Today was the 1st day where we really played young, we looked like a young team...

GopherLady

Reaction score
out there.

Just a few of Pitino's comments after the loss at Michigan State from his ESPN 1500 interview with Mike Grimm and Spencer Tollackson:

• Clearly not our best game, we couldn’t hit a shot. They played some good defense, we couldn’t find a way to get an easy basket.
• It's the Big 10, there's no easy day. I said from day 1, it's a marathon, not a sprint. When we were ranked, I said it was nice, but it's not really what we want, we've got a game ahead of us.
• Today was the 1st day where we really played young, we looked like a young team out there.
• On MSU - I think they were a little bit better tonight. We just played frustrated, and we hadn't done that yet. We lost our confidence midway through the 1st half there.
• On Reggie - Ward gets you in foul trouble, I need to look at the film and see which were fouls or not. If it's a technical thing, we'll work on it.
• He didn't play great today, need to get his confidence back, when he's rolling, he's a major part of our offense. We weren't very sharp, but gotta give MSU credit.

I'll take it as an off night.....Penn State Saturday

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I'll take it as an off night.....Penn State Saturday

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Exactly. We lost to a good team at probably the toughest place to play in the Big 10. Don't get me wrong, we should have played better and it should have been closer, but it's all about how we respond.

Was Pitino antsy cause his seat is hot?!?!?

As he's sitting at 15-3...

On Reggie - Ward gets you in foul trouble, I need to look at the film and see which were fouls or not. If it's a technical thing, we'll work on it.

This is something that is frustrating watching Ward. He is such an actor, and for a freshman, he gets the calls too.

Now, I am not saying that Lynch is foul free but if you don't agree with me, I think you should take a peek back at his fouls tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is something that is frustrating watching Ward. He is such an actor, and for a freshman, he gets the calls too.

Now, I am not saying that Lynch is foul free but if you don't agree with me, I think you should take a peek back at his fouls tonight.

He absolutely has problems fouling too much, but this one, in particular, was not a foul...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can't remember who said it and in what thread, but they posted that it might be good for the Gophers to get slapped one of these times. They didn't play great against OSU, and they gave up sizable leads against them and Northwestern. This team still isn't bloodthirsty and hungry enough. That reflects their youth, certainly. I could end up being wrong, but I see them coming out much hungrier and more focused against PSU. They responded well after the Spartans beat them last time...

This tweet is a perfect summation of what happened last night

Couch also tweeted this

How to get defensive calls.

We have been decent over the years taking charges in the open court.

We haven't figured out what post players do. On Defense against us teams its push, push, be physical, for two seconds then stand back and our arm or shoulder displaces the guy and we get called. It's knowing when you can be physical usually before the ball arrives and when to go finesse.

Can't remember who said it and in what thread, but they posted that it might be good for the Gophers to get slapped one of these times. They didn't play great against OSU, and they gave up sizable leads against them and Northwestern. This team still isn't bloodthirsty and hungry enough. That reflects their youth, certainly. I could end up being wrong, but I see them coming out much hungrier and more focused against PSU. They responded well after the Spartans beat them last time...

I said something along those lines in another thread, although I framed it with close hard fought loses being a good thing. Not sure that applies to getting destroyed like they did against MSU. On the same token the one thing a blowout like that can do is refocus the players so that they don't start thinking it is going to be easy in the Big Ten. Any time the players start to get full of themselves the coaches can just point back to this game as an example of what they are up against.

In the end it is all about how they respond. If they come out pissed against Penn State and get back in the Win column all is good. If they come out and get blown out again it might be time to worry a little that the loses might start to pile up. Hopefully they will bounce back well against PSU.

He absolutely has problems fouling too much, but this one, in particular, was not a foul...

Missed that play during the game but wow that was a bad call. Ref definitely responded to the MSU players head going backwards (for no apparent reason). Of course later in the game Curry takes a shot to the mouth and he gets called for a foul (in no way trying to pin the loss on the refs).

I knew this game was trouble the minute MSU lost to Penn State. Unfortunately we got MSU coming off bad losses twice and this time MSU was getting close to "must win" territory for their NCAA tourney hopes. I am disappointed by the play of the Gophers and the officiating...not a single trip to the line i the first half? That said, it's one game and I am not concerned over the first road conference loss of the season. I do think this team badly needs to find a way to get back to being at the foul line a lot...they struggle in the half court offensively and getting to the line a lot can alleviate some of the issues with poor FG shooting.

I had the misfortune of having to listen to some of the game via ESPN 1500 last night and I was reminded of just how bad Grimm/Tollackson are. Near the end of the game Grimm was talking about how the Gophers were fortunate to play the Spartans now as opposed to the end of the season because they appear like they are going to take off. Hey Mike, we were 0-2 against Sparty this year...you can't do worse than that in the regular season.

I had the misfortune of having to listen to some of the game via ESPN 1500 last night and I was reminded of just how bad Grimm/Tollackson are. Near the end of the game Grimm was talking about how the Gophers were fortunate to play the Spartans now as opposed to the end of the season because they appear like they are going to take off. Hey Mike, we were 0-2 against Sparty this year...you can't do worse than that in the regular season.

Ha!! That's classic.

Go Gophers!!

Maybe it was the 'Silver Lining' moment. I hate that promo.

Top Bottom