To recap, the following 7 Gophers have put their name in the Transfer Portal

Freeman isn't returning, and Pohto will not play here either.

One name to watch at center- Joey Brunk, transferring from Indiana. Would be a quality starting center for us if his injury issues are resolved.

We definitely need a starting PG and C yet from the portal. Assuming that happens, and maybe land one more quality transfer (Fox??), I think we'd actually have a chance to be competitive next season.

Might be some options after the draft process plays out too. The portal isn't going to shrink a ton yet.

Imaginary roster I could get pretty excited about considering the names that are out there:

PG -1
Mason Faulkner ? (Western Carolina) Grad transfer - really good player
Cashius McNeily? - A&M Frosh- son of possible assistant

SG 2/3
Loewe
Stephens
Gach
Sutherlin

3/4
Battle
Ihnen

4/5
Johnson Another year?
Pohto Sticks with his commitment?
Freeman Returns?
Thompson
Rebraka ND transfer?

With a great coaching job- perhaps even .500 in the B1G??? Can a person dream a little?

Cashius is Jamie's nephew not his kid.

Imaginary roster I could get pretty excited about considering the names that are out there:

PG -1

SG 2/3
Loewe
Stephens
Gach
Sutherlin

3/4
Battle
Ihnen

4/5
Johnson Another year?
Freeman Returns?
Thompson
Rebraka ND transfer?

With a great coaching job- perhaps even .500 in the B1G??? Can a person dream a little?
If Faulker and McNeily come, I start to get a few stirrings of excitement. If we get pre-injury and pre-beaten-down-by-Pitino Gach on the floor, as well as an experienced center to at least defend the rim and rebound, that looks like a pretty experienced roster filled with guys who have already done well at the collegiate level. And it also leaves lots of open scholarships next year to recruit 2022 high schoolers.

Maybe I've had too many Diet Cokes today.

If Faulker and McNeily come, I start to get a few stirrings of excitement. If we get pre-injury and pre-beaten-down-by-Pitino Gach on the floor, as well as an experienced center to at least defend the rim and rebound, that looks like a pretty experienced roster filled with guys who have already done well at the collegiate level. And it also leaves lots of open scholarships next year to recruit 2022 high schoolers.

Mmmmmm., diet coke

1618341070220.png

Faulkner would be awesome, but he's hearing from an impressive list of schools. Maybe the likely promise of a starting gig and huge minutes/role could persuade him...

Brunk and CBJ are now following each other on Twitter...

Freeman isn't returning, and Pohto will not play here either.

One name to watch at center- Joey Brunk, transferring from Indiana. Would be a quality starting center for us if his injury issues are resolved.

We definitely need a starting PG and C yet from the portal. Assuming that happens, and maybe land one more quality transfer (Fox??), I think we'd actually have a chance to be competitive next season.
You might have some inside info on Freeman and Pohto that I don't. As to Freeman, this year has been a little different as we have seen some kids settle back into their same school after entering the portal. So maybe it is possible. I like him because he is thick, appears coachable and could be good on defense. Pohto, I could see why he would back out...but with Robbins gone and if the coaches want him, there is a great opportunity here. Totally agree though- we need PGs and Cs.

PG -1

SG 2/3
Loewe
Stephens
Gach
Sutherlin

3/4
Battle
Ihnen

4/5
Johnson Another year?
Freeman Returns?
Thompson
Rebraka ND transfer?

Faulkner and Mcneily would be really solid gets.....im really hoping we are getting a Boom tweet after the zoom meeting with Faulkner tonight or tomorrow.

Might be some options after the draft process plays out too. The portal isn't going to shrink a ton yet.

Maybe not, but one is seeing more commitments than new transfers posted in the last few days.

At what point does the portal close?

I don't know that it has an official closing date. Transfers will still be getting selected well into the summer.

I just checked the portal on Verbal Commits. Quite a few dropped just within the last few hours. Up to 1356 now.

And if Pitino coaches and recruits the same way he did at Minnesota, he we achieve the overall same results that got him fired here.
He will need to have his teams defend better first and foremost. Offensively he’ll do well in the MWC I think. At least NM doesn’t have recruits to piss off lol

Would love Faulkner but hearing he likes Louisville, UK and a couple of nearby ACC schools.

What does UK need him for? They're getting Carr.
Probably point as they like Carr as a point 2. Who knows. Maybe LOUISVILLE. He is a Kentucky kid and many transfers are picking schools closer to home after a covid year of no college life.

That doesn't seem much worse, but it could be a lot worse. This year's team only lost 4 games at home. If there were fans, they would have enjoyed 13 wins, and only 4 losses in person, quite a few of those wins were against ranked opponents. That is an enjoyable night. That will not happen next year, I would say that it will feel much worse than 1 one spot drop in the standings.
You no nothing,every team in country is scrambling to field a team

Top Bottom