to blitz or not to blitz

Smokin' Joe

Reaction score
Everyone believes if Pryor is under pressure he will turn it over. I would like to get pressure with our front four. I would also like to spend quality time with Erin Andrews. Neither one of those is going to happen.

So do you blitz Pryor and risk that he runs the ball? Or, do you just cover and risk that he can find the open man?

I think his feet are more dangerous than his arm. Play cover.

Thoughts?

All you need to do is become an employee for ESPN and follow Erin Andrews around the country with a portable drill and a minicam. Achieve the dream!

In all reality, we need to blitz. Even though it's Pryor, we cannot give him all day to find an open man, and it will happen. They can nickel and dime us all day with flag routes behind or in front of our linebackers. I'm thinking about the NU game in this regard.

Disclaimer: I know little to nothing about the intricacies of play calling on offense and defense outside of EA Sports football games, be gentle :D

Or

you could put an all out blitz on Erin Andrews.

Agreed. Let him beat us with his arm, not his legs.

If he escapes the blitz, and he will on occasion, then big runs will be the result.

I'd like good pressure from the front 4 alone, but I won't hold my breath on it against OSU's line.

In my opinion this is a 3 or 6 game. We either rush 3 and cover, or send 6 and force the quick decision. I feel like rushing 4 will get us killed, since we never get pressure. I'd rather see a 3 man line in passing situations with 2 LB's and 6 DB's.

In my opinion this is a 3 or 6 game. We either rush 3 and cover, or send 6 and force the quick decision. I feel like rushing 4 will get us killed, since we never get pressure. I'd rather see a 3 man line in passing situations with 2 LB's and 6 DB's.

Do we even have 6 DB's? Not tryna be a d!ck, just wondering out loud. I am actually kind of a fan of how we look in a 3-4 type scheme. It gets Cooper out on the field for one thing.

Well we can't get pressure on the QB when rushing 4 against Northwestern and Purdue so I don't see us getting much pressure rushing 4 against OSU...I like the 3-4 idea with having a guy like Cooper spying Pryor when he takes off.

When you're right, you're right and SOaB you you're always right

first things first. You must contain Pryor and force the Buckeyes to try to beat us passing. Once you've accomplished that you can mess with him a bit now and then to keep him from getting comfy. If you can force him to throw short and often, there's a strong chance he'll make a mistake or two along the way. I wouldn't blitz until it looks like they've gone away from the edges. Otherwise he'll zing off a few long runs with all your help in the backfield.

The key to stopping OSU is simple.
1. Stop the option. Force Pryor to pass.
2. After accomplishing 1, bring the heat. Get pressure if thats with your front 4 great if not bring blitz's from everywhere. If needed throw the kitchen sink at him. Try to confuse him. But while bring the heat you have to keep contain otherwise he can run for days.
3. Make him try to beat you with his arm. I don't think he can.

On a different note does anyone else think that Pryor would have been in much better shape going to Michigan?

On a different note does anyone else think that Pryor would have been in much better shape going to Michigan?

That seemed like a no brainer to me - that offense is perfect for him and he would have played immediately.

Just curious

Agreed. Let him beat us with his arm, not his legs.

If he escapes the blitz, and he will on occasion, then big runs will be the result.

I'd like good pressure from the front 4 alone, but I won't hold my breath on it against OSU's line.

Why does everyone think that OSU's OL is so great? From what I've heard and seen they are decent, but not necessarily all world.

1. Stop the option. Force Pryor to pass.
2. After accomplishing 1, bring the heat. Get pressure if thats with your front 4 great if not bring blitz's from everywhere. If needed throw the kitchen sink at him. Try to confuse him. But while bring the heat you have to keep contain otherwise he can run for days.
3. Make him try to beat you with his arm. I don't think he can.

I would like to add, get an early which helps with #1 part b. Force Pryor to pass.

Why does everyone think that OSU's OL is so great? From what I've heard and seen they are decent, but not necessarily all world.

The tOSU fan's have been pretty negative about their line this year. A lot of younger guys. But I think most people on here are more worried about our ability to get pressure on anyone, as we haven't done it very consistently this year.

The problem with blitzing is that ours are usually picked by the O. They don't work, at least not soon enough. Then we're really in deep doo doo.

The trick is to make Pryor think you're going to blitz on every play. If the defense gets predictable they'll pick it apart. Yeah, we should blitz some, but showing blitz and then dropping guys into coverage (which is something we don't seem to do much) can be just as effective. And as others have said, score early. That's how we won in the horseshoe in '00. Get a lead early, take the crowd out of the game, and force tOSU to be one dimensional. Easier said than done. But considering the surly mood on the buckeye boards, it won't take much to get the boobirds going.

The trick is to make Pryor think you're going to blitz on every play. If the defense gets predictable they'll pick it apart. Yeah, we should blitz some, but showing blitz and then dropping guys into coverage (which is something we don't seem to do much) can be just as effective. And as others have said, score early. That's how we won in the horseshoe in '00. Get a lead early, take the crowd out of the game, and force tOSU to be one dimensional. Easier said than done. But considering the surly mood on the buckeye boards, it won't take much to get the boobirds going.

:clap::clap:

This is a good call. However, the way to do this effectively is to blitz nearly every snap in the 1st Quarter. Ohio State will attempt to run the ball and play action pass early. That is what Tressel always does when he has a struggling QB. Minnesota needs to send as many people as possible and force a TO early. Once Mr Pryor enters full on headcase mode that will be when it's time to mix it up, sometimes showing blitz and dropping into coverage.

In any case. Kevin Cosgrove. TP is an erratic passer with no confidence. BLITZ THE FARM!

If the Gophers are going to blitz they're going to have to do a much better job of disguising it than they have so far. One of my main beefs with Cosgrove is how easy it is to tell where the pressure is designed to come from pre-snap. They need to show blitz more often and back off, don't give Pryor pre-snap clues to read the defense. Even a mediocre QB can tear you a part if he knows where blitzing defenders are coming from.

I loved the zone blitzing schemes we had for the Cal game with Triplett and Campbell rushing with a hand on the ground some and dropping some. With Cooper and Tinsley's improving play we could certainly use this a handful of times Saturday. It would transition into a spy scheme easily as well, the rub is that it leaves us open to power running, which I see them trying early and often to limit Pryor's mistakes. However if we can get them in third and long like we did @ PSU we might have better luck than against a competent passer like Clark.

Top Bottom