Thoughts on players announcing they were just offered a scholarship from a school?

LakevilleBro

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on players announcing on social media, that they were offered scholarships by certain schools? It seems like it should be more private, but maybe I would do the same thing if I was a high school Senior. Just wondering what others think of this. GO GOPHERS.

The only thing I question on this topic is why I would have an opinion on the matter.

100% okay with a kid letting his followers know that he has been offered by this school or that school.
What is the down side? The kid earned it!

The only thing I question on this topic is why I would have an opinion on the matter.
We must judge all things as they are most certainly proof of the truth of whatever garbage we already believe!

Yes. Your/my fandom and message board surfing are far less important than an accomplishment in a young man's life.

What are your thoughts on players announcing on social media, that they were offered scholarships by certain schools? It seems like it should be more private, but maybe I would do the same thing if I was a high school Senior. Just wondering what others think of this. GO GOPHERS.

Do you post when you get a promotion? When you graduate? When you have children? These are accomplishments and/or big life events. Just like a scholarship offer. Also, I’m sure there is some degree of School A sees that School B just offered, so they need to offer now and can’t wait for another option, or to see another game’s tape, or u til Junior Day, etc., so they offer sooner.

In addition to it being an accomplishment for the kid, them making an announcement is usually the only way we find out about offers because schools aren't allowed to give much information about who they are recruiting directly. Therefore, the kids reporting offers is the main way recruiting services can track who has offered whom.

Curious why you think a scholarship offer should be kept private. Have zero issue with people announcing it. Only time it feels a little weird is when they post about another offer while verbally committed to a different school but even that isn't a big deal.

Way better then when kids post a “top 5” and a decision date then do a countdown to the decision. Wasn’t there a Gopher recruit a few years back that posted a “top 10”. That is really silly.

I think it's pretty awesome for those kids, they should be proud.

As Spoofin and one his burner accounts was alluding to, some of the spectacle can start to get old. Countdowns. Top 15s. Etc.

However, a HS kid being excited about getting offers, going on visits, and choosing a college - - I'm all for it. They deserve the attention.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not big on the spotlight grabbing that the whole recruiting process brings about (the hat picking announcements always make me vomit), but this is really no worse than anything else that people feel the need to share with the world (job offers, etc.). And I don't blame the kids completely for all of this, it's just as much driven by creepy adults as well.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm not big on the spotlight grabbing that the whole recruiting process brings about (the hat picking announcements always make me vomit), but this is really no worse than anything else that people feel the need to share with the world (job offers, etc.). And I don't blame the kids completely for all of this, it's just as much driven by creepy adults as well.

It's called being social...

Has anyone seen an announcement online when a top student receives an academic scholarship? There may be something in a small local newspaper or something similar.

Has anyone seen an announcement online when a top student receives an academic scholarship? There may be something in a small local newspaper or something similar.

This kind of argument gets made all the time when people get upset about all the attention paid to sports over other things being done at Universities.

The bottom line is that there are not websites devoted to academic scholarships the way their are to football scholarships. People obsess over recruiting and track it non stop. A football scholarship offer is a big deal to a lot of people, right or wrong it is just the way it is.

Yes I admit I am in the minority here, and probably rightfully so. I'm not trying to bash everyone who does it, it's just not my thing.

I am not a big fan of the hat ceremonies. Stringing schools along in order to have you "look at me" moment. But some love them and to each their own I guess. But posting about an offer on Twitter doesn't bug me one bit.

I am not a big fan of the hat ceremonies. Stringing schools along in order to have you "look at me" moment. But some love them and to each their own I guess. But posting about an offer on Twitter doesn't bug me one bit.
Agreed there is a big difference between the two. I'm just not a social media guy, but I accept that that is what kids do, and it's not really about me or what I think.

Most schools I'm sure encourage players to share their scholarships publicly. It promotes the school. Fleck and staff have been dropping scholarships all over the last few days and everyone on twitter can see that. Coaches follow twitter and I'm sure it's a huge recruiting assistant to many programs.

My thought -

some players announce every scholarship offer. But, logic dictates that they can only accept one offer.

If a kid commits to school A, that is news. If a kid gets offers from Schools, B, C, D, E, F etc, I'm not sure that it's such a big deal. Schools throw out a lot of offers. some are are serious than others.

So, if a kid gets an offer from School A, and he has no real intention of going there, or he's waiting for an offer from his dream school, why make a big deal out of the offer.

it's like a guy bragging that he asked the hottest girl in school to the Prom. If she accepts, that's news. the Offer, in and of itself, is not news as I see it. At least not on the same level as a commitment. (which is still not final, but that's another conversation.)

Believe it or not, a lot of schools tell kids to put it out there and even supply the kids with the graphic they post when they announce the offer

Most schools I'm sure encourage players to share their scholarships publicly. It promotes the school. Fleck and staff have been dropping scholarships all over the last few days and everyone on twitter can see that. Coaches follow twitter and I'm sure it's a huge recruiting assistant to many programs.
This is facts

As long as they say they are "blessed" when they announce, I'm okay with it.

Kids announcing offers-Pro
Random fans tweeting said recruit-Against

Top Bottom