Thoughts on the game

Except WI does everything a little better and more consistently than we do. They have lost to two very good teams, and a good team. They do not have a bad loss all year, and they dominated Iowa and Purdue. They have put it together pretty consistently on both sides of the ball ever since Michigan, with the one game dip on defense last week. Offensively they have been getting better, consistently, throughout the year.

I don't know that we have put it altogether a single game this year, other than Colorado and they are awful so not sure it was us or them. Purdue was close to putting together, but they moved the ball on us at will and made mistakes Wisconsin won't. It will take playing our best on both sides of the ball. We haven't done it yet this year really.

In the end, PJ will have to get out of the way on the offensive side and not be so conservative. Everyone blames Sanford, but PJ is the one driving the approach. He has to let them play a little and take some risks if they are going to have a chance.
Agree with the take but disagree that Penn State is a good team. Penn state no better than Minnesota. Hopefully we can replicate what they did

Obviously starts with stopping their run game. Had same plan in '19 & did a pretty good job for the most part on Taylor, but Coan was on point & was able to make us pay. I haven't seen that same ability from Mertz, so hopefully it can play out that way. Of course with our history, it wouldn't shock me if Mertz was magically able to find his game. The D will have to be able to make some plays 1 on 1 on their WR's & on Ferguson.

Offensively: Has to start with minimizing turnovers. Line has to play nasty, & the O will have to make a few plays in the passing game.

Special Teams: Hopefully if we need a big kick, Trickett is up for the challenge. I have been encouraged with his past 2 weeks.

My synopsis sounds rather boring & cliche, but there really isn't any magic to this. Mistakes, turnovers & big plays.

So what do you think is going to happen? What chances do you give us to win this game? I know I'll get ripped, but I just don't see how our offense is going to move the ball and score against this defense. I don't see how we're going to keep from turning the ball over on offense. How we're going to negate Wisconsin's linebackers?

The one time we beat the Badgers Morgan hit the slant multiple times. Have we been running the ball all year for this game? Do we just line up and run it 80% of the time and say let's see who's stronger and tougher? I don't think there is any way Morgan is going to be able to drop back and have time to pass. Play action, screens, and quick passes are the only chance imo. Only hope is to out muscle them, push them around.

I also think our defense is going to have to play lights out and get a couple of turnovers, and even score itself, or bring those turnovers inside the 10 yard line. We are going to need a lot of breaks in this game imo. Maybe some special teams breaks as well.

If the Gophers win I see it as a 21-17 score. I could see Wisconsin winning anywhere from 17-10 to 34-10.

Hmmmm...

The last time we beat Wisconsin, way back in 2018, Tanner Morgan completed a grand total of 9 passes for 124 yards. 0 TDs, 0 INTs. 16 total attempts.

Meanwhile on that glorious day, the Gophers ran the ball 47 times for 201 yards and 3 TDs. If memory serves, a fair number of those 47 rushing attempts were the much-despised, always dreaded RUTMs. Oh, and the Gophers scored 3 rushing TDs that day, too.

And if you look at time of possession, which quite a few GopherHolers seem to scoff at, the Gophers held the ball for 35:06, to Wisconsin's 24:54.

So, if you assume the Gophers will follow the same formula that worked effectively most recently against Wisconsin, then, yes... Gophers are probably gonna pound that rock on Saturday.

Speaking of that 2018 game, how does GopherHole feel Graham Mertz compares to Alex Hornibrook?

The last time the Badgers came to town the atmosphere was electric and we started out with the big play to Bateman. We just seemed too pumped for that game. I feel the team and us fans are coming into this game without the big expectations of 2019. I believe we match up well with them and expect a very well played game from the home team.

The Nebby/Bucky game last week gives me a lot of hope as it showed how to beat that defense. I don't think Nebby's defense is any different, if at all, in that game compared to the Gophs game, and Gophs have a better defense than Nebby.
Do you think Tanner can do what Martinez did?

Hard to gauge this one.

I feel like we can and will be competitive. It was Indiana but I think the Gophers on the field last Saturday could take it to the Badgers aka taking it to I-O-W-A.

Then the side of me that witnessed BG and Illinois where Tanner could not find a pocket even if it was in his pants...or a wide open receiver...sometimes not his fault...pops up for the reality check.

If we somehow spot Wisconsin more than a touchdown the pattern this year suggests we are in trouble. That is just where this team is.

We'll be yelling in 211 for sure. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

to win this game, I think the Gophers will have to upset their tendencies. run on passing downs. pass on running downs. run screens, jet sweeps, reverses, flea flickers. in short, throw it at the wall and see what sticks. make Wisconsin react to MN instead of the other way around.

now, do I think the Gopher coaches would actually do that?

No chance in h*ll.

I’m worried, as usual. Allen is a beast and I don’t think we faced anyone like him all year. He’s legit 240 pounds and incredibly difficult to bring down. He’s going to be a handful for years. He’s literally only 17. My hope is that we can slow him down and force Mertz to beat us. I don’t think their receivers are anything special and for some reason I think we’re going to score some points on them like Nebraska did last week. Fingers crossed.
No one has stopped Allen is the past five games as he has averaged 155 yd/game. He rolled for 228 against the Huskers. I don't think the Gophers will be able to contain him either unless they sell out with 8 in the box and man coverage.

IMO, the key is stopping the Mertz to Ferguson connection especially if our LB have to focus on Allen. Also, I think our D has to change up a bit to put pressure of Mertz.

Of course, Morgan is the key on offense and no turnovers as the Badger rush D is really tough. IMO, they will game plan to contain the run to force us to pass.

I

to win this game, I think the Gophers will have to upset their tendencies. run on passing downs. pass on running downs. run screens, jet sweeps, reverses, flea flickers. in short, throw it at the wall and see what sticks. make Wisconsin react to MN instead of the other way around.

No chance in h*ll.

Did you think the Gopher coaches had a good game plan in 2018?

Did you think the Gopher coaches had a good game plan in 2018?
From my recollection, that 2018 game Wisconsin wasn’t playing for a Big Ten West title. I think Wisconsin has to be a little off for us to have a chance Saturday. Almost 14 yards per completion in 2018. 9 completions for an average of 14 yards per with no turnovers should keep us in the game. I’d say Minnesota was much more motivated in 2018 than Wisconsin.

I’m worried, as usual. Allen is a beast and I don’t think we faced anyone like him all year. He’s legit 240 pounds and incredibly difficult to bring down. He’s going to be a handful for years. He’s literally only 17. My hope is that we can slow him down and force Mertz to beat us. I don’t think their receivers are anything special and for some reason I think we’re going to score some points on them like Nebraska did last week. Fingers crossed.

Yeah, I hope they’re practicing tackling this week.

No chance in h*ll.
What percent of the time have we thrown the ball on first down this year?
On second and less than 7?
On second and more than 7?

No chance in h*ll.
Good teams make the opponents react/change schemes. I don’t think Wisconsin will do anything different. We will be the ones changing schemes/react. Sad

The reason I believe UW struggled with Nebraska is team speed at the skill positions and a mobile QB. I don't see Morgan having that ability, nor the TE's. The QB and TE killed UW. Was it a good blueprint for denting their defense? Definitely. Does UM have the personnel to pull that off. IDK

Both teams will sell out to stop the run and force the opposing QB and receivers to beat them. Pass game, turnovers and special teams decide the game.

What if it is 60% pass on first downs against teams with winning record? What’s the right number? 80% 90%
What difference does it make if a team has a winning record or not?

There are some that argue passing on first down is always advantageous - unless you’re not good at blocking, passing, catching, or pass play design.

This game comes down to a mindset of individuals doing their job/assignment and beating their opponent on every play/snap. Execution. OL vs DL. O players vs D players. Special teams vs Special Teams. Should be one hell of a ball game. Go Gophers!

Top Bottom