Toledo’s Tyler Cochran commits to Minnesota.

Looks productive. I would have preferred a bigger wing for that last spot, as we only have the unproven Kadyn Betts (6'8") and transfer Femi Odukale (6'6"). Everyone else on the roster is a front court piece or a short guard like Cochran. At least we used all our available scholarships.

We really bullied Ben into using the last scholly, well done fellas. No but in all seriousness this looks like a really nice pickup this late in the offseason.

Wish he was a little bit taller but I can’t complain. 14 & 6 and was MAC defensive player of the year last season. He’ll instantly be in the top 6 of our rotation with Fox, Edmonds, and Rigbsy rounding out the top 9.

Last year Hawkins, Christie, Mitchell and Carrington got to the line a total of 235 times.
Patterson and Cochran got to the line a total of 230 times last season.
Femi is a physical guard/wing too. Not that that it's a good thing cause he was a 50% FT shooter last year but he got to the line 137 times as well. Ben seems to have put a big emphasis on more guys who can create rim pressure this offseason.

This addition of Cochran gives us another legitimate closing option at the end of close games. Tough to close games that come down to the last few possessions with multiple 55%> FTs shooters on the floor (Femi & F. Mitchell, Fox, or Edmonds)

I think we all agree if we are going to be good this year with the losses from last year's team it will need to be because of our defense. This certainly helps that. I like adding DPOY from other leagues, that skill translates more often than not. Not saying this vaults is too the top but I think this is more important that a few of our other adds. Overall for what we lost, pretty good transfer class.

Adding an experienced player at this stage with proven D skills is a big plus. Add in Okudale plus the other two experienced guards our D will be improved. We were really weak last year

Looks productive. I would have preferred a bigger wing for that last spot, as we only have the unproven Kadyn Betts (6'8") and transfer Femi Odukale (6'6"). Everyone else on the roster is a front court piece or a short guard like Cochran. At least we used all our available scholarships.
The game today three even four guards on the floor at the same time is common place . A wing? We are extremely lucky to pick up a quality player at this late date.

The game today three even four guards on the floor at the same time is common place . A wing? We are extremely lucky to pick up a quality player at this late date.
Don’t disagree. Better than giving it to a walkon. Who will match up with the big wings we will face? One of our seven or eight 6’2” guys?

Really nice surprising late add - This is a competitive group that Ben put together

Nice. Score one for Ben.

Condolences to Eric Reader on the loss of scholarship.
I would be willing to bet that Reader will get his one-year scholarship (same as previous scholarships to walk-ons, Jackson Purcell and Will Ramberg) within the next two years.

Last edited:

Well, this finally gets me out of the doldrums and looking forward to seeing them play next season.
This actually makes me interested again too. I didn't think we'd sign a guy who averaged 14 points (plus great defense). I assumed Patterson was all we'd get (plus a rebounder like Mitchell)...and that we lost too much.

But maybe these type of seniors are more affordable for some reason.

Top Bottom