To control our own destiny

FreakyDeke

picked a dumb moniker
Reaction score
The outcome of 4 games in the next 2 weeks could make it possible for the Gophers to control their own destiny in the final 2 weeks.

1. Gophers beat PSU (obviously).
2. Michigan beats Nebraska.
3. Nebraska beats MSU.
4. Northwestern beats Michigan.

That is the wonderful thing about football. With a week between games we can occupy our brains with thoughts like this in the time between games. Sure, all that happening is unlikely but who knows? Maybe someday we will be reliving it like we still like to spin tales of the 99 victory over Penn State. "Remember back in '13 when the Gophers were just starting to climb out of the basement and they went into November needing 4 things to happen and ALL FOUR went their way? That is when I knew that season was going to be truly memorable."

That is the wonderful thing about football. With a week between games we can occupy our brains with thoughts like this in the time between games. Sure, all that happening is unlikely but who knows? Maybe someday we will be reliving it like we still like to spin tales of the 99 victory over Penn State. "Remember back in '13 when the Gophers were just starting to climb out of the basement and they went into November needing 4 things to happen and ALL FOUR went their way? That is when I knew that season was going to be truly memorable."

We only need three things to happen. We control the fourth, its going to be us happening to someone else.

Game of inches

It's amazing how often sports can be a game of inches.

Had Nebraska not converted their Hail Mary, it's very likely Michigan State would be playing to clinch the division at Nebraska with still 2 games left on their schedule. Now, no matter what happens between Nebraska-Michigan this weekend, the Legends is a dogfight if Nebraska beats Sparty on Nov. 16.

That's a big IF the way Sparty is playing, but it is noteworthy that MSU has never beaten Nebraska.

Here is how I see things shaking out. 8 Bowl teams.

1. Ohio State 8-0 (13-0)-BCS
2. Michigan St. 8-0 (11-2) *
3. Wisconsin 7-1 (10-2) *
4. Michigan 4-4 (8-4) *
5. Minnesota 4-4 (8-4) *
6. Nebraska 4-4 (7-5) *
7. Penn State 4-4 (7-5)
8. Iowa 3-5 (6-6) *
9. Indiana 3-5 (5-7)
10. Northwestern 2-6 (6-6) *
11. Illinois 1-7 (4-8)
12. Purdue 0-8 (1-11)

Interesting Maxy - in that scenario, I would bet we go to a crappy bowl as both Nebraska and Penn State jump over us to better bowl games. IIRC, a team with 1 fewer win can be selected higher.

SelectionSunday said:
It's amazing how often sports can be a game of inches.

Had Nebraska not converted their Hail Mary, it's very likely Michigan State would be playing to clinch the division at Nebraska with still 2 games left on their schedule. Now, no matter what happens between Nebraska-Michigan this weekend, the Legends is a dogfight if Nebraska beats Sparty on Nov. 16.

That's a big IF the way Sparty is playing, but it is noteworthy that MSU has never beaten Nebraska.

They can't clinch against Nebraska. They would still have to beat NW if we win out.

Interesting Maxy - in that scenario, I would bet we go to a crappy bowl as both Nebraska and Penn State jump over us to better bowl games. IIRC, a team with 1 fewer win can be selected higher.

With the exception of the Capital One and Outback Bowls (which pick after the Rose, and can choose any team except a team with 2+ losses more than another eligible team), the bowls are free to choose any eligible B1G team.

Technically, we could finish 10-2, get passed over for the Capital One and Outback Bowls by teams with 9-3 records, and have a bunch of 6-6 teams chosen ahead of us for other bowls.

4. Michigan 4-4 (8-4) *
5. Minnesota 4-4 (8-4) *
6. Nebraska 4-4 (7-5) *
7. Penn State 4-4 (7-5)
8. Iowa 3-5 (6-6) *
9. Indiana 3-5 (5-7)
11. Illinois 1-7 (4-8)
12. Purdue 0-8 (1-11)

You think Northwestern is going to win 2 of their last 3? They could easily be underdogs in all 3 of them, and could easily lose all 3. You could be right.

I also think Northwestern fares better in their last 4 games than 1-3. Sure, it's unlikely but they could conceivably win all 4 remaining. Anything can happen though.

At this point, the only thing that matters, the ONLY thing, is beating Penn State on Saturday. A relatively strong showing against PSU and I might give them half a chance to beat Wisky with two weeks to prepare and get healthy.

4. Michigan 4-4 (8-4) *
5. Minnesota 4-4 (8-4) *
6. Nebraska 4-4 (7-5) *
7. Penn State 4-4 (7-5)
8. Iowa 3-5 (6-6) *
9. Indiana 3-5 (5-7)
11. Illinois 1-7 (4-8)
12. Purdue 0-8 (1-11)

Not so sure that Northwestern wins two games given that they have Michigan, Michigan State and Illnois on the schedule. Can see them beating Illinois but beating either of those other two the way they are playing right now may be difficult. That would leave 7 with Penn State being ineligible and given the travelling reputations of fan bases if there are no rules in place in terms of the respective records of the teams I could see us being at the bottom of that pecking order.

They can't clinch against Nebraska. They would still have to beat NW if we win out.

Yep. That's why I said "very likely" Sparty could clinch it instead of definite. The Gophers would be the one caveat if they beat Penn State and Wisconsin.

SelectionSunday said:
Yep. That's why I said "very likely" Sparty could clinch it instead of definite. The Gophers would be the one caveat if they beat Penn State and Wisconsin.

The Gophers would only have to beat Penn State for them not to be able to clinch against Nebraska because we don't play Wisc until the following week because of the bye. But I get what you're saying.

Currently, we need to win out and have Michigan, Michigan State and Nebraska each lose once outside that to win the division title. We really want to see Michigan beat Nebraska this week because, while we still need both to lose once, Michigan will probably lose to Ohio State to end the season, so it's more important to see Nebraska go down. Then we can root for them against Michigan State, because we need MSU to lose to either Nebraska or Northwestern before our season ending clash.

Of course, of all of the things I'm listing that need to happen, by far the least likely to ACTUALLY happen is for us to win out...

Mich doesn't need to lose to NW, they're going to get pumped by OSU in the last week of the season

With the exception of the Capital One and Outback Bowls (which pick after the Rose, and can choose any team except a team with 2+ losses more than another eligible team), the bowls are free to choose any eligible B1G team.

Technically, we could finish 10-2, get passed over for the Capital One and Outback Bowls by teams with 9-3 records, and have a bunch of 6-6 teams chosen ahead of us for other bowls.

For the same reasons "Game Day" is being discussed, the bowls will not pass over the Gophers and the Great Cinderella Story they are this year...

The Gophers would only have to beat Penn State for them not to be able to clinch against Nebraska because we don't play Wisc until the following week because of the bye. But I get what you're saying.

No, that's my mistake. I was thinking Gophers-Wisconsin Sparty-Nebraska were the same week. Forgot about Gophers bye week.

upnorthkid said:
Mich doesn't need to lose to NW, they're going to get pumped by OSU in the last week of the season

I know that, the point of the thread was a scenario where we control our own destiny with 2 weeks remaining. OSU beating Michigan is more likely than NW doing it, but that means needing to watch a scoreboard other than ours on the final weekend.

If PSU gets a better bowl game than us while being on probation, I am going to be seriously PISSED.

Top Bottom