To Adam Weber: NFL Playbook Advice->Pumpfake

Schwab

Reaction score
The Weber to Decker formula for continued success ...

Consider adding the Pump Fake per the NFL's Roethlisberger...

"Already proficient at winning Super Bowls and guiding fourth-quarter comebacks, Roethlisberger is quickly adding another entry to his resume - master of deception.

In the time of shotguns and no-huddles, Roethlisberger is bringing back the lost art of the pump fake.

Prevalent three decade ago in the NFL, the notion of deceiving a defender by faking a pass then throwing it in another direction has become a favorite of Roethlisberger.

"I have been trying to use it more this year (just) to use it," Roethlisberger said. "In the past, sometimes I was really going to throw it, and then at the last minute, decide not to. It would look pretty realistic, if you ask me."

All you have to do is ask the Tennessee defenders how realistic Roethlisberger's pump fakes have become.

Last week, Roethlisberger attempted 43 passes in the Steelers' 13-10 overtime win over the Titans. He used the pump fake an inordinate 17 times, completing 12 of them for 195 yards and the team's only touchdown.

The other 26 attempts that a pump fake was not used, Roethlisberger threw for 168 yards, no touchdowns and was intercepted twice.

"Last week, I really tried to use it a lot, because when teams do zone drops, that is the best way to move guys," Roethlisberger said."

Glad you brought this up.

I have seen Weber do maybe 3 pump fakes all year and every time, he pump fakes with both hands. Are his hands to small to pump fake with one? Either way, he needs to start incorporating this into his gameplan.

Glad you brought this up.

I have seen Weber do maybe 3 pump fakes all year and every time, he pump fakes with both hands. Are his hands to small to pump fake with one? Either way, he needs to start incorporating this into his gameplan.

I've always been good with a double handed pump fake. It keeps the ball secure and set in the QB's hands. I understand that the good DB's read quarterback shoudlers. The angle will tell them why type of a throw is coming and they will know whether it is a deep ball or a short one. I haven't heard of any strategy to wait until the qb has one hand on the ball to break on the movement. Maybe someone has a different experience?

until the last game versus NU, I'm not sure that Adam had enough time to do a lot of "pump fakes." I never played QB but understood that the QB was only to use it when there was no chance of being tackled ... that it increased the likelihood of a fumble if there was contact while doing the fake. (Maybe that's the reason Weber uses the two hands as well.)

countdownclub.jpg

Nearly 99% of the time I have coached a pump fake was when the route called for a double move. Post/Corner or Stop/Go seem to come to mind for those. I'm not saying it is not possible in the college world to teach this, but in High School, I'm happy if the QB can make the correct read. If they are able to make the correct read, and pump fake to the off-target to help open up the main target, then I never was fortunate enough to coach that kind of talent.

Weber's pump fake against Cal the TD right before half was the main reason Decer was wide open on the play. Weber is still learning the position. I expect him to incorporate more deceptions like this as he gets more comfortable running his third offense in three years.

Weber's pump fake against Cal the TD right before half was the main reason Decer was wide open on the play. Weber is still learning the position. I expect him to incorporate more deceptions like this as he gets more comfortable running his third offense in three years.

That was a classic post / corner route you run since high school. The pump fake is part of the design of the play. I'm not sure if that play is in the MV offense, but it is a staple goal line play in every offense I played on, or coached.

Haha, definitely not in the MV offense. Mustangs are stuck in the 50's running the Wing T. Typically, our only passes are roll outs to the tight end.

Haha, definitely not in the MV offense. Mustangs are stuck in the 50's running the Wing T. Typically, our only passes are roll outs to the tight end.
Not the case when Weber was QB at MVHS. Lots of receptions by Maurice Turner who played WR and was Weber's "Decker" back then.

Top Bottom