TJ Gophers post read on Ruesse's KSTP program today

Missed-layup

Junior Member, a Senior Mind
Reaction score
I'm a Tubby supporter. That said, I think Patrick makes a couple of decent points. Tubby is not perfect. He has made some mistakes. No doubt communication breakdowns created some of this issue.

But, I also think Reusse took a couple of unnecessary cheap shots. How does he know Cobbs is Horizon League? That's just stupid to say and frankly irresponsible. He's an 18-year old and this old, crabby-ass writer is gonna rip him in the major newspaper in the market? Low blow. Uncalled for, but something we should expect from this lazy writer.

On top of which, he totally omits the fact that Johnson, Westbrook, and Hoffarber have all developed under Tubby and developed well. Westbrook as a freshman under Monson/Molinari made Cobbs look like Lebron James. Yet, Tubby has him playing good basketball. Johnson was doing nothing under Monson/Molinari and Tubby has him going. Nolen has definitely gotten better since his freshman year. My gosh, did Pat even look at the stats? Nolen didn't play a great deal as a freshman, he was a backup to McKenzie and filled in some. He played well at times last year, and was playing okay this year, but to say he hasn't gotten better since his freshman year is just stupid (again). Pat - as lazy writers do - just leaves out stuff in order to prove his straw man's argument.

The straw man's argument here is that Tubby is getting a free pass. I don't think that's the case. Sure, he has his defenders (like me), but that doesn't mean there aren't things to criticize and people have done that (including me). But, it also doesn't mean the lazy Ruesse should just be able to write a hatchet job (as he usually does) leaving out some glaringly important facts. And, in this case he brings nothing new to the table. There are no interesting new tidbits in here. No quotes from players, former players, basketball experts, etc. Just drivel from a lazy guy who needed to fill 16-inches of column space by his deadline, so he threw together this masterpiece.

Remember Reusse for what he is. A lazy, well past his prime writer who loves to play the role of contrarian by using half-truths to prove a point that is based on a false straw man's argument to begin with. He's made a career out of is, so I'll give him his due. But, he has no real convictions. He writes to stir the pot and nothing else. There's no "craft" in that. There isn't any writing for what you believe in. It is simply lazy writing to get a response, and that is sad. Its like the older brother picking on the younger brother for no other reason than to elicit a response. It is immature and silly. But, after 30 years, that's what he's come to.

Sure, about once every 90 days, Pat will write that heart-tugging story about the assistant women's soccer coach at Carleton College who's cat was dying from some strange disease and they brought the cat on all the road trips and used that as motivation to beat Gustavus. Heartwarming stuff, no doubt, but the template is getting a little old.

I'd love to see someone do a column like this on Reusse's career. Seriously, here's a guy who has written for 30 years in this market. His writing has become so unimportant and irrelevant that the paper decided he could become a part time employee. After 30 years, they basically told him he didn't really matter. He writes only a handful of columns a month, most of them appear on page 8. In the meantime, after all of these years, he is relegated to having to get up at 3 am every stinking day to host a terrible talk radio show that has about 17 listeners, is absolutely tanking in the ratings and is dying on the vine. What do you suppose goes through his mind every Monday morning when that alarm striked 3?? "How'd it come to this?" Way to parlay that long career into something great! And, this is the guy who is giving out career advice to Tubby Smith?? Ok, Pat, you go dude!

TJGopher - Congratulations, you made it to the big time!!! This was read on Ruesse's show today.

Good post by TJgopher. What was Reusse & Company's reaction? Full disclosure - I am one of the 17 regular listeners to their show. I wasn't up early enough today to hear them read it though.

Good post by TJgopher. What was Reusse & Company's reaction? Full disclosure - I am one of the 17 regular listeners to their show. I wasn't up early enough today to hear them read it though.

Ruesse fully agreed!!! It was funny. He gave the GH a nice plug.

This is the best post about Reusse in the three years I have been around GopherHole. Even Pat had to recognize it.

Does Reusse read GH often. Does he ever post on GH and what would his moniker be.

I think Reusse is either Dr. Don or Rick " Don't call me monsy" Mons. One of the two.

I have heard that he checks out GH periodically, but I highly doubt that he posts here. I also assume that people send him copies of every thread that they think he will find interesting - especially the threads about him.

It sounded like someone sent the show a copy of the post. I don't think Reusse found it personally. He said something to the effect of the Gopher Hole being a room of Serious fans who know their stuff.

I think Millions 2 Spare may have sent the post to the show. He calls into those shows frequently and is connected with that radio crowd.

Reusse's such a great evaluator of basketball talent:

Oct. 23, 2008 - "That's because your always-cautious Star Tribune commentator is ready to declare the trade for Kevin Love a budding disaster -- and it's being done a week before the start of his rookie season."

How well connected are you to Millions 2 Spare?

How well connected are you to Millions 2 Spare?

Station 19 - We are all related man! Take it back far enough and we all have a common parents - Adam and Eve. You are also related to him. Its the circle of life.

Really how I know him is we are both pilots of that government issued black helicopter that circles your house.

Maybe we are the same person, Maybe we are not.....Soon the riddle will be revealed when you least expect it in the form of a major announcement that is sure to uproot the very foundations of what was the Gopher Hole........

Station 19 - We are all related man! Take it back far enough and we all have a common parents - Adam and Eve. You are also related to him. Its the circle of life.

Really how I know him is we are both pilots of that government issued black helicopter that circles your house.

Maybe we are the same person, Maybe we are not.....Soon the riddle will be revealed when you least expect it in the form of a major announcement that is sure to uproot the very foundations of what was the Gopher Hole........

You stated that m2s calls into those shows frequently and is well connected to that radio crowd. Seems like a logical question.

You stated that m2s calls into those shows frequently and is well connected to that radio crowd. Seems like a logical question.

I just know things...I will call my source "Deep Throat" and leave it at that.

Can we expect it on youtube with J-Strings providing the music?

I think you know why I ask. I have to give you credit on one thing, your posts do prompt a lot of responses, and this board is always more interesting when people respond to you (I mean "you" in a general sense, although maybe my statement applies to both interpretations).

Because I do. Why do you ask?

Did I raise a suspicion in your conspiratorial mind that we are the same person? We are not, but I like that you think we are.

Because I do. Why do you ask?

Did I raise a suspicion in your conspiratorial mind that we are the same person? We are not, but I like that you think we are.

"THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! AND WE LETUMOFFTHEHOOK!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Perhaps I should have saved this quote for the football board.:D

I think you know why I ask. I have to give you credit on one thing, your posts do prompt a lot of responses, and this board is always more interesting when people respond to you (I mean "you" in a general sense, although maybe my statement applies to both interpretations).

Do people respond to me or to someone they think is me?

Its amazing how many people think I am a dual personality. I am not, but no one believes me. Its fun!

Hahahaha. That can't be overquoted.

"THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE! AND WE LETUMOFFTHEHOOK!"

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Perhaps I should have saved this quote for the football board.:D

Are there any good journalists in the twin cities? Between the football board and the basketball board it sounds like every writer for the TC papers are 'hatchet jobs'

Reusse re-read most of tjgopher's post at the tail end of his Saturday morning Sports Talk show today. He and Soucheray got a big chuckle out of it and both commented about how well written it was and gave gopherhole a bit of a plug. Reusse good naturedly agreed with almost all of the sentiments expressed by tj, clearly willing to poke fun at himself (can you imagine Sid doing that?) - personally I'm a fan of Reusse's writing style, which I feel is usually fair and interesting, albeit sarcastic at times.

Reusse re-read most of tjgopher's post at the tail end of his Saturday morning Sports Talk show today. He and Soucheray got a big chuckle out of it and both commented about how well written it was and gave gopherhole a bit of a plug. Reusse good naturedly agreed with almost all of the sentiments expressed by tj, clearly willing to poke fun at himself (can you imagine Sid doing that?) - personally I'm a fan of Reusse's writing style, which I feel is usually fair and interesting, albeit sarcastic at times.

One of the best things about Reusse is that he doesn't take himself too seriously. You would only know that about him by listening to him on the radio. He is a lot like many GopherHole posters who love to stir the pot.

One of the best things about Reusse is that he doesn't take himself too seriously. You would only know that about him by listening to him on the radio. He is a lot like many GopherHole posters who love to stir the pot.

I agree about Reusse. I think some times he is a bit too skeptical, but mostly fair and surely not a biased homer, which is worthless as a sports commentator or a GH participant.

Top Bottom