Today & Coach Brew

lakesgopher

Reaction score
Every year this Coach and Program has gotten better as well as more talented and deeper at almost every position. When we hired Brewster I truly believed he needed 5-6 years to establish his players, his program. I think Minnesota was more of a project compared to when Billiema(killed his duesch bag name) took over at Wisconsin or Rich Rod at Mich. The reason for this opinion is Minny's cupboards were completely bare except Decker. Mich and Wisc had established talent left over during the coaching changes. I would say that if Minny was mich or wisc we could be talking about Brew as a failed hire, but I'm sticking with him We have gotten better each year and soon it will be all Brew's players. We hit rock bottom and if any of you thought we were winning the Big Ten in a little over 2 years, well, your dumb. When Brew said he wants to get our program back to the top and make rose bowls, I don't think he said he would do this by 2009, get over the anger of losing this game, we will lose more I promise you.
negatives:
3rd down defense is horrible, running game doesn't exist, weber's been very inconsistant, o-line has been the worst part of our team, d-line has been ok at best, secondary can't stop anyone, have yet to play a great 4 quarter game

positives:
decker & tow arnett, linebackers, d line when its time to close out a game, play calling keeps getting better, half time adjustments with the exception of how we were worse defending the run today in the second half, special teams are amazing, recruiting, depth at overall positions

I could find a million reasons for the positive and the negative on this program, but in the end as a team we keep getting better every year and even with this loss today we appear to be heading in the right direction. I think those that are so negative about Brew hate the idea of hope and enjoyed playing toledo and the music city bowl! Myself, I love playing teams like California,USC, & Texas.

Go Gophers

love the post lakes! brewster needs more time. we can all see the improvements across the board except in wins and with his passion i see us getting there but we need to be patient. when we hired him we knew he had to get his own players in here and that he had no prior experience. we are getting there but we need to have more patience. if we are still the same program after him being here for 5 years than i can understand but for now we need to support the program

Brewster is doing his job well and still trying to figure out who he is as a coach and he brings a level of expectation and excitement we haven't seen in a looooooong time.........

How can you say the cupboards were bare when he's using Mason's recruit over his own at the most important position -- even though his recruit was a 4*, and Mason's can't seem to throw the ball on target (don't give me "OL sucks" reply to the throws Weber makes to shoelaces)?

Every year this Coach and Program has gotten better as well as more talented and deeper at almost every position. When we hired Brewster I truly believed he needed 5-6 years to establish his players, his program. I think Minnesota was more of a project compared to when Billiema(killed his duesch bag name) took over at Wisconsin or Rich Rod at Mich. The reason for this opinion is Minny's cupboards were completely bare except Decker. Mich and Wisc had established talent left over during the coaching changes. I would say that if Minny was mich or wisc we could be talking about Brew as a failed hire, but I'm sticking with him We have gotten better each year and soon it will be all Brew's players. We hit rock bottom and if any of you thought we were winning the Big Ten in a little over 2 years, well, your dumb. When Brew said he wants to get our program back to the top and make rose bowls, I don't think he said he would do this by 2009, get over the anger of losing this game, we will lose more I promise you.
negatives:
3rd down defense is horrible, running game doesn't exist, weber's been very inconsistant, o-line has been the worst part of our team, d-line has been ok at best, secondary can't stop anyone, have yet to play a great 4 quarter game

positives:
decker & tow arnett, linebackers, d line when its time to close out a game, play calling keeps getting better, half time adjustments with the exception of how we were worse defending the run today in the second half, special teams are amazing, recruiting, depth at overall positions

I could find a million reasons for the positive and the negative on this program, but in the end as a team we keep getting better every year and even with this loss today we appear to be heading in the right direction. I think those that are so negative about Brew hate the idea of hope and enjoyed playing toledo and the music city bowl! Myself, I love playing teams like California,USC, & Texas.

Go Gophers

Haha, that part is definently my favorite.

I agree wholeheartedly with most of your post.

People have a right to be bitter, but I do think Brewster gets an unfair shake because of all the history prior to his arrival. The anger and vitriol towards him I think is very unjustified. This is a process and I also, for the life of me, cannot figure out why people expected Brewster to take this program to levels it hasn't been since 1967 in the span of three years. You aren't just going to recruit a couple years and then two years later be a Big Ten title contender without catching a whole lot of breaks, which we all know Minnesota won't catch. Look at Miami, they were at the top of the top, and in a short time were struggling, and it took 4 years of excellent recruiting to get back to the level they were accustomed to. These things don't happen overnight. Forget the bravado he came in with, he was a fresh face, wanted to make his impact. It worked with recruits, that's really all that matters. He started low, yes, but he's gotten better every step of the way. The cupboard wasn't completely bare, but it was about as close to it as it could be despite Decker and a couple other impact guys (who, by the way, have developed quite nicely under Brewster's program even if they were Mason's recruits), and it wasn't an easy job he was stepping into. He's had some hiccups, but overall, the program is much healthier than it was two years ago, whether people want to admit it or not. And that's really all you can judge him on. You can't hold the last 40 years against him, but I think that's what a lot of people are doing.

This is not to say he doesn't need to step his game up, but Brewster at the very least, has this program on the upswing with the talent he is bringing in, so for that, I'm willing to give him time to see that talent mature before I call for his head.

well put Monty,makes sense to me. But I liked Mason also.an football players and coaches who play with everything they have in them to the final whiste.

monty - good point on how the players have developed under brewster. i think that is something that we forget

How can you say the cupboards were bare when he's using Mason's recruit over his own at the most important position -- even though his recruit was a 4*, and Mason's can't seem to throw the ball on target (don't give me "OL sucks" reply to the throws Weber makes to shoelaces)?

I highly doubt any coach at the division 1 level gives a crap about playing kids cause they fear for their feelings, that being said, gray must be having some issues that concern the staff...i think its obvious they fear him throwing the ball! I to would love to see what gray can do, but I'm not going to say I know more about our personnel then brew! but I might also think brew thinks this current team can only go so far, and he is trying to gel a young group of recievers with a young qb for a giant leap in the future of our program and the big ten. let's get our big time runningback, develop these oline recruits, and see where we are at in a year or 2! we don't have free agency, we aren't usc, the planning and development is such a difficult process that its hard for me to criticize as of now. if we are in this same boat 2 years from now losing to wisc and iowa then I to will be on the brew crews exit strategy!

I don't think anybody expected Rose Bowl in 2009. However, I think most fans would be content to have a rivalry trophy in the case at least for some portion of the last 3 years.

Hard to say that the team has shown improvement. The OOC schedule seemed ostensibly better. However, the Syracuse win is appearing more and more MAC like, and the loss to Cal is looking less and less impressive. Brewster took a bowl team to a one win season (Granted, perhaps he didn't have the "spread" personal). OK, so last season was an improvement over the 1-win season, but it was otherwise Mason like with wins against cream puffs, and choking and downright whippings in rivalry games. Rather than sticking with his "spread" identity, Brew switches to the Decker and not much else offensive identity. So does he now get a new 5-6 years?

I'm willing to give him to the end of the year, but I think Maturi needs be ready to give Brewster the hook if there isn't any tangible improvement. This is shaping up to be a considerably bad Big 10, and with with an allegedly improving team, a record similar to last year should be considered a step back. With the status of the conference, a .500 Big 10 record would not be unreasonable, especially considering the academic integrity the school has sacrificed to get Brew's recruits in, and this team could at least be considered mediocre. Unfortunately for Brewster, there are no gimmies on the B10 schedule considering the team's play to date, (including in victory). If this team is not at least .500 in the Big 10, Maturi needs to admit that taking a flier on a guy with nothing more than position coaching positions on his resume was a mistake and count his losses.

Brew thinks Weber is the greatest. So Brew is an idiot

I love how minnesota's schedule was ranked nationally for its strength and now mason supporters tear it down as if it was a soft schedule! cal was a top 10 team when they came in and beat Minny, if we win that game and cal loses t oregon and usc they way they did does that mean we didn't defeat a top 10 team? air force is known for being a tough team on anyones schedule, and syracuse is better than the majority of mac schools. you can't praise a schedule and then destroy the schedule depending on how they perform during the season. this is why pre season rankings suck. we are 3-2, let this play out and let's see where we are...the season isn't over! until we have free agency and can buy the best players we have to have some sort of patience! and 2 years isn't enough time. let's bring masonback so we can win all those rivalry trophy's back! what a joke!

sorry but he is in his third year. give the guy time to get all of his guys in the program. he needs time to build something here and 2 1/2 years is not enough time to put your stamp on a program. like my buddy said tonight........brew can recruit, is a hell of a motivator, is building excitment throughout the state and is showing progress why are we calling for his head

I love how minnesota's schedule was ranked nationally for its strength and now mason supporters tear it down as if it was a soft schedule! cal was a top 10 team when they came in and beat Minny, if we win that game and cal loses t oregon and usc they way they did does that mean we didn't defeat a top 10 team? air force is known for being a tough team on anyones schedule, and syracuse is better than the majority of mac schools. you can't praise a schedule and then destroy the schedule depending on how they perform during the season. this is why pre season rankings suck. we are 3-2, let this play out and let's see where we are...the season isn't over! until we have free agency and can buy the best players we have to have some sort of patience! and 2 years isn't enough time. let's bring masonback so we can win all those rivalry trophy's back! what a joke!

Mason haters always take credit away from beating #11 Purdue in 2005 because they didn't finish the season ranked. Does that mean we didn't beat a #11 Team?

Who's a Mason supporter?

Should there not be improvement in this third season and at least an identity that appears?

Brewster has recruited well. He hasn't yet shown that he can coach the recruits. And although he'd created some excitement for Gopher football, the stadium itself is what is really generating hpye. Even here, Brewster is loosing more and more of most diehard fans. If he looses them, he's lost the casual fans. He needs to show improvement this year lest next fall, TCF has 10,000 Iowiegans inhabiting it.

Sir, "toughest" schedule rankings are done in the preseason....before the teams play. Cal was a top 10 team because the "experts" thought they were a top 10 team. They're not a top 25 team in reality. Because the "experts" had Penn State as a top 10 team in the preseason, they get dominated by Iowa and are still ranked ahead of Iowa.

In two plus seasons, Brewster's signature win is over a 5-win Illinois team in 2008.

By comparison, Steve Sarkasian's signature win in his first five career games as a head coach after taking over an 0-12 team is over USC.

The upgrade in talent from year one to year three is undeniable.

What's troubling is that the whole is less than the sum of the parts on the field

Ok, so let's fire Brewster at the end of the season and bring in a whole new coaching staff yet again. Yet another new offensive and defensive coordinator. How the hell is that going to help this program? Lakes is right -- any new coach coming into a situation like this deserves a full five years to prove himself. Next year will be the first year that nearly everyone starting on defense will be a Brewster recruit. Two years from now I think we will know if we are headed in the right direction.

Top Bottom