Tim Brewster to be the WR coach at Alabama?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per this tweet from FootballRumorMill.com:

"We're hearing former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster could be a candidate foe the WR job at Alabama."

Go Gophers!!

Why should that be an eek? He was a position coach who wasn't ready to be a head coach. Going back to being a position coach seems appropriate.

That's tremendous news for him and Roll Tide Nation!

Interesting fit

Saban just sees WRs as fast blockers (occasionally used like Mason did for a fade or PA pass) so there wouldn't be much coaching work required, and Brewster's recruiting prowess would be returned to a helmet school.

I think it would actually be a good fit for him. I'm actually surprised that Mack Brown hasn't found a spot for him at Texas.

Why should that be an eek? He was a position coach who wasn't ready to be a head coach. Going back to being a position coach seems appropriate.

Agreed. The guy does have college and pro position coaching experience. Just because he wasn't a good head coach doesn't mean he is a total tool in term of football knowledge and expertise.

Tremendous, tremendous! Just what Saban needs, another great recruiter. I wish him well. He was not ready for such a big job and that is on Maturi. I applaud him for upgrading our schedules.

This is now the 4th job that Brew has been linked too (Northern Colorado, Texas State, Washington Redskins, Alabama). I have a question for all the Brew Haters and Mason Lovers - how many jobs has Mason been linked to the past five years? Michigan?

I am sorry, I hate when people bring up the whole Mase/Brew debate and now I am guilty of it!

This is now the 4th job that Brew has been linked too (Northern Colorado, Texas State, Washington Redskins, Alabama). I have a question for all the Brew Haters and Mason Lovers - how many jobs has Mason been linked to the past five years? Michigan?

I am sorry, I hate when people bring up the whole Mase/Brew debate and now I am guilty of it!

Clearly, no one was interested in hiring Mason for a head coaching job at the BCS level. But let's be fair, Mason could have had a head coaching job at the non-BCS level or at the I-AA level pretty quickly. But with that cushy BTN job he has little incentive to take a lower-level head coaching job or a coordinator job. Brewster has been considered for head coaching jobs at a lower level, or for coordinator or position coach positions. It's more a reflection of what jobs these two would consider.

If Brewster gets this job, it wouldn't surprise me if he was able to step up from this into another HC job in a few years, maybe not at the BCS level though.

He's trying to convince Saban to move his best DB to WR

There have been many coaches over the years that have achieved more than Brewster ever did who were not linked to other jobs, doesn't mean they were less talented than him. There are other factors that come into play, such as age. Not many coaches get hired for a new head job once they hit 60 years of age. Some examples, Gary Barnett, John Cooper, Phil Fulmer, etc. Even Larry Coker who has a national championship had to go down and start a program at UTSA from scratch because no other programs were interested.

What does "linked to" mean to you?

I can't wait for Nick Saban to start using the word Tremendous in his press conferences.

Reports that Mike Groh will be the WR coach. Brewster might have such a bad stigma right now nationally that it might take a bit for him to get a job.

Top Bottom