Thoughts on lifting texing/email/calling restriction for NCAA Hoops coaches

GopherLady

Reaction score
I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed yet:

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...ospects-April?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Sports
Coaches also will be allowed unlimited communication (call, text or email) beginning June 15 of a prospect's sophomore year.

Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. The attention that surrounds these kids are bad enough. I've had a number of 4 or 5 star recruits tell me they literally get 100+ calls and texts a day from just the media. Add onto that coaches, and this will just add to the circus that is recruiting.

Here's another change they are proposing:

There had been evaluation periods in April and July until a change two years ago limited coaches to two 10-day sessions in July. They will now be allowed two three-day weekends in April, as well as three four-day periods in July.

Mixed feelings on the communication changes.. overall, not a big fan because some (many) will go way overboard.

On the April and July periods - those changes have been approved for 2012. Most of the proposals go into effect August 1, 2012, but the eval periods are effectively changed now. Based on the rule and the calendar, it appears it'll be the last two weekends in April for the first evaluation period this coming spring. I like it! If I recall correctly, the time frame allowed is 6pm Friday night until 4pm Sunday... should be interesting to see what the event organizers come up with. Pastner is probably going to see if the HP league will push its start time up to April. :p

Personally, I think this is a horrible idea. The attention that surrounds these kids are bad enough. I've had a number of 4 or 5 star recruits tell me they literally get 100+ calls and texts a day from just the media. Add onto that coaches, and this will just add to the circus that is recruiting.

Agreed. I am not pals with a lot of D-1 revenue sport athletes, but it makes sense that the communiaction restrictions were in place to proetect the kids and their famlies from intrusion. We all know what a pain it is to get called at dinner time. Multiply that 100 fold for a highly sought after recruit. This ruling is not about the well being of the kids. Bad idea, and I think in some ways it will make recruiting harder because coaches are going to have figure out what recruits want to be bombarded and which ones want reasonable privacy.

I can't wait for the first person to rip Tubby for only texting Tyus/Vaughn/Washington 42 times per month while some site quotes some kid's AAU coach that some assistant and Matta are each texting Tuys/Vaughn/Washington 94 times per month. How on earth can our coaches be so lazy?!

Go Gophers!!

Is there any way that we can tell all of these pressures on potential recruits that it is too much for young kids to handle? My God, these kids are not allowed to be kids anymore.

I wanna puke soon.

I think part of the problem is caused by the kids when it comes to media. Idk why they would want to give the media there numbers.

I think part of the problem is caused by the kids when it comes to media. Idk why they would want to give the media there numbers.

There are many ways for the media to get their numbers other than directly from the source.

There are many ways for the media to get their numbers other than directly from the source.
This is true, but at that point you tell them that if they actually want any information from you, they can't harass you and if they do you block the number.

Because they're kids, and most of them are very polite and nice. When I did recruiting, there were only a few that insisted on giving their parents numbers as a contact - but eventually people end up find out the kid's number anyways.

It's hard for adults to say no, much less for kids to do it.

I can't wait for the first person to rip Tubby for only texting Tyus/Vaughn/Washington 42 times per month while some site quotes some kid's AAU coach that some assistant and Matta are each texting Tuys/Vaughn/Washington 94 times per month. How on earth can our coaches be so lazy?!

Go Gophers!!

I think that's the problem though. Some (many?) kids will equate the number of texts/calls/emails with the amount of "love" schools have for them. It's mentioned all the time when various sites interview kids. The kids want to be wanted and if their is no limit on the amount of contact schools can have, those staffs that are the most determined will likely win out. This will likely be bad for schools with older coaches and great for schools with younger coaches who are both more adapt with the technology and have more energy to constantly contact kids. I think it's a bad rule change and don't see any positives to making the change. I will be one who rips Tubby for only texting 42 times if other schools are texting 94 times because I want whoever coaches the Gophers to use the rules to the fullest extent to attract the best possible talent. If it's legal, and it will help, I want them doing it. The problem is the NCAA is now going to let a coach like Calipari or another disliked coach to set the "standard" for how many times a school should contact a recruit.

More NCAA stuff

Received this in a letter from Gopher Fan Relations. I like paragraphs 2 and 3. They have some bite. ... the NCAA is taking some positive steps.

Last week, the NCAA Division I Board of Directors passed several sweeping initiatives that will have a dramatic impact on college athletics. The bulk of the legislation is aimed at bolstering the academic performance of both teams and individuals.

One of the most dramatic initiatives will be implemented next year, when the NCAA begins the two-year phase-in of a plan that mandates minimum academic performance levels for teams to participate in postseason competition, including bowl games. Postseason eligibility will be based on a team's Academic Progress Rate (APR)**. Programs that fall beneath the NCAA's new benchmark (or cutline) will be ineligible for postseason play.

The board also strengthened eligibility requirements for incoming freshmen and junior college transfers. Freshmen have been eligible to compete at the intercollegiate level since the early 1970s. Academic requirements will now require high school prospects to maintain at least a 2.3 grade-point average in the 16 core courses to be immediately eligible to compete. The NCAA has also increased the minimum GPA for junior college transfers to be immediately eligible from 2.0 to 2.5.

Top Bottom