Time to get rolling on the new practice facilty

as an architecture student. not that impressed.

Are you sure that's Iowa? It said "Hall of Champions".

Will their new athletic facility have dialysis machines installed?

I agree not very well thought out layout.

Crappy layout.
Looks like hodge podge.
Let me be the first Gopherholer to commit that if I win the powerball on Saturday I'm paying for the new practice
facillity myself. Here is wishing all Gopherholers that play the lottery some luck and hopefully it is a Gopher fan that
wins this Saturdays drawing.

Should of named the recruiting area, the "Future Paroley Pub"

Does it have a pasture behind it for the cheerleaders to graze?

It lacks a certain wow factor. On the positive side, the bricks are all the same size and shape. Iowans will be impressed by that.

Gotta get the basketball one built first IMO, truly a sad state of affairs when we build a women's ice arena and a rowing facility over a basketball and football facility

Looks like hodge podge.
Let me be the first Gopherholer to commit that if I win the powerball on Saturday I'm paying for the new practice
facillity myself. Here is wishing all Gopherholers that play the lottery some luck and hopefully it is a Gopher fan that
wins this Saturdays drawing.

So is it going to be a $100 or $125 million practice facility?

MN Daily Q&A with Kaler:

What is the status of the University’s master facilities plan for athletics?

I’d say it’s on a final lap to completion. It’s comprehensive, and it’ll be a big plan. I like to have some structure around all of the things that we do. It’s worthwhile for us to get a big view of all that we might do, and then we will enter a process of setting priorities and seeing what’s feasible to do in terms of philanthropy that we might raise to support it.

http://www.mndaily.com/university/a...ota-leg-tcf-bank-stadium-alcohol-sales-and-ge

Go Gophers!!

MN Daily Q&A with Kaler:

What is the status of the University’s master facilities plan for athletics?

I’d say it’s on a final lap to completion. It’s comprehensive, and it’ll be a big plan. I like to have some structure around all of the things that we do. It’s worthwhile for us to get a big view of all that we might do, and then we will enter a process of setting priorities and seeing what’s feasible to do in terms of philanthropy that we might raise to support it.

http://www.mndaily.com/university/a...ota-leg-tcf-bank-stadium-alcohol-sales-and-ge

Go Gophers!!

I hope they can set priorities quickly. My vote. Do the basketball practice facility ASAP.

Oh come on vagopher: Let's at least put football first on the Football Board...

I hope they can set priorities quickly. My vote. Do the basketball practice facility ASAP.

Let Hoops worry about their own facilities over on their board. And, this 125 million dollar target is code word for "...we'll throw around such a big number that we will be able to stall this thing off for a long time while we give the ticket holders some hope that we really are ready to put this thing together any year now..."

When I see the kinds of things this prexy and our new Norwood say, I don't see as much "how really close we are to getting this done..." as I see: "...if all the right events align at the right time we would like to take care of all our needs at one time if the donors REALLY come through in a way we haven't seen since we used up all that good will with the stadium drive..." What I see them saying has no real date attached. It also has not convinced me that they have really convinced the targeted potential lead donors yet.

So, for the sake of being a good football fan first...I am more worried about what they are able to do for the football program than what they do for the hoops program. For a LONG TIME they were paying the hoops coach twice as much as the football coach and we see where that got them...

Believe what you SEE them do...not what they SAY they would like to do...

; 0 )

Let Hoops worry about their own facilities over on their board. And, this 125 million dollar target is code word for "...we'll throw around such a big number that we will be able to stall this thing off for a long time while we give the ticket holders some hope that we really are ready to put this thing together any year now..."

When I see the kinds of things this prexy and our new Norwood say, I don't see as much "how really close we are to getting this done..." as I see: "...if all the right events align at the right time we would like to take care of all our needs at one time if the donors REALLY come through in a way we haven't seen since we used up all that good will with the stadium drive..." What I see them saying has no real date attached. It also has not convinced me that they have really convinced the targeted potential lead donors yet.

So, for the sake of being a good football fan first...I am more worried about what they are able to do for the football program than what they do for the hoops program. For a LONG TIME they were paying the hoops coach twice as much as the football coach and we see where that got them...

; 0 )

I am 100% in agreement with the walrus. He is clearly the only poster on this board with any brains.

; 0 )

I love Minnesota football and basketball equally, but Football got a beautiful new stadium a couple of years ago, and Baseball more recently got one as well. It's time for a little capital investment in Basketball. Football has the new stadium's locker room to knock the socks off of recruits. Basketball needs a practice facility to do the same. It would be wonderful if we had unlimited resources, but that isn't the case, and it is thus necessary to set priorities. Sorry for expressing my opinion on the football board, but that's where issue was raised.

I love Minnesota football and basketball equally, but Football got a beautiful new stadium a couple of years ago, and Baseball more recently got one as well. It's time for a little capital investment in Basketball. Football has the new stadium's locker room to knock the socks off of recruits. Basketball needs a practice facility to do the same. It would be wonderful if we had unlimited resources, but that isn't the case, and it is thus necessary to set priorities. Sorry for expressing my opinion on the football board, but that's where issue was raised.

Priorities...Football is the cash cow and hoops is a distant 2nd. Football gets Capitol investment.

Priorities...Football is the cash cow and hoops is a distant 2nd. Football gets Capitol investment.

Even if it doesn't have an immediate need? I'm confident that a cost/benefit analysis favors a basketball facility.

I remember when they put up the Taj-Ma-Holtz. That was really something for its time, but it now seems kind of lame in comparison. Gosh, 30 years goes fast. Anyway, we will have to compete against this if we want success. I don't see it as a trade-off of basketball vs football. We need world class facilities like this for both sports.

I remember when they put up the Taj-Ma-Holtz. That was really something for its time, but it now seems kind of lame in comparison. Gosh, 30 years goes fast. Anyway, we will have to compete against this if we want success. I don't see it as a trade-off of basketball vs football. We need world class facilities like this for both sports.

+1

I usually find it hard to agree with Parski1 very often, so I won't again. Needs are needs and must be placed in order of needs.

If money is to be invested, the order of the needs must be prioritized, and it is up to Norwood Teague and GopherHole to determine the priorities.

The two main income producers for all of U of M athletics are football and basketball. The teams are on the same team. The fans are who make arguments about them.

So, we want it ALL...

right now? When, where and how will this administration raise the 125 million? Hope you are right kids...but 125 million is a LOT of money in this 2013 economy. I'm going to have to see it happen before I believe this is any more than "prexy-speak" on K's part to appease we "facility arms race hungry gung-ho, but basically "cash-strapped folks trying to pay the mortgage..." who write on message boards and scrap together enough bucks to buy our season tickets and MAYBE give a few hundred for scholarships. And the too frequently used "slick-speak-lines" coming from the office of the AD about the specific plans and time table for the fund-raising drive to start and finish that never really give us any answers and when analyzed, are meant only to "take the heat off..."

I care about the Football Program...but...to think 125 million has to be raised before anything is done pretty much moves the time frame back five...ten...maybe even 20 years into the future. The administration at the U talks kind of like politicians who want to balance the budget five or ten years after their terms are completed.

Show me the money administrators...don't just talk with your administrator-speak b.s. Take the heat until you can give us some specific, honest and real answers. Don't talk to the public about it until you have all the lead donors lined up and then talk to us as the shovels are going into the ground to start construction. Maybe then I will believe what our administrators have to say about this situation...

; 0 )

per Sid:

Study to be presented

Gophers executive associate athletic director David Benedict reported that the longtime study to reveal what new or remodeled facilities are needed by Gophers athletics to compete with other Big Ten schools will be presented to the Board of Regents this week.

“I think it’s just going to be an opportunity for us to explain the process that we went through to assess the needs of the athletic department and its facilities,” Benedict said. “I think it all comes down to the priority [of what buildings need to be built], and we’re working with the university to identify what those priorities are and there will be some significant investments.”

He added: “I believe there are people in this community that want to see us be very competitive in the Big Ten, and that will find a way to fund those priorities.”

Among the priorities are a men’s and women’s basketball practice facility. “Certainly that is high on the list,” Benedict said. “I know it has been talked about for a long time, but that is definitely a high priority for us.”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/214558591.html?page=all&prepage=1&c=y#continue

Go Gophers!!

@GophersNow: #Gophers AD Norwood Teague to hold a news conference tomw to give an update on the department's master facilities plan.

Go Gophers!!

@GophersNow: #Gophers AD Norwood Teague to hold a news conference tomw to give an update on the department's master facilities plan.

Go Gophers!!

Please let us know the time, and if we can catch it on live stream somewhere. Thanks.

Interesting that the current building is leaking.

Seems pretty cool, all told. I have to admit, I'm very confused what makes the new indoor football building better than the current one if the leaks were fixed? Is the intent that any of this space (particularly the Olympic Sport facility) would be taking over what the Field House provides, or is that entirely separate? What are they planning would go in the FH's space if so (since many on here believed the BB facility would go there..)? Also, seemed a little odd to come to the table with this phase I plan without an idea whatsoever of where the track will go. That's a big piece of real estate to just assume you'll find room for. Perhaps it's a natural fit for St Paul near the soccer stadium (maybe even share the field in the center with them since soccer is in the fall??).

I also have to make a side-note.. Teague mentioned putting ~300 parking spaces underground. First, there are 174 on-site today. Why increase the capacity when we will just be completing the CC LRT, seeing enhanced bus service in the area, better on-street bicycle facilities, and national/state-wide reductions in car use?? Also, putting them underground would be.. well, expensive. Like $20k per spot (minimum, but since they're doing construction already I'll go on the far low-end). That could be $6M+ of the proposed $190M budget. Do AD employees pay to park in those lots? Operation of parking facilities costs $500/year/space, I would hope that they use some financial sense and de-bundle parking costs from this project and charge appropriate rates to the employees who use it (like, they fund the opportunity cost of the construction and ongoing maintenance). Just a thought.

Finally, while the northern end of the building with glass looks better than the blank brick wall, it would be nice if this addresses the street as well as humanly possible. Multiple stretches of glass showing the inside/offices/etc so that the 2-3 block stretch along a busy pedestrian street is not terrible to walk/bike along.

Top Bottom