Thoughts on the new Gopher offense

gandharva

Curmudgeon-at-large
Reaction score
We have heard from new OC Jedd Fisch that he intends to feature a "Pro-Style" offense. So what does this mean? To me, a pro-style offense means multiple sets used in a never ending battle of wits with the opposing DC. Pro offenses analyze the opposing defenses tendencies, strengths and weaknesses and develop a strategic game plan for any given game. Then, during the game they make tactical adjustments to that plan in an effort to "take what the defense is giving them" or catch the defense in a disadvantageous set or scheme. This means the Gophers are likely to use many different offensive formations with the QB under center with one or two backs and any number of receiver sets from 3 tight ends to four wide outs. They will also use the QB in a "shotgun" formation with two, one or zero backs and spread the field with the remaining receivers. They will undoubtedly also vary their line splits from tight in to spread out, depending on the situation.

This is an ambitious effort. In college only teams with quality talent and depth at all positions can even attempt this type of offense. Many college teams try to run with the pack by using gadget offenses in an attempt to counteract superior opposing talent. The wishbone, veer, run and shoot and the current trend, the "spread' in all it's many variations were pretty much all developed by low to mid major coaches trying to make their teams more competitive with the traditionally successful high major teams. If a particular coach could lower the number of quality athletes he needed to recruit to a program in order to succeed, by running some kind of gadget scheme, he could hope to negate the obvious advantages in talent of the "big boys". I believe Brewster bought into this type of thinking when he hired Dunbar.

With a few notable exceptions most of the high profile colleges run some type of "pro" offense, using multiple sets and different personnel packages as needed. They can recruit the quality and quantity of athletes needed to do this successfully. Teams like Air Force, with the Wishbone, and Hawaii, recently with it's Run and Shoot have compensated for an overall lack of competitive talent for many years and have been modestly successful in doing so, by recruiting to the needs of their schemes. While I am excited to see the Gophers attempt such an ambitious effort I am resigned to the fact that it may take several more years of upgrading talent in order to successfully run with the "big boys" and utilize a fully functional multi-dimensional "pro-style" offense. By hiring Fisch and moving to a "pro-style" offense I believe Brewster is admitting that if we want to play with the top teams we have to play like the top teams. This kind of thinking is risky but consistent with Brewsters near manic drive to be successful.

I believe that in 2009 we will have enough depth and quality of talent to at least try to run this kind of offense but it will feature a lot of youthful and untried talent. The question seems to be whether or not Brewster and Fisch will be given enough time to recruit and develop the kind of players they need to make this very risky but essential move into big time college offensive football work. It is my opinion that very few juggernauts were created overnight. But in this world of instant gratification we may never get to see the Gophers become a juggernaut once again as they were in the late 30's, early 40's and early 60's. To me this ambitious plan is a risk worth taking. I just hope it succeeds before the circling vultures exact their pound of flesh from Brewster, driving him away and Minnesota back into football mediocrity, where some seem more comfortable imagining it belongs.

About the only thing I am concerned about with the Offense is Fisch and Davis working together. If they are able to make 2 heads better then 1, I think we are in for an outstanding season, a fork in the road season where they offense makes long term significant improvement which in turn encourages better recruits to start seeing the Gophers in a better way and encouraged to become a part of an up and coming program!

As for the type of offense, I strongly suspect it will be acclimated to the talent on the team, which suggests a mixture of Pro and spread!

Nice write up. I would argue that 2010 is more realistic for us to see on field success. As overall team strength given a four year recruiting analyisis still only has us at 7-8 in the big ten for the up coming year.

I also think the style can be added a little at a time and actually built off of what is already in place. hopefully, a more proudent tact will avoid any clusterf..k/baby out with the bath water changes. Needless to say it'll make it interesting.

Chances are, whatever Fisch inputs, the offense will likely improve because let's face it, it was flat out terrible by the end of conference season last year. The line play will improve, the running game will improve, so the offense will look better anyway. It probably won't work as well as we will all want it to next season, but I'm excited about the prospects in 2010 once rhythm gets established and guys have a couple years in the system.

About the only thing I am concerned about with the Offense is Fisch and Davis working together. If they are able to make 2 heads better then 1, I think we are in for an outstanding season, a fork in the road season where they offense makes long term significant improvement which in turn encourages better recruits to start seeing the Gophers in a better way and encouraged to become a part of an up and coming program!

As for the type of offense, I strongly suspect it will be acclimated to the talent on the team, which suggests a mixture of Pro and spread!

^^^^^
Which is why I think we'll be just fine this season. Tailor the offense to the talent you have, and find a balance in the playbook between diverse, imaginative, and not-too-much-to-absorb-and-master.

Top Bottom