To those who think the sky is falling:

hyaluronic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I agree with many of the shortcomings that others have posted, however, consider the following:

Based on how we have played, and how NDSU has played this year, we knew this game would not be a cakewalk.

The difference in the game was two INTs returned for TDs at the end of each half. The end of the first half TD changed the makeup of the game entirely. Our defense played well in the second half. Our offense was effective enough to win.

There are plenty of things to bemoan about the game, but I do not think it is as dire as some are portraying the loss to be. That said - it will definitely be a long season. I think we'll win one or two in conference play, and three wins would be a huge success, sadly enough.

I'm pretty pissed that we didn't get blown out @ USC. At least my expectations wouldn't have risen for the rest of this season.

I agree with many of the shortcomings that others have posted, however, consider the following:

Based on how we have played, and how NDSU has played this year, we knew this game would not be a cakewalk.

The difference in the game was two INTs returned for TDs at the end of each half. The end of the first half TD changed the makeup of the game entirely. Our defense played well in the second half. Our offense was effective enough to win.

There are plenty of things to bemoan about the game, but I do not think it is as dire as some are portraying the loss to be. That said - it will definitely be a long season. I think we'll win one or two in conference play, and three wins would be a huge success, sadly enough.

It is looking that way.

Jimminy crickets! Just seconds left before half-time, Q what where you thinking? And Shorty, calm down and don't try to do it all in one play! Those two plays for INT TDs killed us! That was the game there. It is not for the lack of being able to move the ball into the Red Zone. These should have turned into at least a field goal for us.

I don't know if it is lack of poise & polish on Q's part and trying too hard on Shorty's coupled with the lack of O-line protection, the qbs in a panic state certainly don't help the karma of the team last night.

On defense - it is like a beauty contest with ugly contestants.
How can you tell the winner in a few words that you are the least ugliest? Can't croon you are so beautiful tonight.

Too many broken pieces of china in the cupboard that Killer's got to replace.

Reality

The sky is not falling instead there is too much false hope about this program. FORMO is spot on in that the second half of the USC game spawned too much hope.

This program is not very good and all you have to do to figure this out is read some of the experts (outside of Gopher Hole) opinions. Teams win with good coaching and talent and with the exception of one of Brewster's classes, every class ranked in the bottom of the Big Ten. This team's talent will take time and significant coaching to reach a standard where you can expect them to beat every FCS team they play.

The defense is a mess. The line play and the secondary is terrible and until players improve in these two key areas, this team will look bad. Offense is going to get better and is not the problem. A new quarterback takes time to develop and Gray will improve but it will require patience from the coaching staff but pressure from the fan base may preclude any patience. A new coordinator every year does nothing to build any consistency.

The coaching staff is new to the team and vice versa so patience is required from the fan base. Kill has a proven record of turning programs around and the Gophers are no exception to this rule.

Reality Sucks!!!

I'm pretty pissed that we didn't get blown out @ USC. At least my expectations wouldn't have risen for the rest of this season.

USC showed who they are last night. Starting next week the Gophers will be treated like NDSU by every opponent. We'll see how they respond to that roll.

IMO, USC isn't BCS bound this year. Obviously, they are better than the Gophers but they are mediocre in my book.

IMO, USC isn't BCS bound this year. Obviously, they are better than the Gophers but they are mediocre in my book.

USC could have gone 12-0 and not been BCS bound this or next year.

...and how NDSU has played this year

NDSU has played well, to be sure. But they hadn't played world beaters at the FCS level either...both teams they rolled over (actually all three now, counting Minnesota) are 1-3 on the season.

Agreed, that skewed expectations for myself as well. Coming off that I thought hey, we can surprise some people. It's just a little rough back sliding to thinking about this season not in wins and losses, but like it's one long spring practice for 2012. Every single play and every single day the players need to improve. Keep focus and keep their drive.

Go Gophers, Beat Michigan.

Win the Jug, and I'll forget about NMSU. Don't lose Floyd, and I'll forget about NDSU. Win the Axe, and I'll forget about the Brewster years entirely.

Top Bottom