him here). Billy Turner? I guess if you tried to make some LakesBisonesque argument, but Turner dominated FCS, before Henderson got hurt he dominated the ACC.

Yeah, I don't really get that take. It's weird that the general consensus amongst people in MN is that he has been a flop.

I'd even say that a more impressive comparison for the ability/height argument is Drew Brees. A top 3 QB who is 6'0". Maybe.

Just doing some quick research, I'd guess the average height for a starting QB in the NFL is 6'2". Every QB in the NFC North is either 6'2" or 6'3".

Conzemius has been telling us for at least the last two years that MarQueis (at 6'4") is too tall to play QB. Now, Philip Nelson (at 6'2") is too short to play QB. Apparently, you must be precisely 6'3", or you are doomed to failure at QB.

Conzemius has been telling us for at least the last two years that MarQueis (at 6'4") is too tall to play QB. Now, Philip Nelson (at 6'2") is too short to play QB. Apparently, you must be precisely 6'3", or you are doomed to failure at QB.

Congenius would know.

He is a lazy player that has enough negatives to drag down his positives.
He is an academic risk.
He was an overrated high school player period. He doesn't finish blocks in the run game and the one time he faced division 1 quality linemen in high school he was destroyed and lost his status as the nations top prospect by many recruiting services.

Lamonte Edwards and jimmy gjere have received as much time as Henderson so far in their careers.

He is a lazy player that has enough negatives to drag down his positives.
He is an academic risk.
He was an overrated high school player period. He doesn't finish blocks in the run game and the one time he faced division 1 quality linemen in high school he was destroyed and lost his status as the nations top prospect by many recruiting services.

Lamonte Edwards and jimmy gjere have received as much time as Henderson so far in their careers.

Edwards was not a better player out of high school nor did he have more potential than Henderson. It's not even close. I saw Lamonte play maybe 10 times at Woodbury. He was obviously a BCS caliber athlete, but he obviously wasn't someone that you would watch and say he was a write-in for Mr. Football or something (even if Seantrel wasn't in the state).

Edwards was not a better player out of high school nor did he have more potential than Henderson. It's not even close. I saw Lamonte play maybe 10 times at Woodbury. He was obviously a BCS caliber athlete, but he obviously wasn't someone that you would watch and say he was a write-in for Mr. Football or something (even if Seantrel wasn't in the state).

Oh, is that why Seantrel was an All-Freshmen and started 9 games?

lets get this back on topic...

i personally can not think of a mn recruit that has gotten the pub like nelson is getting. i dont rely on lemmings ability to scout players.. however he is pimpin Nelson really hard. if this kid lives up to his billing the gophers are going to be a FUN team to watch. I hope Tom is right with him..

lets get this back on topic...

i personally can not think of a mn recruit that has gotten the pub like nelson is getting. i dont rely on lemmings ability to scout players.. however he is pimpin Nelson really hard. if this kid lives up to his billing the gophers are going to be a FUN team to watch. I hope Tom is right with him..
Do you mean this year or ever? Cause Mauer and Henderson got a lot of pub.

Gerry DiNardo:

Just finished PN tape. Like him. Accurate, needs 2 improve velocity & arm strength runs well enough Rated 3 star agree

Top Bottom