Time to start looking fora new head coach

frannyjunk

Reaction score
I wanted to like Pitino. Seems like a good coach .... but you can't argue with the lack of results. Last year's team was chalk full with experience yet did not even make the NIT. This year losing to 2 South Dakota teams. Time for a new HC.

Comparing little Pitino to Tubby who had a bare cupboard at Tech, at year 3, Tech is way ahead compared to Gophers.

Do not think about this until after next year - we can not lose the three recruits for next year. As I said after the SD game - limit minutes to Morris and other upper classmen - and let the team press like they did in the latter part of the game tonight. Maybe the freshmen will become sophomores sooner rather than later..

Do not think about this until after next year - we can not lose the three recruits for next year. As I said after the SD game - limit minutes to Morris and other upper classmen - and let the team press like they did in the latter part of the game tonight. Maybe the freshmen will become sophomores sooner rather than later..

Iowa State fell for that line of thinking when we hired Wayne Morgan to replace Larry Eustachy in part to keep the stable of recruits Wayne helped land. Maybe it will pay off for the Gophers, but it did not work for ISU. To be successful you have to have talent but you also have to be able to coach. If you have talent, but no coaching, you will still struggle.

So is this officially the first "fire Pitino" thread? We've reached a milestone folks.

Also, how many coaches get fired after 3 years or less?

So is this officially the first "fire Pitino" thread? We've reached a milestone folks.

When a head coach is hired with practically no experience, just betting on his name, he should not be given extra years for on-the-job training.

When a head coach is hired with practically no experience, just betting on his name, he should not be given extra years for on-the-job training.

Given his prior experience exactly what did you expect from a coaching standpoint?

I'm not agreeing with you, it's just a stupid point to make and it's one of the favorites to make by some on this board.

There is No way this is the first! Peeps been calling for his head since he got here.

The AD doesn't have the balls to fire him this year

It appears to me that young Richard is overmatched at this point in his coaching career. Nothing against personally.

Hired a name not a coach. Simply 31 year old coaches with 1 year experience do not belong in the big ten. Bad hire by a bad guy. As for recruits no player is worth the wrong coach. This is basketball not football rebuilds don't take as long. This is the lowest it has been in 10 years. Milwaukee prolly beats us. Your 3rd year is unacceptable. Ultimately he gets saved by not having an ad. My fear is that we fire himdng the non conference next year. Have a really good class coming in but I don't think it is a program changer in year 1.
It appears to me that young Richard is overmatched at this point in his coaching career. Nothing against personally.

Given his prior experience exactly what did you expect from a coaching standpoint?

I'm not agreeing with you, it's just a stupid point to make and it's one of the favorites to make by some on this board.

One of his first three years to be better than the one before it.

Question: What current coach could get this group to win enough to keep fans happy?

Question: What current coach could get this group to win enough to keep fans happy?

I'm not in the fire Pitino camp. Too early for that. But to answer your question, most fans knew this was not going to be a "we need to win to keep us happy" season. But losing to the South Dakota's in back to back games, with horrible effort, well, lets hope there are a ton of coaches that could have avoided this less than ideal scenario we now find ourselves in.

Iowa State fell for that line of thinking when we hired Wayne Morgan to replace Larry Eustachy in part to keep the stable of recruits Wayne helped land. Maybe it will pay off for the Gophers, but it did not work for ISU. To be successful you have to have talent but you also have to be able to coach. If you have talent, but no coaching, you will still struggle.

And for another Iowa reference, there were Hawkeye fans who argued that firing Todd Lickliter after three years would be damaging to the program. Fortunately for them, their AD was willing to recognize his mistake and make the change. It should also be mentioned that 2 of Lickliter's 4 recruits for that last season came to Iowa anyway and played for the new coach, McCafferey. The best of the four, Devan Marble, was, like Coffey, a legacy player.

Question: Who assembled this roster?

Remember, this is year 3, not year 1. Coaches typically don't get a complete pass in year 3.

Question: Who assembled this roster?

Remember, this is year 3, not year 1. Coaches typically don't get a complete pass in year 3.

You could try to answer the question.

Richard seems to be able to recruit, but his Xs and Os are severely lacking. Getting beat on defense with Basketball 101 plays, and having no half-court offense whatsoever. The few minutes Gilbert was in the game last night he appeared glued to a board on the left wing. Maybe if he gets some help with the tactical side of the game he can survive, but right now he's completely overmatched.

Most coaches in year three have upper class man from the previous coach to help round out the team. Pitino didn't get anything from Tibby's recruiting and basically had to assemble a team from scratch. Taking anyone just to fill a roster. His first true class was last year's. Wait until Mason and Co. are upperclassmen to see if Pitino can really coach.

Dumb question he is the one that has had huge recruiting misses. This is year 3 his guys minus buggs. My biggest problem he was suppose to have a system first it was wrong players not his guys. Now all his guys and he is losing not playing his style. What's the excuse now? If you are going to embarss yourself at least stick to your style you supposedly recruited these guys to play. The Iowa comparison is great wished I would of thought of it.

It's too early to fire Pitino, that would be a knee-jerk reaction. These two losses are bad, but not worth firing the coach. If we play like this all year and finish last in the Big Ten, then maybe fire him. You have to consider the fact that we aren't going to be able to just hire some savior right away that will get us back to the tournament; it will probably be another 2-3 years of losing, high roster turnover, etc. We knew Pitino would be a bit of a project. He's done a good job of recruiting, I think we should at least let his first group of freshman become upperclassman before we give up.

nvm

Lets just wait a while before saying that Pitino isn't coaching these kids well. It's a roster in flux. I would bet a lot of money he regrets some of his early signings right now.

I think we should pay close attention to Mason, McBrayer, Murphy and Dorsey and a lesser extent Gilbert and Konate to see if they get coached up through the year, they are the future, they are what matters, and I hope Pitino puts all of his focus on those four guys.

Another bell cow will be what impact are Fitz and Lynch next year. Are they a repeat of his prior mistakes? Or did he do a better job vetting his juco gambles?

Yeah, let's fire Pitino with the recruits he has coming in during the same year with the AD mess and losing Kill. That'll solve all the problems.

It's too early to fire Pitino, that would be a knee-jerk reaction. These two losses are bad, but not worth firing the coach. If we play like this all year and finish last in the Big Ten, then maybe fire him. You have to consider the fact that we aren't going to be able to just hire some savior right away that will get us back to the tournament; it will probably be another 2-3 years of losing, high roster turnover, etc. We knew Pitino would be a bit of a project. He's done a good job of recruiting, I think we should at least let his first group of freshman become upperclassman before we give up.

Three coaches in the Big Ten, Fran McCaffery, John Beilein and Bo Ryan are classic examples of what we should look for. Experienced coaches that have worked their way up the ranks and have established track records and systems. We should not be hiring projects.

Pitino isn't getting fired this year. When the AD is hired their first priority isn't gong to be fire basketball coach either. For those of you who want the search for a new coach to start now you're probably going to have to wait until after the 2016-17 season if even then.

Fire him now. Either Ben Johnson or Kimani Young would be better for the rest of the year. They did most of the recruiting and can inspire the team to make the best of a bad situation.

Fire him now. Either Ben Johnson or Kimani Young would be better for the rest of the year. They did most of the recruiting and can inspire the team to make the best of a bad situation.

You forgot to note sarcasm

Unless you are very close to the team you don't know that.

The Gophers can't fire and rehire a basketball coach without an AD in place. If they did Kimani Young would have to be promoted and given a 3 year contract. :rolleyes:

Edit: someone beat me to it. At least mine was full of sarcasm.

Top Bottom