To our recruiting gurus re recent verbals...

Reaction score
How is this class shaping-up talent-wise relative to: (1) verbal commits during the Mason regime at this time of the season, and (2) Brew's verbal commits for his class last year? Thanks much.

How is this class shaping-up talent-wise relative to: (1) verbal commits during the Mason regime at this time of the season, and (2) Brew's verbal commits for his class last year? Thanks much.
I'm not sure if I'm a guru, but I was put in charge of the database so I guess that's something.

Obviously judging recruiting classes is a bit of a crapshoot, but I think the star rankings and the offer lists are about as good as you can get from a big-picture standpoint.

To be honest, this class has a lot more 2-star/1st offer type of guys than we had the last two years. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1) Less JC transfers, which is in the longterm a very good thing. JC guys tend to be ranked a little higher by Rivals because they have a track record. ESPN doesn't even rank them, which I prefer. Brewster had to bring in JC transfers in his first real class because he simply didn't have the guys to even field a competitive team. In the long run, its always ideal to bring in a guy you can redshirt and develop for a few years in your system and under your tutelage. So, from that perspective, it's a good thing. Sometimes JC's work, but sometimes you get a David Pittman with lots of promise and almost no results. They also run the risk of hurting your retention rate, since they are often on the fringes academically.

2) More scholarships. More scholarships = wider net. Wider net = more chances. Take the Wisconsin lineman. They didn't get a Wisconsin offer because Wisky has less scholarships to work with. That works to our advantage, but they may have been guys we woudln't have offered last year either.

3) Less playing time. Less "new coach smell." It's a basic fact of college recruiting that new regimes often see a spike in recruiting. In a sense, Brewster's success the last two years has hurt him a bit this year. It's just not as convincing that a guy could come in and start right away, which is a good thing in the long run, which leads me to point #4

4) Brewster did a really damn good job in 2007 and 2008. We really hit on most of the prospects we were after, which doesn't necessarily stand to reason considering of the disadvantages the program has to deal with.

I still think this will be a good class. Maybe right outside the top 30, but likely still within the top 40. Hopefully a few of the high-ceiling prospects (looking at you Ragoo) pan out.

As for the Mason question. The worst year of Brewster recruiting will still beat the best year Mason ever had. Hands down.

I didn't look to compare against the same time in the recruiting cylce but if it ended today we would be ahead of Mason's better classes and 2007 but behind the last two yeas. Kind of between the two right now. He'll need some big hits to reach the last two years.

This is based on my double secret system, but others may come to a different conclusion with a different system.

From a team ranking standpoint, we're looking good, but that's primarily due to the large class size. Now if we could just catch Iowa. One big recruit and we're there.

Can anyone comment on enrollment probability of this year's class v. prior Brewster classes?

his last two have been pretty good. The year before not so much.

To be honest, this class has a lot more 2-star/1st offer type of guys than we had the last two years.

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic, I think you know your recruiting stuff. But where are you seeing these 2 star recruits? According to rivals we have three two-star recruits and two un rateds.

I didn't follow the recruiting as closely before this year, did we have fewer two star recruits? That seems crazy to me.

Also don't you think the 1st offer guys speak to Brew's ability to identify who he wants and get them?

I'm really not trying to be antagonistic, I think you know your recruiting stuff. But where are you seeing these 2 star recruits? According to rivals we have three two-star recruits and two un rateds.

I didn't follow the recruiting as closely before this year, did we have fewer two star recruits? That seems crazy to me.

Also don't you think the 1st offer guys speak to Brew's ability to identify who he wants and get them?

2007 we had a bunch, but I'm not so sure that should have any meaning. 2008 we had 5, so similar to this year, but last year only two. It's still early to guess what this year will turn out like. I'm guessing our unranked kids will get ranked. And they may end up changing some rankings yet. Plus if we add in state kids they are most likely to be two star kids.

A lot of it will come down to how we fill out the class. There are only a few slots left. If we start missing some targets, Brew will have a choice, add risky higher ranked kids, some two star kids, JUCO's, or don't fill out the class. If he hits on his remaining targets the class could fill out quite nicely.

You can be antagonistic, I don't mind. I suppose as a % it's no more or less than years past, it just seems that way when combined with the limited # of 4 star guys.

As to your second point, I think it's a glass half full/empty. However, what I can say, is that we've been beaten a lot more for guys this year than in years past. If you just consider the head-to-head matchups with Iowa we've lost 5 guys. That's just to Iowa. If you look at the last two years we destroyed Iowa. Guys like Bryant Allen, Sam Maresh, Brandon Green, etc.

People often bring up Troy Stoudermire as an afterthought recruit. He had 4 BCS offers. Only three guys on a class full of 20 this year can say the same thing (one of which is Jabari Price).

A lot of the guys we've offered with numerous options have went elsewhere, last year a lot more of those guys chose us. I commend the staff for shaking that off and finding other guys, but it's not simply a matter of targeting the guys we want.

People don't need to freak out about that. I think this is still a pretty good class, but we need to start winning due to a lot of the variables I listed above (and probably others I didn't even think of).

Thanks gopher prof. Here is another question (I feel like I'm in class and keep raising my hand, no one likes that kid...).

Josh Allen, Evan Williams etc came out of nowhere and at least in the case of Josh Allen is fairly well rated (without any other offers, but that's another conversation). To my question, with the remaining schollies what do you think is the chance Brew gets some other kids we haven't really talked about on here? Obviously its hard to talk about an unknown, but he does seem to be able to pull gophers out of his hat.

Brewster always seems to 'pull a rabbit out of the hat' so to speak on signing day. I expect no less this year.

Keanon Cooper in his first class, Michael Carter in his second, should be fun to see if the trend continues.

Josh Allen, Evan Williams etc came out of nowhere and at least in the case of Josh Allen is fairly well rated (without any other offers, but that's another conversation). To my question, with the remaining schollies what do you think is the chance Brew gets some other kids we haven't really talked about on here? Obviously its hard to talk about an unknown, but he does seem to be able to pull gophers out of his hat.
If I knew the answer to that I'd probably be in a different profession.

The biggest shocker to me would be Seantrel staying. Second to that would probably be Richard Ash choosing us over USC and LSU.

Willie Tatum just got his 3rd star two days ago!!!

And Tauaefa finally got ranked by Rivals - at 5.6...

Our Rivals ranking should jump a bit with the addition of Hawkins and the ranking of Tauaefa.

Veazie remains unranked, though.

I've done some analysis in the past in terms of Rivals rankings; there is little doubt that this class, even if we don't get any other players, matches up quite well with Mason's best class of 2003. If we add some bigger name players, then it will be hard to argue that this class is not a top-3 recruiting class for Gopher football since, at least, Holtz (2008 and 2009 being the top 2).

Top Bottom