Timberwolves Shootout

Cosmo Kramer

Reaction score
Wondering what the thoughts were of people who went (Johnny, Woie< others) How did everyone look? Also noticing that alot of points for Rodney Williams is off dunks how is his shooting progressing? Sounds like he did a great job on defense on Wragge which is encouraging. Did we ever off Maymon? He is going to be a stud.

This is the first time I have seen White or Williams play.

My impression of Royce is that he is a very talented player. He is not just an athlete he is a basketball player. If I had any criticism of his play at all it would be that because he doesn't need to play very hard to be a stand out player, he seems lack intensity at times. He got about 15 points. I think Hopkins was a good pick for him because the coach makes him play within a system.

Rodney, as you all know, is a unbelieveable athelete. I think he has a way to go before his basketball skills match his potential. If making circus slam dunks will get the Gopher to the final 4 then we are as good as there. He had several dunks but, I will not soon forget the back to the basket slam off a high long pass, anytime soon. But, here's my problem with him. I hate the machanics of his jump shot. His shot starts at the chest rather than above his head and he missed more often than not. His release is much like Al Nolen's and like Nolen, he needs to improve his percentage there. I watched him shoot during the warmups and he must have missed 75% of his attempts. Maybe he can shoot better than I saw him do tonight. If he can't, I don't see how he can get big minutes at the 2 or 3 positions in the Big Ten.

To conclude, I am sure Royce is ready to make a real contribution to the Gophers. He has the skills and the body. Rodney may have a little way to go. He is a fabulous crowd pleaser right now. He needs to improve his shot and his strength to move upper classmen like Hoffarber, Bostick, Busch and Joseph aside.

In my mind Rodney Williams Jr. is a momentum builder or changer. He's Dunks are the Hoffarbar version of 3's. It starts runs for his teams and you can just see in his game that once he gets off the first dunk in a game, that's when he starts to gain confidences. He needs alot of works on his outside shooting but i think Tubby and his staff will him a star by his Junior year. He'll get playing time just like Hoffarbar during his freshman year because Rodney is very good on defense, which is one of his strong points too. Just go to one of Cooper's game and you can see that once the first dunk by Rodney is made, the intensity of his teammates start to evolve and make everyone play better. By the way he did shut out the top player from the Eden Prairie (#34) at the Timberwolves Shootout, I believe he went 1-10 from the 3 point line and I don't think he fare any better underneath. Fans were chanting for him to dunk the ball basically every time he had the ball in his hand yesterday.

Top Bottom