Tim Brewster Press Conference Notes, 11-17-09

alltimetwinsfan

Grand Poobah
Reaction score
More to talk about following this week's presser than last week...enjoy.

-Brewster opened the conference by talking about how excited he was to again be bowl eligible, and how the biggest advantage is that they essentially get two spring practices, with the extra 15 practices they will receive before the bowl game

-Made the point that any win is a good win, and the fact of the matter was they got the job done in the end against South Dakota State

-Team Awards for this week:

-Offensive POG: John Hoese
-Defensive POG: Garrett Brown
-Special Forces POG: None (he made note that they don't give out these awards just for the sake of giving them out)
-Hard Hat Hit: Michael Carter and D.L. Willhite (was excited that they were both freshman)
-Lunch Pail Award: Nick Tow-Arnett
-Extra Effort: Lee Campbell
-Scout Offensive Player of the Week: Brooks Michael
-Scout Defensive Player of the Week: Brian Klitzke

-Brewster said that Carufel will start this week after sitting out with an injury

-Also said he doesn't anticipate anyone else out for the game regarding injuries

-He stated how fun of a week it is for everyone when it is Iowa week, for players, coaches, and fans

-Also mentioned how significant it is for the players and fans regarding the Floyd of Rosedale trophy, and how special it would be to end the season by winning the game and bringing the trophy back to Minnesota...he mentioned as well that the team will be bussing down there, and that it would be great to spend some time with "The Pig" on the bus ride home

-Regarding Iowa, he talked about how great their staff, players, and program are, and how they have done things very well

-It will be a very physical game on both sides of the ball, and that both the offensive and defensive fronts for the Hawkeyes are very tough

-He believes that the perception is that the Gophers will be big underdogs going into the game, and rightfully so, considering what the Hawkeyes have accomplished this season

-Regarding the offensive inconsistencies the Gophers have had this season, he said that has been caused in a number of ways, and that there is no one aspect that has not been to blame. He cited blocking, route running, and decision making among them

-He said that they have not really changed anything within their game plan now that Vandenberg is their quarterback rather than Stanzi

-He feels that when comparing the end of last season to this season, he feels that they are another year into the program, and that they have more depth than they did at the end of last year, which may have contributed in them wearing down somewhat at the end of last season

-He noted that he feels it is a good thing not to have to play Wisconsin and Iowa in back-to-back weeks, and that it's emotionally wearing to have to play your two biggest rivals one after another

-There is a scenario where Jeff Tow-Arnett can talk himself into the game game on Saturday. Brewster said he very much wants to play on Saturday, and he will be practicing today

-When asked if they had talked much about last year's 55-0 loss to Iowa this week, Brewster replied by saying that "those who refuse to study history are doomed to repeat it." While they had talked about it, however, they will not dwell on it, and are looking forward to this year's match-up instead

-He talked about how difficult it is for a team to play in Iowa, but not because of the pink locker room. He said that he doesn't buy that the color of the locker room has anything to do with performance on the field.

-He also recalled a story when he was playing with Illinois when they went to Kinnick Stadium, and that Mike White had covered the whole locker room with meat-wrap paper, so there was not a bit of pink to be seen. When asked whether they had won the game, Brewster replied that they had indeed beat the Hawkeyes that day.

-On his thoughts about winning Floyd of Rosedale: "It's not about me, it's about our team."

-He pointed out that both teams have won a lot of games when coming from behind, and that it was a very good sign of both teams' adversity and how they handle it

-When talking about the rivalry games with Iowa and Wisconsin, he pointed out that they are clearly significant games, and that he finds that to be more so now than before he got here, and he gets the magnitude of it now that he's here as the coach

-When asked to assess his time here as his third regular season comes to and end, he said he is excited about the progress that they have made in the three years he's been coach at Minnesota

-He added that he came in here with the belief that this has been a championship program in the past, and that it can be again, also pointing out that the things that can be done to make this program even better are being done. He closed by adding that some people still don't believe that this can be a championship-caliber program, but his reply to that was simply, "I know it can."

Doesn't Ellestad play special teams? And how sad is it that the offensive player of the week is our kicker?

Doesn't Ellestad play special teams? And how sad is it that the offensive player of the week is our kicker?

Don't dismiss Blake Haudan. He had their returner backpeddling on virtually every punt. Kick coverage and the return game were very poor though.

-Made the point that any win is a good win...

I'm pretty sure the South Dakota State game itself is evidence that this statement is simply not true. I just wish he would stop trying to sell the Gopher fan base shovels full of BS like this. No, I have no idea what he SHOULD have said, but I can tell you he should have said something else, or said nothing at all, rather than trying to call the SDSU win "good". It was disgusting - wouldn't we have a bit more respect for him as a coach if was willing to acknowledge that? I know that I would.

-He feels that when comparing the end of last season to this season, he feels that they are another year into the program, and that they have more depth than they did at the end of last year, which may have contributed in them wearing down somewhat at the end of last season.

I'd be interested in hearing more about this from him. Does he mean that the team was fatigued in November last year but not this year? Does he mean that the Gophers putrid November record is to be blamed on a lack of depth? I'm not trying to be a smarta%%...I'm really curious about what he meant here. At face value, I'm not buying anything about depth and the team wearing down in this or any season. If they are wearing down at all then that says something about the conditioning and preparation of the players does it not?

-When asked to assess his time here as his third regular season comes to and end, he said he is excited about the progress that they have made in the three years he's been coach at Minnesota

Again, statements like this one deserve follow-up questions. How would he define the progress that he's excited about? By what objective measures can the progress be judged? Maybe these are questions he'll be asked by the media (and Maturi) after the season is over...so there may be answers yet to come. I'm not suggesting he isn't making progress (I'll save that for another thread on another day) but I am very curious about how BREWSTER would define his progress. GHers talk all the time about progress that is being made or not made - I'd love to hear specifics from the coach.

Less than half the distance, Rocky and we took luxury coaches, not school buses.
"We"? Were you on the bus, Eric Lewis of Glen Burnie, Maryland? Last time I checked, you didn't go to Iowa anyway, you went to community college. Go back and sit in front of your Yamaha keyboard with you Kenny G saxophone. 35-year old "single as ever" loser.

Is it that hard for a sports reporter to ask, "With the lack of offensive production and lack of quality plays made by your quarterback, what is it going to take to play Marqueis Gray more?" Follow up with, "Will Marqueis Gray ever get a full series?"

Is it that hard for a sports reporter to ask, "With the lack of offensive production and lack of quality plays made by your quarterback, what is it going to take to play Marqueis Gray more?" Follow up with, "Will Marqueis Gray ever get a full series?"

+1

That is a great, great question.

That is the question: Will Gray play this year at QB - actually have a series or two? Last week's Gopher team would lose to Iowa 0-55 again. The Michigan State Gophers would be in a fight. Which team will show up?

They have a plan to develop the guy, and it has nothing to do with the progression of the game. Accept it or not, there in nothing short of injury that will result in Gray taking over against Iowa. If he gets a full series it's because its the next step in the coaches plan for him, not because of the game. The competition for starting QB doesn't start until spring ball.

They have a plan to develop the guy, and it has nothing to do with the progression of the game. Accept it or not, there in nothing short of injury that will result in Gray taking over against Iowa. If he gets a full series it's because its the next step in the coaches plan for him, not because of the game. The competition for starting QB doesn't start until spring ball.
There was no competition this year, what leads you to believe there will be one next year?

Like many coaches, he won't answer that ... he'll bounce around it ... now that being said, I heard him on 'CCO Sun. morning and he said the QB spot will be an open competition heading into next season ... in other words, Weber not guaranteed to start ... for Brewster, I thought that was very newsworthy...

And as for injuries, also like many coaches, he provides nothing ... last Tuesday he said there were no changes to his depth chart, yet Carufel, Sherels, and 2nd-teamer Anthony Jacobs (so he is listed) didn't play ... yet none of us had any idea until Sat. late morning.

Like many coaches, he won't answer that ... he'll bounce around it ... now that being said, I heard him on 'CCO Sun. morning and he said the QB spot will be an open competition heading into next season ... in other words, Weber not guaranteed to start ... for Brewster, I thought that was very newsworthy...

And as for injuries, also like many coaches, he provides nothing ... last Tuesday he said there were no changes to his depth chart, yet Carufel, Sherels, and 2nd-teamer Anthony Jacobs (so he is listed) didn't play ... yet none of us had any idea until Sat. late morning.

Yeah, I figured that would be the case. Thanks Doogie!

While I have no inside information and will be the first to claim I have no coaching knowledge on football but could it be that they're bringing him along slowly sort of like in a lot of cases in the NFL in fear of rushing him along too quick. The only reason why I bring this up is because didn't Gray have to sit out a year and was even injured and didn't play much of his senior year in high school? It's been a while since he's been under center. IDK i guess but I do think he's going to be a good qb when it's all said and done.

While I have no inside information and will be the first to claim I have no coaching knowledge on football but could it be that they're bringing him along slowly sort of like in a lot of cases in the NFL in fear of rushing him along too quick. The only reason why I bring this up is because didn't Gray have to sit out a year and was even injured and didn't play much of his senior year in high school? It's been a while since he's been under center. IDK i guess but I do think he's going to be a good qb when it's all said and done.

If this was the case, I would be totally fine with him. My only reply to that, if they were to feel he needs to be brought along slowly, why not redshirt him? He did participate in spring ball last year, so he did get quite amount of time in the system... actually the same amount of time as Weber.

Top Bottom