Tom Fenton: There’s a method to P.J. Fleck’s madness

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Fenton:

His time and message are now in demand, but mailing it in on speaking engagements doesn’t appear to be his style.

While most in the coaching ranks would run for the hills when asked to speak to the media, he approached it like he does his coaching by embracing the challenge.

“I’m a little bit nervous just so everybody knows,” Fleck said to open his speech. “When Heather told me I was going to speak to all of you, I said ‘I’m speaking to who?’ She said ‘Yeah, all the reporters and newspapers in the state.’ I was like, ‘You want me to speak to them about our culture, and you know every single one of them will have a recorder and everything I say will be reported on?’”

Fleck was joking to lighten the mood, as he did several times, including stories about his mother taking him to the family doctor to find out “what is wrong with this kid” and his youngest daughter being a bit of a handful.
He talked about “Row the Boat” stemming from the death of his infant son and the difficulties of recruiting athletes from the southern U.S. because of the weather.

“Official [recruiting] visits in June have helped,” Fleck joked.

Fleck captivated the audience, enthusiastically explaining his philosophies and what he wants out of his program.
He was called too small and too short to succeed in football, but he won back-to-back state championships at Kaneland Park High School in Maple Park, Illinois, and was the leading receiver as a senior at Northern Illinois.
He signed with the San Francisco 49ers as a free agent and spent most of the 2004 season on the practice squad before finally appearing in the season-finale on special teams.

His NFL career lasted 2 1/2 years, leading to a quick start to his coaching career. At every level, Fleck said he was told “you can’t do that.” It’s obvious he didn’t like that label.

One of Fleck’s main recruiting tools includes a leadership wall that depicts many of his heroes. It includes the likes of President John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr., Oprah Winfrey and Jackie Robinson.

He asks potential recruits to talk about their lives from birth until now before asking them to identify people on the wall.

“That’s all I do,” Fleck said. “I’ve had players say that Jackie Robinson was Barry Bonds. If you think that’s Barry Bonds, we’ve got a problem. I am not for everyone. There are certain reporters in the state who have hated me from day one and even after 11 wins, they still hate me. Not only that, they hate me more.

“I’m not here to be liked. I’m here to be respected by the job that I do and to be loved by my players. If you’re not 16-22, you’re going to have a difficult time understanding me. You’re not my demographic. When I’m doing things that are out there, it fits with the young people. It’s not an act. The one thing I love about our culture is I get to be exactly who I am.

“I took the job at the University of Minnesota, to be honest, to be legendary. I didn’t take the job to be average. I didn’t take the job to not promise you anything. I took the job to make sure this city gets a championship, and we were two quarters away from doing that.”

He’s off to a good start, and long-suffering Gophers fans are hoping it continues.

Go Gophers!!

“I’m not here to be liked. I’m here to be respected by the job that I do and to be loved by my players. If you’re not 16-22, you’re going to have a difficult time understanding me. You’re not my demographic. When I’m doing things that are out there, it fits with the young people. It’s not an act. The one thing I love about our culture is I get to be exactly who I am.

I'm well over that age range and I don't have a difficult time. But I'm cool that way.

I'm well over that age range and I don't have a difficult time. But I'm cool that way.
Me too. I don't think he's invented new ideas, but he has a way of putting them that's digestible and turns light bulbs on over people's heads.

Like Fleck's Leadership Wall w pictures. Makes me reflect on who/what images I would put on a wall ... Certainly Lincoln, MLK, Teddy Roosevelt, Jesse Owens, the Purple People Eaters, and Obama staring down that worthless runt Putin to name a few.

I'm old. I think PJ is awesome.

But his POV about some folks not liking it is spot on. Some folks just don't like a thing, usually for some stupid reasons they make up on their own. You can't worry about the haters.

He is doing a great job. Some folks will come around, some won't.

I don't really think what PJ does is all THAT different than most coaches, but the style seems different and that catches people's eye.

Everything goes in a circle, one day PJ will be old and folks will complain he's too stuck in the mud with his thing ;)

Abe Lincoln's exact words on General Grant's reputed drinking are lost in the murky mist of time, but it was along these lines: "what kind of whiskey does he drink? I'll send a barrel of it to my other commanders"

Similarly, if Fleck is Mad (which he's not), then find more assistant coaches who are equally unbalanced.

Abe Lincoln's exact words on General Grant's reputed drinking are lost in the murky mist of time, but it was along these lines: "what kind of whiskey does he drink? I'll send a barrel of it to my other commanders"

Similarly, if Fleck is Mad (which he's not), then find more assistant coaches who are equally unbalanced.

Anything a coach does that stands out and they're winning: See he is a mad genius!

Same stuff but losing: Look at this moron!

At this point you have to be very satisfied with the job PJ Fleck is doing here, even if you do not agree with his style. The people that are continuing to hate on him or badmouth him are showing their true colors. Fans of other teams that hate on him are probably feeling threatened by the Gophers rise and realize he just might be onto something very big here.

At this point you have to be very satisfied with the job PJ Fleck is doing here, even if you do not agree with his style. The people that are continuing to hate on him or badmouth him are showing their true colors. Fans of other teams that hate on him are probably feeling threatened by the Gophers rise and realize he just might be onto something very big here.

Are there really many people here hating on him? I feel like some people equate criticizing a certain aspect of the team/coach as "hating" on him. Even excellent coaches have flaws or have made mistakes. It's ok to discuss them.

The Billds attended Coach Fleck's the Signing Day Social event when he'd been here just over a month. I'd attended them before going back to Mase so it was both a normal thing to do but also the curiosity about the new Coach was high.

Anywho, once underway we got to the point where we were ready for Coach Fleck's part to end...namely because our faces hurt from smiling so hard and long. Mrs. Billd commented that she wasn't sure she could do that again.

Me, still smiling...

Saw him as the real deal then and do so now.

Progress.

Me too. I don't think he's invented new ideas, but he has a way of putting them that's digestible and turns light bulbs on over people's heads.
I think most wisdom and stuff is obvious.

As a blind man once said that he knew right from wrong without exception...but he didn't do it because it was too damn hard.

Getting people motivated, getting them to think about it, getting them to want to make those choices is the key.

I've been to a few of PJs talks, without exception I want to go out and hit someone on the football field afterwards...

Are there really many people here hating on him? I feel like some people equate criticizing a certain aspect of the team/coach as "hating" on him. Even excellent coaches have flaws or have made mistakes. It's ok to discuss them.
I can give you some quotes but then I'd be accused of being obsessed by the great crusader.

I can give you some quotes but then I'd be accused of being obsessed by the great crusader.
You two just need to sit down and have a beer together.

This is still the thing that gets me:

Fleck says flat out, "I'm not for everyone." He understands that some people are not going to "get" him, or just won't like his style.

But some people on this board still want it to be an all-or-nothing proposition. Either you accept Fleck 100% or you're a "hater" and "want the program to fail."

Fleck does some things that bug me. And I want the program to succeed. Those are not contradictory statements.

Like Fleck's Leadership Wall w pictures. Makes me reflect on who/what images I would put on a wall ... Certainly Lincoln, MLK, Teddy Roosevelt, Jesse Owens, the Purple People Eaters, and Obama staring down that worthless runt Putin to name a few.

You forgot Maya Angelou.

"I’m not here to be liked. I’m here to be respected by the job that I do and to be loved by my players. If you’re not 16-22, you’re going to have a difficult time understanding me. You’re not my demographic."

It is fairly ironic that PJ is more understanding of folks that don't like his style than many of his fans. Think about that Mully - you care more about my views on PJ than PJ does.

Anything a coach does that stands out and they're winning: See he is a mad genius!

Same stuff but losing: Look at this moron!

Yep.

PJF has appeared to crack the motivational code. His team just kicked the butts of a team with many multiples the number of high star recruits/majority blue chip. I think you’ll be hard pressed to find anyone that isn’t impressed by PJF‘s team or that doesn’t want to retain him by any means necessary. Of course that support will dry up if he starts turning in 4 win seasons.

Fleck is a great leader who has decided to coach football in an excellent fashion while molding and shaping young men to be great in life. He decided to orient his culture around the idea that one can create elite football players while also molding and shaping great young men. He is not a "football is life" coach or a "boys will be boys" coach. He has an ethic, a standard and is willing to speak into that ethic and standard with passion and enthusiasm. He is the type of coach I think young men who are not entitled and/or wanting to "let loose" in college will want to choose. Those who hate him also hate companies that build their brand on giving back.

Oprah Winfrey being a hero of his?

I have to really lol at that.

Top Bottom