To Hell With An Identity - Just win

Iceland12

Reaction score
- Wacker had an identity throw, throw throw! He also lost a lot.
- Mason had an identity run, run, throw deep down the sidelines, run and if you fall behind you lose. He also tried to schedule four Non- Conference wins every year.
- Bud Grant Vikings have an indentity, they lost four Suoer Bowls. Those teams short passed, ran, threw deep, blitzed, used the Purple People eaters only - they were all over the place.
- The present Vikings identity? I've heard Defense, Peterson and Farve. More Farve admittedly.
- Belichek's Patriots have an identity- they win. Praise for them comes from all over the place. Most because they win, have Tom Brady and are heartless.
- Carroll's uSC teams also win all kinds of ways. No "identity" besides that, is universally agreed upon.
- Spurrier, the Florida Coach, threw, threw, threw. Then he went to South Carolina where he found out he couldn't recruit the same guys that he got at Florida. Now he coaches Defense. Much like Brewster found out he wasn't going to be able to recruit the number of guys who could make a dominant spread team up here.

I don't care about an identity and I doubt if USC, Patriot, Vikings or Gamecocks fans care either. . Did anyone even think about that before the last few years? Beyond broad themes i.e "cloud of dust"," basketball on grass", option - meaning schemes, doesn't winning or losing trump all that stuff?

Just give me some wins. If the Gophers can't run against bigger, more dominant teams I'd like to see them pass. When they can run, like they did against NW and Purdue I'd like to see them run.

If they must have n identity let it be like Carroll's or Mack Brown's teams. People expect them to win and they do.

An identity is does not guarantee success, however it implies a consistency of both scheme and execution that generally are conducive to success.

Consistency is good. However, winning is all that matters in the end. Brewster was hired partly to improve relations with the local media. Look where that's got him so far. He has tried making nice and he's tried a mild snub or two. All they care about is that you put W's on the board. Mason got no credit for running the football with the best teams in the country. Not winning the big games and an abrasive personality made him an easy target for all the usual tools among our local media. Brewster needs to win any way he can and that will not only shut those idiots up but they may actually give us some good press to sell this program. Until that happens we'll be our usual 50000 fan base when we all would like something much more.

The point though is that consistency begets winning.

You are correct. Mason's running game, call it consistency or identity, was enough to get us to a certain level. Had he been able to recruit the players Brewster is bringing in, he might have been able to get over the hump.

Top Bottom