Time to call it: MN beats OSU?

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
I know we have a Predict the Score Thread, but its time, here and now, to put your faith in this program, this coach, this State, on record. I'm calling it: Minnesota will beat the pompous Buckeyes from Ohio State in historic fashion.

They are too concerned with rankings and their current standing in the playoff chase. They are the Yankees of NCAA football, thinking about how much they will win by this week rather than whether they will win at all.

It is time we proclaim our arrival on the national stage. This Saturday, we will have arrived. We are a force to be respected. We will become the Golden Gophers of Legend. 7-0 at home--the most feared home team in the B1G!

And for the doubters who are happy with what we've accomplished so far. "What? Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!"

Who's coming with me???? Gophers Win! Beat tOSU!

See http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077975/quotes

Serious beatdown time for the Gophers, then steal all their 5 star recruits

It's surprising how little chance the BTN folks are giving us, even when they describe the formula for success. Vegas usually knows what it's doing, too. But, I believe we can pull off this upset if Mitch plays well. If Penn State can take them to double overtime, we can certainly pull off the upset. Our D also has to tackle well. MSU didn't and got burned. We've been a good tackling team, for the most part.

We can pull it off, I give us a non-negligible chance of winning. A couple things I worry about:

- Their WRs against our corners in man. Barrett can make us pay on the deep ball if any of them get behind the D.

- How our offensive line handles their D line. Bennett and Bosa are immensely talented and could wreak total havoc on the offense if the line isn't ready to have their best game of the year. I hope we have a few more screens and sweeps dialed up to minimize their impact.

PSU and V. Tech - we play like last Sat. - it will be close! Go Gophers!

I think it has more to do with which OSU teams shows up. If the VT/PSU team shows up, the game is ours for the taking. But, if they play like they have in ALL the rest of their games they can pretty much name the score. I don't think that is taking anything away from us, because I think they could pretty much dominate any team outside the top 6-7 in the country.

It's surprising how little chance the BTN folks are giving us, even when they describe the formula for success. Vegas usually knows what it's doing, too. But, I believe we can pull off this upset if Mitch plays well. If Penn State can take them to double overtime, we can certainly pull off the upset. Our D also has to tackle well. MSU didn't and got burned. We've been a good tackling team, for the most part.

Last year Nebraska came to town, ranked 25th in the nation. I believe we were double digit dogs for that game. The beat down that took place gave us credibility and respect. We're a better team this year.

They think if they beat the Gophers worse than TCU it will somehow magically move them into 1 of the Top 4 spots. At this point, they are already hanging the W up with the only point of contention being will they win by 30 or 40 points. I hate the Buckeyes.

I hope to God that OSU has no interest in playing on Saturday.

Because they could pound us if they really, really want to.

When the Germans bombed WHAT? Another Iowa history major?

When the Germans bombed WHAT? Another Iowa history major?

Have people seriously stopped watching Animal House?

I love quoting that line on message boards (I've done it here before), because I seem to always get some board know-it-all telling me I'm an idiot. Funny stuff!

Ohio State is coming off their biggest win of the year.
Ohio State is on the road for the second week in a row.
The weather looks to be cold and perhaps snowy.
Early start time in a different time zone.
The Gophers on paper are a far inferior opponent.
Can you say trap game?

Yeah, perhaps wishful thinking but anything's possible, a Gopher win wouldn't shock me.

I feel like this one is going to come down to the last few possessions of the game (within 7 in the last 8 minutes). If Mitch can outplay Barrett in the 4th quarter, we will win. Just my gut feeling and maroon and gold tinted glasses maybe

The Gophers have faced a few games like this in the last 15 years. Teams on the cusp of national legitimacy that just need one big win to break through. I'm thinking of say, Michigan 2003, or even Wisconsin last year, there are others. We have typically lost these games and gone back to the middle or the bottom of the pack. So hey, the law of averages says we're due to finally win that game and return to the glory days, right?

The stars are aligning, we're media darlings, America (outside of Iowa and Wisconsin) wants to see us do well, and knock off the Buckeyes. None of this means anything, of course, but it feels nice. Can't wait for the game.

OSU is a better team. That said the way our team has been shaped is tailor made for us to stay in games against more talented teams when we play well. We want to run the ball and control the clock on O while also taking our shots for big hitters when they're available. Our D is designed to limit the big play and force teams to drive on us. If we limit turnovers and can play fundamentally sound D then we can make it a game come the 4th quarter and then we'll go from there. The real question for me is if the O can generate not only enough points but enough 1st downs to make 'ball control' effective because running it into the line 3 times in a row and having a ton of 3-6 and out type of drives will get us killed. Plus momentum and confidence is a real thing and nothing kills a D's momentum quicker than an O that can't hold it's own weight

Reasons for optimism:

- Even though Ohio State just beat Michigan State, Penn State took them to OT a few weeks ago so they are capable of struggling

- OSU will overlook us after the emotional win against MSU

- Yes, I think weather could be a factor. Like someone else alluded to, going from 60 degrees to 40 is manageable, but going from 40 to 20 is exponentially worse. Add in some snow and wind, and it takes a mentally strong team to overcome that. You just don't play as "fast" when you are freezing your ass off, and Ohio State relies more than on that than their power. Also, they have a freshman QB from Texas, and while I generally don't think where the player is from matters as much, it just might when you are making your first career start in these conditions.

- We are coming off our best game in many years.

Reason we will lose:

OSU is riding a 36-2 in last 38 against us, and is currently in the middle of a record 21-game Big Ten regular season conference winning streak. Ouch.

They think if they beat the Gophers worse than TCU it will somehow magically move them into 1 of the Top 4 spots. At this point, they are already hanging the W up with the only point of contention being will they win by 30 or 40 points. I hate the Buckeyes.

They won't jump that high in one week.

OSU is a better team. That said the way our team has been shaped is tailor made for us to stay in games against more talented teams when we play well. We want to run the ball and control the clock on O while also taking our shots for big hitters when they're available. Our D is designed to limit the big play and force teams to drive on us. If we limit turnovers and can play fundamentally sound D then we can make it a game come the 4th quarter and then we'll go from there. The real question for me is if the O can generate not only enough points but enough 1st downs to make 'ball control' effective because running it into the line 3 times in a row and having a ton of 3-6 and out type of drives will get us killed. Plus momentum and confidence is a real thing and nothing kills a D's momentum quicker than an O that can't hold it's own weight

Yeah, basically what's been holding us back in these games the last couple years has been lack of offense against the big dogs. If we finally land a few punches on O, it could make a huge difference.

Count me in. I have drank the Jerry Kill Kool Aid and it is delicious. The fact that we are even talking about potential to beat tOSU shows how far we have come. These men will not be scared of the poisonous nuts and will remain fundamentally sound.

Top Bottom