Tim Brewster

I'm shocked he is not HC @ a Helmet school as his time in Minnesota was memorable, unforgettable, & the other B1G teams hated to see him go! What a hot mess. Strange, some Gopher fans thought his was going to take us to the Rose Bowl & were upset with his firing. One cannot buy Common Sense @ Amazon.

I'm shocked he is not HC @ a Helmet school as his time in Minnesota was memorable, unforgettable, & the other B1G teams hated to see him go! What a hot mess. Strange, some Gopher fans thought his was going to take us to the Rose Bowl & were upset with his firing. One cannot buy Common Sense @ Amazon.
I mean Brew talked about the Rose Bowl but not sure how many truly believed he was going to get it done. He was an unknown when he was hired here so not like he came in with big time expectations.

As for people being upset about his firing......going to go out on a limb and say there were not very many of those people out there when he was let go. Outside of maybe family and friends I don't think there were many in the fanbase happy with the way his tenure was playing out here.

Big difference is that Brewster hasn’t really shit talked the program since he left

True but that didn't stop the Board from going after him. You forgot the sheet storm that started around here when Brewster said how much easier it was to recruit to Texas, UNC and Mississippi State than it was to Minnesota.

"B.S.!" "You're just making excuses!" "You just couldn't get players here anyway!"

True but that didn't stop the Board from going after him. You forgot the sheet storm that started around here when Brewster said how much easier it was to recruit to Texas, UNC and Mississippi State than it was to Minnesota.

"B.S.!" "You're just making excuses!" "You just couldn't get players here anyway!"
I wasn’t around then, but anyone who disagreed with that statement is funny

He's in a fiery competition with Jerry Kill to see which former Gophers head coach can rack up the most post-Minnesota coaching stops.
It's too bad those two never worked on the same staff as co-head coaches. Building men through eating hot chili!

He was in over his head, but Wacker was far less successful than Brewster. Wacker is easily the worst gopher coach in my lifetime and not close.

He couldn't even recruit his own son. That does say something...

He couldn't even recruit his own son. That does say something...
Disagree. There was much history with his Godfather and Texas prior to Brewster coming a coach here. I think Brewster would honor and respect the decision his son made based on a lifelong relationship he had.

Who remembers when Brew (allegedly) pulled up a piece of sod from the Rose Bowl and put it in the locker room and then watered and nurtured it. It was supposed to motivate the players to work harder for that Rose Bowl berth. I wonder if that potted sod is still around?

Who remembers when Brew (allegedly) pulled up a piece of sod from the Rose Bowl and put it in the locker room and then watered and nurtured it. It was supposed to motivate the players to work harder for that Rose Bowl berth. I wonder if that potted sod is still around?
Knowing the character of Brewster he probably bought it at Bachman’s and said it was from rose bowl

The best story I heard about Brewster involved a bear trap.

The Ted Roof story still stands out too...

I knew a lot of Gopher fans that were all in on Brew.
I don't know a single Gopher fan that was upset with his firing.

Agreed, JK obviously was a more successful coach here, but one of those men handled their exit with class and grace, and the other did not.
One of those men ran the program into the ground and the other one was essentially sacrificed on the alter of "culture". It was easy for Brew to take the high road because there was absolutely no controversy to his firing.

For the Claeys situation, Coyle and Fleck did drag the program through the mud a little. I have always liked Fleck, he was clearly the better coach and the best thing for the U, but I think Coyle did Tracy Claeys a little dirty and I think Jerry Kill was somewhat collateral damage during some of those press conferences. Maybe it's more accurate to say that I can understand why Claeys and Kill felt that were done dirty by the admin.

In retrospect Brewster never should have been hired and it's kind of amazing that Maturi, after screwing up so badly, was still around to pick his replacement, and Brewster's tenure certainly provided its share of unintentional comedy . . . but a part of me has a certain amount of sympathy for the guy. He was chasing his dream and I don't think anybody can dispute that he poured his heart into it, only to fail miserably, and as far as I can tell he's never badmouthed anyone about his time here.

One of those men ran the program into the ground and the other one was essentially sacrificed on the alter of "culture". It was easy for Brew to take the high road because there was absolutely no controversy to his firing.

For the Claeys situation, Coyle and Fleck did drag the program through the mud a little. I have always liked Fleck, he was clearly the better coach and the best thing for the U, but I think Coyle did Tracy Claeys a little dirty and I think Jerry Kill was somewhat collateral damage during some of those press conferences. Maybe it's more accurate to say that I can understand why Claeys and Kill felt that were done dirty by the admin.
IMO if anyone has a right to be pissed off it's Claeys way more than Jerry. Claeys absolutely had his name dragged through the mud in a totally unfair manner. Yet he has found a way to not trash the university both on his way out and many years later.

I knew a lot of Gopher fans that were all in on Brew.
I don't know a single Gopher fan that was upset with his firing.
I was upset... That lessons learned were not really learned. Timing of hire of a coach with zero coordinator or head coaching experience, and no staff ready to go with him during crunch time in recruiting? Not to mention that there was a limited budget for staff.

No surprise that there were struggles to put it mildly.

The turf stuff is not even on the radar. If there had been any real success, some would have said it was brilliant and a "culture" builder.

I kind of agree with this. I got the feeling AD Coyle wanted coach Claeys gone from the start.

Kill had some legit reasons. His issues were really more with the Teague fiasco. Health wise he was already on shaky ground. Having to take on some of the AD stuff (or so we were told) did not help at all.

IMO if anyone has a right to be pissed off it's Claeys way more than Jerry. Claeys absolutely had his name dragged through the mud in a totally unfair manner. Yet he has found a way to not trash the university both on his way out and many years later.
Sure, but from Jerry's point of view, the shade thrown at the culture of the team prior to PJ was also directed at Jerry. From Jerry's point of view, the U trashed him and his coaches.

I'm not saying you have to agree with Jerry's opinion or not, I'm just saying the circumstances between Kill and Brewster were drastically different.

I was upset... That lessons learned were not really learned. Timing of hire of a coach with zero coordinator or head coaching experience, and no staff ready to go with him during crunch time in recruiting? Not to mention that there was a limited budget for staff.

No surprise that there were struggles to put it mildly.

The turf stuff is not even on the radar. If there had been any real success, some would have said it was brilliant and a "culture" builder.
I knew people who were upset that Brewster was HIRED (which you seem to be one of those folks), I do not know anyone who was upset when he was FIRED. Even Brew's biggest supporters flipped after the USD game.

Top Bottom