Timed media time outs

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Is that something new this year or was I just too intoxicated all other years?

I liked the timed media time outs. In years past it seemed some were 5 minutes and some were 2 minutes so it was nice knowing how long they would be. And it seemed they had a set number for the game because half way through the 4th qtr the ref announced it would be "the last media time out" and after that there were multiple injuries and time outs where they didn't go away from the game.

Not sure if there's a rule change or just more timeout structure but having the scoring "strip" show the time out was okay. There's always been media time outs for commercials and we've always relied on watching the guy in the red hat on the home sideline at the 20 yard line. It appeared the running countdown on the score-strip matched when he put the game into play.

Missed the ref's announcement but that makes sense if there's a limit.

Anything that can be done to improve the flow of the game in general would be a plus. I always watch the guy in the red hat at the end of a series to see if they are going to let them play or go to a commercial. This will be something to watch over the season.

The SEC is actually going to put up a clock to count down the commercial times now.

The game seemed interminably long. The first half was a solid 2 hours. This was likely due to all the (incomplete) passing and some reviews. NMSU passed 58 times and we were more balanced but definitely passed more than typical for a recent MN team.

The injuries at the end of the game really didn't help for the time.. Some of the penalties required re-dos which also added time.

The injuries at the end of the game really didn't help for the time.. Some of the penalties required re-dos which also added time.

That and both teams kept passing late in the game.

Normally the home team at least grinds it out, we did not.

The game seemed interminably long. The first half was a solid 2 hours. This was likely due to all the (incomplete) passing and some reviews. NMSU passed 58 times and we were more balanced but definitely passed more than typical for a recent MN team.

It was definitely the passing, especially NMSU. They had 6 total carries from their RBs last night.

I didn't even think to look for it last night, missed it.

I can't remember if it was on the big screen but during the media time outs they replaced the game clock on both sides of the stadium (the ticker between lower and upper levels) with a countdown of how long the time out would last. The guy in the red had was timed to it almost perfectly.

I can't remember if it was on the big screen but during the media time outs they replaced the game clock on both sides of the stadium (the ticker between lower and upper levels) with a countdown of how long the time out would last. The guy in the red had was timed to it almost perfectly.

I usually just yell obscenities at the guy in the red hat until he leaves.

People don't like it, but it eventually works every time.

I usually just yell obscenities at the guy in the red hat until he leaves.

People don't like it, but it eventually works every time.

Funny story, one time we were sitting there during a later season game and it was cold and we had scored a touchdown (went to tv time out) then we kicked off then went to tv timeout again and it was late in the game and I yelled "hey guy in the red get off the field no one likes you" and the lady in front of us turned around and said "that's my son in law" then turned back around.

Funny story, one time we were sitting there during a later season game and it was cold and we had scored a touchdown (went to tv time out) then we kicked off then went to tv timeout again and it was late in the game and I yelled "hey guy in the red get off the field no one likes you" and the lady in front of us turned around and said "that's my son in law" then turned back around.

so she liked him or nah?

Walked the dog at halftime and the HS game down the street was also at halftime and it started at 7pm. First half was really long, but tons of scoring and changes of possession with 3 and outs.

I believe I heard that this is done by conference, not across the entire NCAA. It is new to the Big 10 this year although they tested it out a bit last year.

In the past there were set times for TV timeouts that were generally followed but if for some reason the TV network wasn't back from break yet, they'd hold up the game until they were. With the clock they now won't wait for the network no matter what. I can't find anything online saying this though.

I believe I heard that this is done by conference, not across the entire NCAA. It is new to the Big 10 this year although they tested it out a bit last year.

In the past there were set times for TV timeouts that were generally followed but if for some reason the TV network wasn't back from break yet, they'd hold up the game until they were. With the clock they now won't wait for the network no matter what. I can't find anything online saying this though.

Appreciate the info! Didn't know this was a thing this year, but I like it. Not sure why but I do.

Appreciate the info! Didn't know this was a thing this year, but I like it. Not sure why but I do.

GoGophersUMN - you are correct. This is a conference decision.

It was tested at two B1G schools last year (Iowa and either Mich St or Mich). It worked well; B1G was happy with the shorter game lengths and better game flow. Apparently, networks only missed the start of a play a couple of times in the roughly 16 games where it was in play.

Media timeouts were 2:20, except for the fourth media timeout of the second and fourth quarters. Those timeouts were 1:50.
(2:00 of actual break time, plus 10 second bumps at the beginning and end of each timeout for networks to transition to/from the break, 90 seconds +10 bumps for the last break of each half).

Quarter breaks were also shorter, 2:20 (including bumps) rather than the 3:00+ from last year.

Once the timeout clock reaches 0:00, the team with the ball can immediately snap it. They don't have to. The play clock will start as it would normally. (If the offense changes personnel on the field after the timeout clock expires, officials will still hold up play giving the defense the opportunity to change personnel, too.)

Red hat did delay the start of play a few times, but only by about 10 or so seconds. Sounds like that won't normally be the case.

"Once the timeout clock reaches 0:00, the team with the ball can immediately snap it. They don't have to. The play clock will start as it would normally. (If the offense changes personnel on the field after the timeout clock expires, officials will still hold up play giving the defense the opportunity to change personnel, too.)

Question...shouldn't here be a whistle initiating play before this can happen?

I can see some Belichick-type initiatives to do just that...hike when that clock hits zero...whether the play clock or whistle matches it or not.

"Once the timeout clock reaches 0:00, the team with the ball can immediately snap it. They don't have to. The play clock will start as it would normally. (If the offense changes personnel on the field after the timeout clock expires, officials will still hold up play giving the defense the opportunity to change personnel, too.)

Question...shouldn't here be a whistle initiating play before this can happen?

I can see some Belichick-type initiatives to do just that...hike when that clock hits zero...whether the play clock or whistle matches it or not.

I think they do whistle when the tv timeout ends, and typically the ref stands over the ball at that point until everyone is ready.

I swear I recall Mason did a lot of quick snaps before the refs got a lot more involved in letting everyone change players too. I recall him going for it on 4th that way a few times when the opposing team was far from their bench.

Top Bottom