Ticket Sales?

WOW. That is illuminating (and humiliating).
I guess I can't blame the Alamo Bowl for passing us over.

It's not like Michigan State is going to bring a larger number, and the Alamo Bowl found that out first hand when they took Sparty over us in 2003. But, I've accepted that we're never going to get the benefit of the doubt from bowls until we change the attitude of our fan base, and that's not going to happen until we have that breakout season where we get to Pasadena.

I'm surprised Ohio State had more than 7,000 unsold tickets for the Fiesta Bowl last year (though it was the third time they'd played there in the last seven years, so like us, it gets tiresome to go back to the same destination).

... larger than 1,512?

Larger than we would bring to San Antonio, which this year, would be likely be about double that number. In 2003, I have no doubt we would've sold our allotment and then some for a date with Nebraska, and that could've been a turning point in changing the perception of our fan base. Another woulda/coulda/shoulda....

College football fans have to keep saying no to this bowl bs until they change the system. The entire bowl system is a joke and the sooner it is scrapped for a playoff, the better.

• Minnesota and the Big Ten bought the required 10,500 tickets for the Insight BowlSignOnSanDiego Topics Topics last year in Arizona. They only sold 1,512, absorbing a loss of $434,340.

Hmm. And we had to bus to Iowa. I can't imagine why? Honest question, does the U sell these at face value? Do they have to? If they're going to eat the tickets anyway, they're better off slashing them to $10 which probably matches what you can buy them for online.

one of the local news stations in des moines thursday night reported that isu is ahead of minnesota on ticket sales at a 6-1 margin. if isu has sold 7,000, i would assume minnesota has sold ~1,200. i am not certain as to how they got that information, since they didn't bother saying exactly how many tickets were sold, but isu reported on tuesday(?) that it was 7,000.

one of the local news stations in des moines thursday night reported that isu is ahead of minnesota on ticket sales at a 6-1 margin. if isu has sold 7,000, i would assume minnesota has sold ~1,200. i am not certain as to how they got that information, since they didn't bother saying exactly how many tickets were sold, but isu reported on tuesday(?) that it was 7,000.

Iowa should never outpace Minnesota in anything 6 to 1 that doesn't have to do with swine or corn. Seriously.

Iowa should never outpace Minnesota in anything 6 to 1 that doesn't have to do with swine or corn. Seriously.

well, we haven't been to a bowl game since 2005, and this is the 3rd trip to tempe for minnesota. plus, after the blizzard last week, we want to get the heck out of iowa for a while.:pig:

College football fans have to keep saying no to this bowl bs until they change the system. The entire bowl system is a joke and the sooner it is scrapped for a playoff, the better.

It seems as if Gopher fans are the only people who received the memo :eek:

Let's see..
I went to all seven home games ($550 for two)
Parking ($70)
Stayed in hotels for four games (about $450)
Gas from Duluth (about $200)
Meals and drinks (about $300)
That's over $1,500 I spent on Gopher Football this year.
Now I'm supposed to feel guilty because, after spending about $1,500 more on a trip to the Insight Bowl, my wife and I are planning to save a few bucks by dealing with a scalper?
I feel no regrets about having an extra $70, which is what we'll be saving.
I'll gladly buy a ticket through the U when we earn our way to a better bowl.

It seems as if Gopher fans are the only people who received the memo :eek:

Minnesotans love to be contrarian. Everyone else travels and follows thier teams to Bowls? Suckers! We say NO! Everyone else builds publicly funded sports stadium to keep thier team in town and competative? Suckers! We say NO! Let them move! We don't need them. We know better then everyone else. Suckers.:cool:

All I can say is that I'm not going to the bowl game either but I think in the Twin Cities we are little different than say Iowa when it comes time to decide whether or not to attend a bowl game.

On top of my 2 Gopher football tickets I have:
2 season tickets to Gopher Men's BB (1200 dollars)
2 seats for 10 Twins Games (800 dollars) I'm a season ticket holder with 8 other guys.

So just in tickets I'm at 2500 bucks....now add parking and food.

In Iowa they are giving away their men's bb tickets (just went to Iowa STate's website and they are offering season tickets for $99 dollars) and the only ball game in town is probably town ball, which is free. So Iowa football is all they have.

I've gotten ZERO emails regarding the bowl game from the U....
I also think the U needs to get a little more creative trying to sell these tickets as well.

Buy a ticket to the bowl game through the U and get a free tour of TCF Bank Stadium?
Buy a ticket to the bowl game through the U and get a free seat cushion next season?
Buy a ticket to the bowl game through the U and get an team autographed poster?
Buy a ticket to the bowl game and a Goal Line Club membership and get.......

I think the U misses out on a lot of $$$ opportunities.
I'd like to know what percentage of season ticket holders are members of the Goal Line Club?
The goal should be that EVERYONE is. Right? I joined a few years back just for the media guide.

When season tickets come, why do they waste their time with that stupid 'gopher sports savings' booklets? Wouldn't a Gold Country catalog be more appropriate in the mailing showing the newest gear? And why not start a seasonal tee shirt? So each year it becomes a norm to purchase the 'enter year here' official U of M Football tee shirt...Michigan does this and does it well.

So does anybody know how many tickets the U has sold?

I just got around to examining mine, and well.... they suck. This is especially frustrating given that I have been a ticket holder for years, bought through the U and albeit not the very first minute, fairly early and before the priority deadline. And now I hear figures bandied about like >2000 tickets to be sold and it makes me say WTF how can the frickin idiots down at Mariucci screw this up. I am 25 rows up and outside of the 20's? We all know I can scalp tickets that will be lower to the field and inside the 40's for around the same price and futhermore I can probably just walk over there and sit BECAUSE THE *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ING UNIVERSITY CAN BARELY SELL ENOUGH TO FILL A GODDAM CHARTER PLANE! ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHH!

yet somehow I still love the gophers more than any other team, but why, oh why must they hurt me? I feel better. But next time the gophers go bowling and I have the scratch to make the trip, I will sorely think twice about bothering to go through the ticket office.

So does anybody know how many tickets the U has sold?

I just got around to examining mine, and well.... they suck. This is especially frustrating given that I have been a ticket holder for years, bought through the U and albeit not the very first minute, fairly early and before the priority deadline. And now I hear figures bandied about like >2000 tickets to be sold and it makes me say WTF how can the frickin idiots down at Mariucci screw this up. I am 25 rows up and outside of the 20's? We all know I can scalp tickets that will be lower to the field and inside the 40's for around the same price and futhermore I can probably just walk over there and sit BECAUSE THE *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#ING UNIVERSITY CAN BARELY SELL ENOUGH TO FILL A GODDAM CHARTER PLANE! ARRRRRRGGGGGGHHH!

yet somehow I still love the gophers more than any other team, but why, oh why must they hurt me? I feel better. But next time the gophers go bowling and I have the scratch to make the trip, I will sorely think twice about bothering to go through the ticket office.

This is the problem with buying tickets through the University's allotment (this is true with all bowl games at all schools). The bowl folks stick the two participating schools with terrible seats. It happens all the time. Iowa fans are in an uproar because most of their allotment of 17,000 tickets are in the worst parts of the Landshark Stadium in Miami. It happens every year to all the schools.

We get preached to to buy tickets through the U because it helps the school, but the problem is with most of these bowls you can log onto the bowl's website and buy tickets with better seat locations and sometimes cheaper because the school's are forced to sell with a higher handling surcharge.

I'm not sure why the bowls do this, but they do.

Between that, and forcing schools to buy the entire 10,000+ allotment, it is no wonder there are now 32 bowl games. When you guarantee yourself 20,000 of your worst seats are going to be sold, no wonder you can make money.

The schools and conferences should take a stand on this, IMHO.

And, to answer your question UFLR - you probably got some of the best seats in the U's allotment. That's just how bad the allotment usually is.

I understand that our ticket office has sold about 500 so far.

many reasons but the this will be the 3rd time in 4 years to the Insight bowl and Phoenix.

All the negative talk here and the media surely hasn't helped either.

Yes, all the negative talk on a message board has affected ticket sales...sure it has...no doubt...:rolleyes:

All I can say is that I'm not going to the bowl game either but I think in the Twin Cities we are little different than say Iowa when it comes time to decide whether or not to attend a bowl game.

In Iowa they are giving away their men's bb tickets (just went to Iowa STate's website and they are offering season tickets for $99 dollars) and the only ball game in town is probably town ball, which is free. So Iowa football is all they have.

Well, I am going to the bowl game from the Twin Cities and I am not the only one. Not all Iowa State fans live in Iowa. An old college roommate is meeting me from L.A..

Also, season tickets are available *starting* at $99...for the Upper level corners, etc. What is the lowest price availabe for Gopher MBB tickets?

Iowa State Guy...

The price for a Gopher basketball season ticket STARTS at $600 per seat.
EVERY seat is the same price, however, chairback seats in Williams require a donation on top of the ticket price.

tickets

contractually the U will have to pay for 10,000 tickets whether they sell them or not, it just how it works. For a BCS bowl you'd have to pick up 17,500 seats at $135 each (or more), Boise State hasn't sold all their seats yet but took 19,000 instead of 17,500 just to look better and keep up with TCU who also took more than minimum. The U may also need to pay for tailgating passes and parking passes as well? You do for a BCS game.

Top Bottom