Todd Geerlings and the rest of Ziggy Wilf's officiating crew

6 Nov 1999

Reaction score
Were we jobbed by Todd Geerlings and the officiating crew? I keep rewatching highlights on the Big Ten Network and I see 14 points worth of calls which were decisive in stopping us in our tracks. (1) Kim Royston is called for pass interference after making an interception. I don't profess to know the rule book as others do, but it sure seemed to me that Royston was in position to make a play on the ball, and the New Mexico State receiver actually collided into Royston as Royston was making the interception. End result, NMSU gets the ball and scores a TD. (2) Marqueis Gray breaks the plane of the end zone with the ball and even though his body is in mid air outside the field of play, the ball still breaks the plane of the pylon. The TD is called back, and the result is no points. I later watch highlights of the Fresno State at Nebraska game. A Bulldog pulls the same maneuver at the endzone pylon, but in this game he is given the TD! If just one of these calls had gone our way, the game is tied. If both calls go our way, we win the game. This must be the same crew that officiated the Minnnesota - Texas Tech bowl game after which Maturi fired Glen. I can tell our football players have a lot of respect, appreciation, and love for Coach Kill. Did you see Brandon Kirksey's face when Coach was on the ground? Brought tears to my eyes! What is with Verizon FIOS clipping both the top and the bottom of the conventional Big Ten Network channel screen for non-HD? I am watching the game with 35 percent of my screen real estate black. Is this a scam to get people to pay extra for the BTN HD feed? Whose idea is this? Is it Verizon or is it the BTN? Any non Verizon customers experiencing the same bu11$hit? My final gripe for today. Who is paying the BTN to make sure the television audience never hears the Minnesota Rouser played by the band. Every time our band played the rouser, BTN was filtering out all sound over 1,000 Hz. Why does this never happen to "The Victors" or "Buckeye Battle Cry" or "Across the Field" or "On Wisconsin?" More bu11$hit! We have one of the finest and most recognizeable college fight songs and BTN does everything within their power to ensure nobody ever hears it. What is Joel Maturi doing about this besides, "I will have somebody look into this." or "It is the responsibility of the Music Department."?:mad:

What does this have to do with Zigi Wilf(I assume that's what you meant)?

As much as I would like to drink the kool aid and agree I do not think either was a bad call. It was pass interference and Gray's ball did not break the plane when his foot was out. Not calling a touchdown on the 4th and 1 and the no call on pass interference for the Gophers on the other end is a different matter. Having said that, a team should never allow a few blown calls determine any outcome.

As much as I would like to drink the kool aid and agree I do not think either was a bad call. It was pass interference and Gray's ball did not break the plane when his foot was out. Not calling a touchdown on the 4th and 1 and the no call on pass interference for the Gophers on the other end is a different matter. Having said that, a team should never allow a few blown calls determine any outcome.

Unless the rules have changed, I'm pretty sure it's not pass interference if the defensive guy is going for the ball. And it looked like Royston was doing that on the play.

Unless the rules have changed, I'm pretty sure it's not pass interference if the defensive guy is going for the ball. And it looked like Royston was doing that on the play.

Established position, made a break back at the QB for the ball. No PI. Bad call. Not the reason we lost the game.

1) For sure it was NOT pass interference. Game-changing bad call. Royston played it perfectly. He jumped the route, beat the WR to the spot, made the catch despite a collision.

2) For sure it was NOT a TD by Gray. His foot was out of bounds before he hit the pylon. However, they spotted it at the 1-yard line. It clearly should have been at the half-yard line. Seeing how the next play ended up (Edwards missing a TD by 3 inches), that half-a-yard mistake was costly.

As others have said, not PI, not a TD. The call that annoyed the crap out of me (and that had a much more immediate impact on the game because it was on the Gophers final drive) was when the side judge kept the clock running even though the MN receiver was knocked out of bounds. Those were precious seconds that ticked away.

I've seen less contact called and more let go, so the PI call is up in the air for me. I thought Royston made a nice play on the ball myself and I hoped for some home-cooking. No such luck.

If forward progress is stopped in bounds and the player goes out of bounds backwards the clock should not stop. At live glance the official got it right.

I think the PI was a tough judgement call, but if you are the backjudge, your view is of Royston making contact and his right shoulder being side by side to to back shoulder of the WR. If that call isn't make NMSU has the same gripe. That was a 100% judgement call.

I think McKnight got a PI call in his favor later in the endzone that should have been a no call like the USC last play.

Gray was out of bounds and that was a simple review.

The PI call on Royston was terrible, he has as much right to the ball as the offensive guy. It's kind of an interpretation rule, but yeah, should not have been called. The Gray call was correct, his foot slid out of bounds before he touched the pylon.

If forward progress is stopped in bounds and the player goes out of bounds backwards the clock should not stop. At live glance the official got it right.
Is getting knocked straight sideways (at least that's how I recall it) really stopping forward progress?

As others have said, not PI, not a TD. The call that annoyed the crap out of me (and that had a much more immediate impact on the game because it was on the Gophers final drive) was when the side judge kept the clock running even though the MN receiver was knocked out of bounds. Those were precious seconds that ticked away.

Clock only stops under 2 minutes for out of bounds.

The Gophers receiver play happened with less than 2 minutes left....I think you're confusing this with the one where the NMSU RB ran out of bounds on 2nd down and the Gophers had to burn a time out even though he ran out of bounds....

As others have said, but I'll toss it in for more evidence to the case before the judge....

1: Bad call on the Royston PI....he made a break on the ball and was going for it. Didn't go through him. Terrible call from a Side Judge that was 30 yards away.

2: Gray was NOT in the end zone....his foot slipped out. Perhaps another half yard should have been given, but no TD was the correct call.

Others:
-I thought the PI on the NMSU guy on McKnight was a bad call.
-There should have been at least an illegal contact or defensive holding, if not a PI on NMSU when they grabbed McKnight in the 4th quarter....other than that, I didn't see anything that jumped out at me as being awful officiating.

No, the clock stops on all out of bounds plays. It stays stopped until the next snap under 2 minutes in each half. If the player is knocked straight sideways out of bounds the clock should have stopped. If there was more than 2 minutes it would have started when the ball was spotted or if under 2 minutes when the Gophers next snapped the ball.

Crying about officials causing you to lose at home to New Mexico State University is pathetic. Period. Implying some sort of plot between the BTN and the Vikings to 'keep the Gophers down' is just sad.

The PI call was bad. He was making a break for the ball and didn't touch the reciever with his hands if I recall. You can use your shoulders. Chris Cook had a similar situation by breaking for the ball and hit the recieve with his shoulder and it wasn't a PI. It was a fantastic play as well as Kim's play was. That being said there is no point in dwelling on it. Its not like we can go back and make the ref change the call. All they can do is prepare for the next game now. It sucks, but we're still 0-2. At least Jerry Kill didnt bring us Rose Bowl grass :p

Crying about officials causing you to lose at home to New Mexico State University is pathetic. Period. Implying some sort of plot between the BTN and the Vikings to 'keep the Gophers down' is just sad.

True, we should have won by at least two touchdowns regardless, but if we had gotten some of those questionable calls our way, and barely won the game, it would have been much less of a disaster than having barely lost. Notice how people view the loss to South Dakota as much worse than our ugly win over South Dakota State. If we had barely beaten NMSU, it was an ugly win, but it was a win, we put it behind us, and try to play much better next week, instead of questioning whether this program will ever be successful again, and if we're doomed to be bad to mediocre with the very occasional good season.

And yes, South Dakota and South Dakota State are two separate teams that Minnesota played in two separate games, and are not interchangable names for the same school, for everyone who keeps talking about our terrible loss to South Dakota State last season that never happened.

True, we should have won by at least two touchdowns regardless, but if we had gotten some of those questionable calls our way, and barely won the game, it would have been much less of a disaster than having barely lost. Notice how people view the loss to South Dakota as much worse than our ugly win over South Dakota State. If we had barely beaten NMSU, it was an ugly win, but it was a win, we put it behind us, and try to play much better next week, instead of questioning whether this program will ever be successful again, and if we're doomed to be bad to mediocre with the very occasional good season.

And yes, South Dakota and South Dakota State are two separate teams that Minnesota played in two separate games, and are not interchangable names for the same school, for everyone who keeps talking about our terrible loss to South Dakota State last season that never happened.

Personally, I found the win over SDSU more distressing than the loss to USD. The win over SDSU was the final nail in my hope for Brewster. The USD loss was just dirt on the grave. I don't dispute that a narrow victory would have been preferable, but frankly the calls that were missed were hardly blatant. Do I think they should have reviewed the 4th down at the goal-line? Yes. Would they have over-turned it? Probably not.

I still don't see any reason to mention Zigi Wilf in the title of this...

Personally, I found the win over SDSU more distressing than the loss to USD. The win over SDSU was the final nail in my hope for Brewster. The USD loss was just dirt on the grave. I don't dispute that a narrow victory would have been preferable, but frankly the calls that were missed were hardly blatant. Do I think they should have reviewed the 4th down at the goal-line? Yes. Would they have over-turned it? Probably not.

Having replayed it at home many times I'd have to say definitely not. There was just no way to tell anything in the pile.

I still don't see any reason to mention Zigi Wilf in the title of this...
Vikings are the cause of all the Gophers ills and Ziggy leads the cabal that enforces this rule of Minnesota sports. Or something.

If that is the reason that is really stupid.

Top Bottom